SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Parking on Devonshire Road
Choppo

20-10-2011 08:57 PM

I posted here over a year ago about how dreadful parking is on Devonshire Road. I had contacted the council at the time and they assured me that the issue was being dealt with. Has anybody heard any more about this? I have emailed again so will hopefully hear better news.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
devonshoreroad

21-10-2011 09:40 AM

I also posted here about a year ago, got in touch with the council and was told they would look into it... nothing. Problem has got worse. I chased the council a couple of weeks ago and so far no response. Not happy.

lacb

21-10-2011 04:39 PM

This probably resolves to a transport link problem IMO. The old issue of extending the 63 bus route could assist here. See:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134053991759

Am not sure whether Lewisham can (or will) influence this. TfL perhaps need to be told that there is local evidence of demand for this sort of thing.

brian

22-10-2011 02:52 PM

Used to live in DR for 23 years or so. In the middle round Ewelme Rd not too bad then.

I think only so.lution is going to be a CPZ , but remember you will lose many so called spaces as the council will mark them clearly.

As so near to two stations I would think many residents would not have the need for a car.

mrcee

22-10-2011 06:00 PM

Say no to a cpz or at least wait for east london line phase 2 next year to provide some pressure relief. Or campaign for a bus to be extended between hop and peckham rye but no to cpz. See below from the other thread

A colleague of mine from finchley recently told me about rising costs of cpz and how they have now set up a campaign against the ever increasing costs. The local paper has an article about it http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/90573...t/?ref=rss

I live on one of the roads mentioned in the subject line however i think cpz will end up being very bad for locals. Higher costs, bad for the high street, etc

I also think that the east london line phase 2 extension will reduce some of the parking stress in the area so we should at least wait for that before making a lifetime commitment

----------
Update on council parking permit increases
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/articl...homes.html

Sent from some mobile device

mrcee

22-10-2011 06:03 PM
bella

31-10-2011 10:05 PM

Being a Devonshire road resident myself, I have notice the problem getting worse each year. I don't however feel the solution is CPZ as this will just push the problem further up the small side roads and the price will creep up and up. I think the best solution would be for Lewisham council to improve platform access from the car park the other side of the subway on the Perry Vale side. It's a very large car park that is hardly used, which could have an Oyster turnstile put in, to link directly on to the platform that runs along side the Eastern corner.

Merlin

01-11-2011 08:14 PM

Seems like a sensible solution for the FH end of Devonshire Bella. Maybe everyone could employ the same practice as the woman at the HOP end who puts out traffic cones?!?!?!

I know parking in Devonshire is bad, but driving down it isn't much fun either. My heart regularly stops as the daily squeeze commences.

bella

01-11-2011 08:50 PM

That's one of my pet hates when people start marking their territory with cones or wheelie bins, it usually ends with the bins being in the space all day, therefore making even more of a problem. I had the experience of the tight squeeze you mentioned this evening, it's a nightmare.

Merlin

01-11-2011 10:56 PM

I think it's really cheeky too. Once a 'charming' white van man clipped me (that is a whole other story!) and I pulled over to avoid blocking the road, the woman who had put cones out came out of her house to advise me she was saving the space for her husband and he was on his way home so I had to move. As I was being intimidated by a horrid man at the time I would've appreciated a bit of female solidarity!
Devonshire is like the Horniman jerk cook out every day.

Merlin

01-11-2011 11:01 PM

Just in case I need to clarify that statement - I mean the traffic and parking is horrendous. Not that the road is full of seasoned chicken, or that seasoned chicken cooks are the only ones frequenting the road. When the cook out was held in Horniman the whole of FH was like a massive car park.

kipya

01-11-2011 11:14 PM

The parking on Devonshire Road is awful and, now that the roadside is full up with cars, moving completely onto the pavements is the obvious next course of action. Here is a photo taken the other day...    

I contacted Lewisham about 2 years ago about parking on the pavement. The Council person said that it was illegal (hm never knew that) and consequently drivers weren't allowed to do it. I mentioned the 'enforcement' word, and that was the end of the conversation.

Since I saw the mayor, leaving HOP station, climb into a car in Boveney Road to drive him all the way to Devonshire Road I can see that there might not be a will 'at the top' to do anything about the parking here.

