SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Plastic Bags
Deano

24-10-2011 05:46 PM

Totally. And Madonna will leave you alone into the bargain

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stefan

25-10-2011 10:27 AM

Deanno and Cellar Dor - very funny comments - cant you two do a stand up comedy night at the HOB - I d pay to see you Thumbsup

michael

25-10-2011 10:52 AM

I don't know which is worse, the possibility of bumping into the Material Girl in the post office or Cellar Door taking his shopping home in his string vest.

Cellar Door

25-10-2011 11:22 AM

stefan wrote:
…cant you two do a stand up comedy night at the HOB…

I think that Emma and Ron (Guv’nors of The Hob) think of me as a bit of a joke. But not in a way that they’d ever let me within cooee of the stage upstairs.

Deano on the other hand has the gift. Deano’s masterful turns of phrase are a most welcome recent addition to this forum. I was having a good old cackle at “trollope” the other day. And “Dickens of a job” inspired me to introduce this into my day to day vocabulary.

This morning, for instance, I took the train. You may have seen my little performance inside the ticket hall at about 08:10 when I looked up at the board and saw trains being cancelled left, right and centre. Both my feet left the ground as I shouted, “What the Dickens!” to an unappreciative crowd of commuters.

I have to tip my hat towards rshdunlop. Their post #13 above was just lovely.

michael wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the possibility of bumping into the Material Girl in the post office or Cellar Door taking his shopping home in his string vest.

Me running around The Hill with my string vest has obviously encouraged the Material Girl to darken our fair streets. For that, I humbly apologise. If there is any ray of light that I can offer, then I believe she's heard better prospects are down the road in Catford for her latest string vest fetish as I didn’t see her lurking around this morning when I went to the station.

stefan

25-10-2011 11:36 AM

what a shame - must have just missed your performance when I boarded the 08.12 this morning - lets hope for more cancelled trains and louder shouting next time

rshdunlop

25-10-2011 12:29 PM

Cellar Door - I accept your hat doffing with a polite curtsey and modest downward glance of the eyes. I'm a laydee.

hillsideresident

25-10-2011 02:11 PM

I can see the problem with non-biodegradable plastic bags. But what's wrong with sturdy paper bags, as per American films?

rshdunlop

25-10-2011 04:00 PM

They aren't that sturdy and they have no handles. In the US, you will find your bags are always 'double bagged' - two flimsy plastic together, or a paper inside a plastic. And they look at you as if you are completely nuts if you bring your own bag (unless you go to Whole Foods or the farmers' market). They only have those nice paper bags in the movies, or in the suburbs when you only need to carry them to the car.

hillsideresident

25-10-2011 05:07 PM

I've been watching too many films...!

Deano

25-10-2011 06:20 PM

You already have to grovel around for a quid to put in the trolley, which is a round about way of calling me a potential thief. punishing me for buying more than I can carry seems ludicrous. I'd have to make 20 seperate trips for my weekly shop inmy SUV just to avoid the 'you just did too much shopping tax'. What happens to the environment then? I like the look of food going into those paper bags. Looks all sophisticated. I've never seen anyone putting oven chips or fish fingers in them though.

Deano

25-10-2011 08:56 PM

Thanks Cellar Door and Stefan - I thought I'd get moaned at for quite liking plastic bags but you have proved me wrong! I've never been in the Hob. I think people should try comedy at the Bird in the Hand. Those guys and gals look like they could do with cheering up!

stefan

26-10-2011 08:10 AM

moaned at Deanno? No - I see you as funny version of Brian Rofl

Jane_D

26-10-2011 12:49 PM

Those wheely shopping baskets are a great way of avoiding plastic bags, if you don't mind looking rather uncool. No lugging or car needed, and suitable for the mighty slopes of SE23.

Deano

26-10-2011 02:17 PM

Eureka! Madonna would totally leave me alone if I had a shopping trolley.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields