SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Beggar lady in HOP
showtunesgirl

03-03-2008 12:25 PM

Has anyone else been accosted by a beggar lady in HOP? She is a thin black lady with wirey hair and she smells a bit. She has several times run after me and then pleaded with me to give her money whilst crying. It's actually a bit frightening as I say no and then she really does run after you and collars you. She tends to do this around the traffic quietening area.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

03-03-2008 01:22 PM

Thankfully no. I agree this is a very serious matter. Suggest you inform The Police

Els1701

03-03-2008 01:41 PM

Yes, I too have seen her many times normally outside the Chandos. She is normally asking for money to get her baby milk or nappies.

showtunesgirl

03-03-2008 01:54 PM

Yes she has said something about her babies before. I just find her manner a bit aggressive.

Els1701

03-03-2008 02:09 PM

yes she is very aggressive. In the past she has stood banging on my car window. It can be quite intimidating if you are on your own.

brian

03-03-2008 03:43 PM

She seems a menace. Seems a lot of people are aware of her. What has been done, surely this is illegal in our UK

showtunesgirl

03-03-2008 03:52 PM

Well I haven't seen her around lately. Has anyone else?

Ghis

03-03-2008 04:42 PM

I was told that she is a well known crack addict and her "baby" excuse has been going for years.

showtunesgirl

03-03-2008 04:57 PM

Well I figured it would be odd if she really did have a baby because if she was so concerned about their welfare, why has she left them home alone?! Confused

I mean we've all seen beggars but it's the way she runs after you that is a bit frightening.

Tersie

03-03-2008 05:04 PM

I have also been stopped by her a few times in the last 18 months and asked for money, however she has never been agressive when I have declined and just walks off. I have a feeling she may be staying at the Honor Lea hostel on Brockley Rise, see link below. They state on the website below that they do not accept "People with current substance misuse problems who are not actively engaging in support/treatment. or Those with recurring problems with violence" so maybe she is having treatment there...perhaps if anyone has a problem this could be raised with them.
http://homelesslondon.org/details.asp?id=HO231

Miss Miaow

03-03-2008 07:36 PM

Yes, she is well known in the Crofton Park area. Last year she suddenly disappeared. I heard that she was subject to an ASBO. Obviously she is now back on the scene, but if she still has an ASBO against her, chances are she wont be around for long!

danieljon

13-03-2008 04:46 PM

She does indeed have an ASBO... she suffers from mental health issues, it's quite a sad story - her "babies" are grown up now, and were taken from her and given to social services when she was quite young. She's a known crack-user - she has strict ASBO guidelines about asking for money, I've not seen her around since last year...

My advice is not to give her anything - it will only make matters worse, and consider letting the Crofton Park SNT at Lewisham Police know that she's breaching her conditions...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields