SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (14): « First < Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Next > Last »
Cyclists
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

05-03-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:
For those that passed there was a sense of achievement, and for those in the cubs/brownies a lovely embroidered badge awaited.

I'd do more training if I got an embroidered badge. I could used to to patch over the hole in my face Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Applespider

05-03-2012 09:11 PM

I went for a quick look to see what Brownies (7-10) and Scouts (10-14) have to do to get their 'cyclist' badges. On the grounds that their basic requirements are more than many of the cyclists I ride with every day seem to be aware of, I wonder perhaps offering that embroidered badge might be the incentive needed! Smile

michael

09-03-2012 09:05 PM

Badges? we don't need no stinking badges!

http://bit.ly/wlv6Hc
Please note: link is not suitable for people who don't like swearing. But it will amuse the cyclist on the forum.

hillsideresident

02-04-2012 08:38 PM

Very funny link by Michael. Not a spoof either - from a documentary, I reckon.

Had a look on The Times site to see if the supporters of their campaign had reached the magic "1% of all cyclists" figure of 50,000, but for the life of me cannot find it. I'm sure someone less technophobic will find it easily enough. But the unworthy thought crossed my mind that the latest number is not as easy to find as it used to be because it isn't as high as they had hoped. I'm sure I hope that's not the case.

john-f

04-04-2012 07:58 PM

Its around 33,000 at the moment

hillsideresident

02-07-2012 09:07 PM

Sharing towpath scheme abandoned because of cyclists' aggression:
"Cyclists were charging down the towpath at speed and ringing their bells to scare walkers out of the way."
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cy...99049.html

A City solicitor was left with life-changing injuries when he was knocked down by a cyclist racing through a red light at 26 mph.
The cyclist "denies careless cycling".
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cy...04066.html

Anyone surprised?

Applespider

02-07-2012 09:30 PM

Yes - because while there's no excuse for the behaviour in either link, it's not all cyclists who behave that way; the majority are law-abiding and cycle sensibly and safely.

Just as all drivers wouldn't want to be tarred with the same brush as those kill or maim someone in a hit and run by speeding through a 20mph, don't assume that all cyclists behave like idiots.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

03-07-2012 08:14 AM

I trust the cyclist in the second link, Mr Schipka, will, if found guilty, be dealt with in the same way as anyone else who breaks a law.

Thankfully you wont find many news reports of similar incidents which suggests that it doesn't happen too often. Hopefully reports like that will help persuade all types of road user to apply more caution and consideration.

Following my month from hell back in March I bought a helmet camera as I've learnt to my cost that I cannot rely on either CCTV, witnesses or people's sense of responsibility when something bad happens on the road. Watching these back I see pretty much equal numbers of cyclists, motorists and pedestrians committing offences or dangerous acts on a daily basis (although I've yet to catch a cyclist on a pavement : ) Those people are also in the minority of their particular group.

One unexpected benefit of the camera is how quickly Billy Big Boots and his aggressive shouting and posturing climbs back in his shell when he clocks the camera.

Cellar Door

03-07-2012 10:11 AM

hillsideresident wrote:
Sharing towpath scheme abandoned …

The actual sharing of the towpath appears not to be abandoned from my reading.

How I read it is that the “Two Tings” campaign was shelved and is being replaced with “Share the Space, Drop your Pace” campaign by British Waterways.

hillsideresident

03-07-2012 07:01 PM

Today, I took the bus up to town and back. How many cyclists on the pavement? Adults - not children, not teenagers. One side of the bus only, and reading half the time so I probably missed some.

Care to have a guess?

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

04-07-2012 05:17 AM

Every single one and they were strangling kittens while they did it?

AMFM

04-07-2012 07:18 AM

IWAF -I wish there was a "like" button on this site, just for that post!

This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 07:18 AM by AMFM.

jgdoherty

04-07-2012 09:10 AM

Decidedly unsafe in my view - when I were a boy we were taught to ride with both hands on the handlebars.

We kept our kittens in a bag too.

Or is that a bit old fashioned.

hillsideresident

04-07-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:
How I read it is that the “Two Tings” campaign was shelved and is being replaced with “Share the Space, Drop your Pace” campaign by British Waterways.

You make it sound as if nothing had gone wrong, and that they just came up with a better scheme. When what actually happened was that after five years of trying to get cyclists to accept a reasonable scheme, they had to abandon it because of cyclists' aggression. The only thing the new scheme has over the old one is a catchy rhyme. Will that make a difference?

hillsideresident

04-07-2012 05:54 PM

What happened to all those previous confident assertions that the numbers of cyclists on the pavement was so low as to be negligible?

Cellar Door

04-07-2012 08:52 PM

Hi hillsideresident,

I can’t assert as confidently as yourself that the “…only thing the new scheme has over the old one is a catchy rhyme...” because the Two Tings campaign is hard to locate to compare.

But I think that the Share the Space, Drop your Pace campaign is worthy of a look for pedestrians and cyclists alike. And not just for towpath shared space.

I did find this interesting evaluation of the two campaigns from Dick Vincent, London Towpath Ranger, Canal and River Trust (formerly British Waterways as of this month).

Mr Vincent writes that the Two Tings campaign was a success. And that the Share the Space, Drop your Pace seems to have been created to specifically address the speed at which some cyclists travel.

Now I’ve been made aware of this, I can see that the previous campaign might have made some cyclists think that if they give a little tinkle on their bell, while travelling at, or near, the speed of sound, that they have fulfilled their obligations to their fellow towpath visitors. Therefore, I’d conclude that this new campaign ever so gently shifts that thinking.

Anyway, good luck to everyone and I’m inspired to get myself to a towpath soonish. As the article mentions…

London’s Towpaths: The Fastest Way to Slow Down.

Now then, where is the closest one?

(Ting, Ting!)

hillsideresident

04-07-2012 09:08 PM

"Cyclists were charging down the towpath at speed and ringing their bells to scare walkers out of the way. "
Well, Dick Vincent may call that a success, but I'm not sure many people would. Now they have introduced a special campaign to explain to cyclists that that wasn't a very nice way to behave. I think they already knew.

AMFM

05-07-2012 08:06 AM

Hillsideresident - I think you need to get on your bike - it does wonders for stress levels, and yours do appear a little high when it comes to certain topics...

borderpaul

05-07-2012 05:18 PM

Not surprisingly the cyclist who denied careless cycling was convicted although he left a man brain-damaged he was only fined £850.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyc...464777.ece

Yes, I hear the cyclists refrain, all those cars who jump red lights are never prosecuted. Luckily in this case even though the cyclist denied going through the red light as most cyclists do, (not me mate, I always stop for it, it is those bad cyclists who do that), cctv was on hand to be the final judge.

hillsideresident

05-07-2012 05:20 PM

Is that it? Not one of you dared answer my question. You don't do yourselves any favours, do you?Wink

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields