SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Pedestrian crossing by Forest Hill Station (Perry Vale side)
Sherwood

02-11-2011 01:48 PM

There are two types of pedestrian in Forest Hill - the quick and the dead!

Find all posts by this user
Cellar Door

02-11-2011 03:50 PM

seeformiles wrote:
...that you're able to nimbly negotiate your way across the road.

But remember not everyone is in a position to be as adept or nimble...

For myself, I'm certainly neither adept nor nimble. With my hearing going, my eyesight fading and my right hip clicking louder with each step I'm even more cautious and slower than ever at crossing the road.

I know that you are looking out for others there, seeformiles, as I appreciated what you wrote in your first post:

"Imagine how people with small children or low vision/ impaired hearing must feel."

Erekose

02-11-2011 09:20 PM

Intersting as I also cross opposite Finches, walk down to the lights and then cross back when going home via the Co-op. This must be the optimal route.
Visibility not so good when approaching the station in the morning it has to be said unless the traffic is very heavy in which case it is usually ok. A refuge halfway across would solve a lot of the problems. Its a shame that when the 'table' opposite the tunnel was rebuilt was given gentler approach ramps as this encourages motorists not to slow down. My experience of driving over it is that it is too gentle to be effective.
I don't want to seem to be obsessed with the speed of cars in the Perry vale area but I have also had problems at the Sunderland Road / South Circ. junction and an aquaintance was hit by a car at this junction a few years back (car turned off the south circ. at speed without indicating).

Perryman

03-11-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:
I will try asking the Council highways guys for their borough-wide strategy for deciding where to put these (neon smillie speed recorders), and whether/how they monitor the effectiveness of each deployment.

I'll also suggest putting one, at least for a time, on Perry Vale outside the station entrance.

If these devices also record the amount of traffic then I think that could provide very useful information, that could then hopefully be acted on.

My experience is that in the mornings before 9.00, the traffic is often heavy enough to be a continuous stream and you can only get across PV if someone stops for you - and to be fair a significant number do. But traffic is only going to give way at a recognised crossing point.

Like these useless speed cushions, what is outside the station is neither one thing or the other. It sort of looks like a crossing to pedestrians, but not to traffic. That is not a good combination.

Snazy

03-11-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm sure many of us do consider our pedestrian roles in this.
Doesn't alter the fact that too many motorists drive too fast.

Just out of interest, what would you presume the average speed to be around the area of the underpass, and steps from Platform 2.
Not trying to start an arguement here, and I support the fact that the drivers do NOT pay enough attention on this piece of road. However I do think that trying to clamp down on speed legally will be almost pointless.

Due to the curve in the road, how narrow it is, and of course the challenge in crossing the road, the speed of the cars 'appears' excessive, but from experience I would say very few cars are actually exceeding the speed limit.

A refuge in the middle of the road is really a non starter I would think, Due to the width of the road, you are more likely to be struck on said refuge by a car misjudging it. YES the motorist would be in the wrong, but you would still be in hospital or a box.

I have attached an image of our favourite piece of road, taken this morning. Hopefully from this it is possible to see that a centre refuge would not be practical, especially for emergency vehicles and other large vehicles passing. However the length of the road and line of sight WOULD allow for a chicane to be installed. Which would a/ slow traffic, allowing right of way for traffic coming from the south circ to avoid congestion, and b/ create a narrower, slower, 'safer' point to cross the road at. Meanwhile allowing for an emergency vehicle bump free passage.

Even if one was made on a temp basis with water filled red and white barriers, this would test the theory.

A car parked near the cab office last night actually created an improptu chicane, anyone getting off the train about 6.45 might have seen this. The traffic although heavy was a lot calmer.

Who would need approaching about an experimental chicane?

One after thought, hopefully a chicane area would also stop the piece of road being used as a pick-up / drop-off point.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Cellar Door

03-11-2011 01:10 PM

Perryman wrote:
It sort of looks like a crossing to pedestrians, but not to traffic.

Absolutely.

I believe I’ve got a superb example of a Raised Pedestrian Crossing with all the appropriate warning signs and bits and bobs.

On my cycle route to and from work I most often ride along Birdcage Walk.

This is a Google Streetview of one of the three Raised Pedestrian Crossings along there. People use them to get to and from the beautiful St. James’s Park. Even saw a couple of geese using it early one morning!