I agree that 'what to do' is a much more difficult question to answer, but perhaps it is about time that the council addressed it.

kipya

01-11-2011 11:28 PM

... and while I'm at it, on bin days the pavements are all but impassable. Another picture here showing not a lot of walking space. I've no idea how people with push chairs, or anyone with mobility problems copes with this.

rshdunlop

02-11-2011 07:40 AM

@bella -the car park on Perry Vale costs £5 per day. I don't think quicker access to the platforms is going to overcome that obstacle. As discussed at length elsewhere, the car park was full when free.

brian

02-11-2011 11:08 AM

Kipya

I never park on the pavement. What anoyed me even more was if I parked legally and next car parked on the pavement I was more likely to be hit.

There are enough wardens in SE23 why do they not book and vehicle parked on a pavement or parked too close to a corner.

rshdunlop

02-11-2011 12:43 PM

I once got a parking ticket for accidently having one quarter of one tyre on the kerb.

andrewr

02-11-2011 01:05 PM

Years ago the residents of Westwood Park, who were fed up with rat running traffic, jointly agreed to park on the road one day instead of being half on the pavement. There was traffic chaos with vehicles unable to pass and the Police threatened residents with prosecution for obstructing the highway! There is no right to park on the highway if you cause an obstruction. And, of course, parking on the pavement is generally illegal. After a bit of wrangling the Council made it legal to park on the pavement - provided this was within the marked boxes. They still occasionally issue tickets to people who park on the pavement outside the boxes or too far onto the pavement so they obstruct pedestrians. It seems to me that properly marking Devonshire Road with the places that pavement parking is acceptable and then enforcing the parking spaces by issuing tickets would be a first step towards sorting out the problem. Is there any disagreement on this?

Whilst the issue of CPZs is one for the residents of the areas affected, including adjacent roads that will receive the displaced vehicles, it is my view that the desire of commuters to park near HOP and FH stations is so strong that there may be little alternative if residents want to be able to park near their homes. I can't see that the forthcoming Clapham Junction phase of the ELL will affect this unless it makes the already fantastic service even more attractive.

lacb

02-11-2011 04:08 PM

I love the anecdote about Westwood Park. That is very illuminating.

Am pleased that this has worked for the residents of WP but have concerns if parking on the pavement should be legitimised on Devonshire Road. It is already difficult in parts to negotiate the pavement especially if you are pushing a buggy. Also, at the Forest Hill end, even with cars half on the pavement, the width is so narrow that this causes parked cars to be hit and instant congestion should anything bigger than a small van drive along.

As for CPZs, I think it is a little OTT to say we have reached the point of no alternatives.

I had posted earlier in ths thread suggesting that transport links may be the answer here. I think that until a study is done on the parked cars (are they residential, or what is the journey) we can't really judge whether ELL phases, bus extensions or new tram or tube lines would help or not. And what about car parks indeed - reinstating a free car park at Forest Hill may help too.

My main concern with a CPZ is that once you we have one, we will never get rid of it. It then becomes a source of revenue for the council and so becomes progressively more expensive. It just pushes the cars elsewhere.

There is also the point about bringing people to the area. The Honor Oak end is next to a nicely developing shopping parade despite the straitened circumstances. Please let's not turn away passing trade this way - this is not West Hampstead, people will not travel here regardless.

My 2p (with inflation).

brian

02-11-2011 07:22 PM

I lived in Devonshire Rd for many years and in most places the pavement is far to narrow to allow parking on the pavement. If you cannot park legally on the road , or a garage , perhaps you should not have a car.

Sherwood

02-11-2011 08:05 PM

I think there is a country where you cannot buy a car unless you have a parking space.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road - residents parking devonshoreroad 62 60,827 29-04-2011 01:40 PM
Last Post: brian
  Parking on Devonshire Road T and C 1 3,895 04-10-2010 08:26 PM
Last Post: annsquire66
  Parking Devonshire Road Choppo 37 33,813 04-08-2010 01:22 PM
Last Post: tripandfuschia
  Devonshire Road - Parking on the Pavement brian 15 16,519 09-12-2009 06:34 PM
Last Post: brian