You can see the triangular warning sign. And the white triangles painted on the road.

Maybe having both of these could help traffic understand what it is?

As mentioned by Perryman this is not a good combination to have pedestrians trying to cross there at what appears to be an attempt to establish a Raised Pedestrian Crossing.

Compare ours to what is in Birdcage Walk in Westminster and it sorta looks like our people in making it have just downed tools halfway through for a break, gone for a cuppa and then forgot to come back to put the signs up and the other finishing bits.

Oh, as a wonderful reminder from our friends at The Highway Code here is the opening sentence…

“The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other.”

When I’m cycling along Birdcage Walk I observe that the vast majority of motorists slow right down or stop and allow pedestrians to cross. Of course, on occasion there are those that don’t quite know what to do and gaily sail through leaving many pedestrians shuffling around on the pavement waiting to cross. And getting cross!

Triangular warning signs are designed to let road users know about hazards on the road ahead so you can look out for them and be prepared. Maybe that is what this little spot of bother is crying out for?

Snazy

03-11-2011 08:20 PM

Bit of a weird experiment but I thought I would give it a go. I have just made 3 passes along that stretch, normal comfortable speed checking line of sight, slightly increased speed, in control but certainly didn't feel right to pass through there, and in the opposite direction.

Firstly no speed limits were broken, in fact it would have felt horrible to have gone any faster.
And secondly, is there were a single island chicane in place it would be perfectly managable by cars.

Done my bit now lol

Erekose

05-11-2011 04:29 PM

I think Snazy is right in that the narrowing of the road they carried out as part of the 'improvement' works has made a central refuge impossible without major realignment of the pavements (unlikely given the current climate). I was very annoyed at the time as it was fairly obvious that what they have done would make it worse.
I find that the cars that stop to drop off / pick up people do serve the useful function of slowing other cars down.

Snazy

05-11-2011 11:16 PM

The people doing the dropping off and picking up do indeed slow the traffic and only support my call for a chinane there.

Perryman

07-11-2011 10:03 AM

Cars speeding along PV in the late evening has always been a problem, so I would not argue with the placement of chicanes along the road.

But I do not want drivers concentrating on manoeuvring their cars at a crossing point.

I do not understand why a pelican crossing is thought expensive - in the 60's the computer to control it may well have been the size and cost of a house but today would be cheaper and smaller than the bulbs.

They are just metal poles with lights.

Sherwood

07-11-2011 07:49 PM

I think we are back to the fact that no-one has been injured or killed crossing the road. That always seems to be required before a crosssing is justified!

NewForester

08-11-2011 10:16 AM

Perryman wrote:
in the 60's the computer to control it may well have been the size and cost of a house but today would be cheaper and smaller than the bulbs.

In the 60's it would have been done using mechanical timers and relay logic - not a computer in sight.

Perryman

08-11-2011 07:19 PM

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/tr...sings.aspx

Quote:
Each [pelican crossing] site is surveyed and the results compared with national criteria to identify the most needy locations. Factors measured include:

the number of people crossing
the amount of traffic
the number of injures on the road near the site
local features such as hospitals, schools and shops.

We have the high number wanting to cross here (bus stop, Church Vale short-cut, and retail units (real and potential) all on the other side.

We have the large amount of traffic at the times most people need to cross.

And we have the busy local features - the station exit and underpass.

So the need is pretty well established. The only criteria we fall short on is the number of road injuries.
It seems we PV side pedestrians are penalised because we seemingly are patient, have good eye sight and take great care crossing, or have just been lucky so far.

As for cost, it seems it can vary , but much of the work has already been done for this site, like drainage, kerbing, paving, barriers and road narrowing.

Installation costs would need to cover:
anti-skid surfacing,
road markings and studs,
new traffic signs,
electrical connection and
and new signal heads and poles.

£20k should easily cover it, and have spare left over for management bonuses and some crisps for the workers.

rshdunlop

08-11-2011 08:13 PM

Well, it's quite clear. If you want that crossing, and there aren't enough injuries... Yup, someone is going to have to take one for the team.

Of course, there may not have been many injuries because it isn't as dangerous to cross as you think it is. It might take a long time to cross when there is a lot of traffic, but is it dangerous?

Snazy

09-11-2011 02:36 PM

lol I beg to differ about £20k covering the complete job, especially including equipment.
Also, how many roads of this width do you know with a pelican crossing? Try and think of some examples of similar crossings.

Also there is the issue of people going through 'late ambers' so not to be delayed.

Now ask another question, how long would 99% of the pedestrians crossing at this new crossing, be willing to wait for the lights to change to 'safely' cross. Personally I think as much noise as there is being made about this, very few would use it.

It is clear from the pattern in which people cross that they dont care where or how, its just got to be instant.

Perryman

19-01-2012 03:12 PM

More 'noise'.

I noticed recently that Lewisham have installed one speed sensitive sign for the traffic entering PV from the South Circular.
Speeding is not the issue here imo and a driver would have to be quite determined to get over 30 mph uphill in such a short distance.

I've only seen it fire once, and as I recall it only shows a crossing sign.
So for all other drivers, there are not many clues that this is, in theory, a crossing zone - which is the issue.

I think a pelican crossing would be heavily used here, and if this is a pelican zero sum game, then they can borrow the pelican from half way up London Rd. I rarely see this used and instead they can add some much needed pedestrian crossings facilities to the lights around the junction with Honor Oak Rd - across Honor Oak Rd in particular.

Hey, if it is justified having a diagonal crossing for the T-junction outside Smiths, lets have one on the PV side too! Very fashionable.

InTheForest

05-02-2012 05:53 PM

I find the worst bit is crossing over by Dawes for Doors. That little side road is a rat run as people can't turn left from Perry Vale onto the South Circ. BTW does anyone get the logic for the left turn ban? If people could turn left by the Co-op then there would be far less of a rat run.

I'm slightly boggled by the response from the Council that drivers wouldn't see the crossing in time. Surely a crossing is easier to see than a pedestrian in the middle of the road! I wouldn't want a Zebra though as the constant stream of people coming out the station would make life difficult for drivers. A set of lights for me.

Sherwood

05-02-2012 08:12 PM

The no left turn is because there is a traffic light controlled crossing to the left.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Station car restrictions rbmartin 47 16,664 04-10-2022 05:30 PM
Last Post: BackOnceAgain
  South Circular closed eastbound by Forest Hill station ChrisR 3 3,591 09-08-2022 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Pedestrian zone Forest Hill area wbrayn 2 3,716 15-11-2020 08:01 AM
Last Post: michael
  Petition for a pedestrian crossing on Cranston R oad ForestHill Mum 1 3,268 20-01-2020 10:05 AM
Last Post: ForestHill Mum
  Perry Vale Ward - low water pressure? SEN 2 3,974 23-11-2018 05:02 PM
Last Post: BigED
  Perry Vale Assembly Wed 7th November 2018 7pm hillview 0 3,216 06-11-2018 11:50 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,572 25-10-2018 05:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  66-room hotel planned for All Inn One site, Perry Vale admin 5 7,427 11-10-2018 08:39 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Crash on crossing by Perry Vale Snazy 0 3,822 13-06-2018 10:22 AM
  Perry Vale, armed police stop last night Snazy 0 3,590 13-06-2018 10:19 AM
  Petition: Pedestrian Crossing on Perry Vale by Forest Hill station BigED 7 9,080 03-06-2018 11:41 AM
  Perry Vale Ward Assembly - 6 June 2018 michael 0 3,469 03-06-2018 09:02 AM
  2018 Election Nominations for Forest Hill & Perry Vale Ward Councillors admin 2 5,306 18-04-2018 07:37 AM
Last Post: ForTiger
  Christmas Tree Switch On - Forest Hill Station and Kirkdale Cllr Paul Upex 0 4,573 01-12-2017 04:22 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Police community roadwatch session on Perry Vale hillview 0 3,224 01-06-2017 10:36 AM
  Car reverses into cafe at Forest Hill station hillview 0 3,581 27-04-2017 11:00 AM
  The History Of Forest Hill Station falkor 21 39,540 02-02-2017 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Perry Vale One Way System michael 3 5,941 30-11-2016 10:12 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Perry vale hole Erekose 20 18,578 30-11-2016 05:46 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Zebra crossing on Perry Vale! blushingsnail 3 5,978 23-11-2016 10:15 AM
Last Post: wynell