SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (14): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
Cyclists
wayfarer

11-11-2011 03:40 PM

I certainly don't agree with Mio's approach, as tempting as it may have been (like kicking someone to get out of the way, when they are walking too slowly - or maybe that's just me ;-)).

I do however support Michael's preferred mode of "revenge". As a cyclist when safe to do so I will deliberately stop in front of vehicles that have driven into the cycle bay at traffic lights.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hillsideresident

11-11-2011 03:41 PM

They look they're designed for going up and down the corridors of merchant bankers' offices. Like the wording of the link BTW (or do I mean lettering?).

hillsideresident

11-11-2011 04:00 PM

Or, to express myself in English, "I like the wording/lettering of the link to knbhds". Very apposite.

andrewr

11-11-2011 04:20 PM

Highway Code, Rules for cyclists, Rule 64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(SA) 1984 sect 129.

Not my emphasis. [/color][/b]Seems pretty clear to me! Why is it a problem for cyclists?

andrewr

11-11-2011 04:27 PM

Just realised the significance of HA 1835 - Highways Act 1835. Didn't realise they were worried about bicycles on pavements back then so looked it up.

Relevant text seems to be:
Penalty on persons committing nuisances by riding on footpaths, &c.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F1 If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F2; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [F3level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

The F1 F2 F3 bits refer to amendments so I guess it has changed a bit since first enacted. Anyway, I must remember not to lead sheep on the pavement in future - or to use my sledge on it!

More seriously, if you can't use a truck or sledge on a pavement, then I guess scooters should be out in the road too.

andrewr

11-11-2011 04:29 PM

... along with the carriages of any description.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

12-11-2011 08:26 AM

Get your ass off the pavement

john-f

14-11-2011 11:24 PM

So, my reading of this is that baby buggies/prams shouldn't be on the pavement either!

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

15-11-2011 08:30 AM

Good point john-f Smile

Anyway, sorry to divert the thread to something more positive but it's that time of year when I think about getting a couple more rear lights and the unsolvable conundrum of finding properly warm winter gloves that aren't so bulky that I can no longer use my brakes and gears. Any recommendations?

Light-wise I'm probably down to choosing between the NiteRider Cherry Bomb or the Smart 1/2 watt rear.

Cellar Door

15-11-2011 02:45 PM

IWereAbsolutelyFuming wrote:
…and the unsolvable conundrum of finding properly warm winter gloves that aren't so bulky that I can no longer use my brakes and gears. Any recommendations?

The unsolvable conundrum around warm cycling gloves that give you flexibility has had me searching through countless cycling stores and across eons of time.

Then last year I meandered into that store on the corner of Baker Street and York Street that is an amalgam of cycling, skiing and running bits and bobs.

I squinted at a cheeky pair of cheap ski gloves. Having never been skiing before I tentatively approached them and just for the thrill of it I slipped them on.

Then everything changed in my life.

I smiled at them and in a smooth Leslie Phillips voice said, “Hello”.

I thought that these pair of Campri Ski Gloves for £5 were being discounted.

But evidently this is the typical price.

The lining is so good, that even when we just had the coldest winter in a 1,000 years, I was perfectly snug in them.

And flexibility! Not a problem moving my Schwinn through its 3-gear paces up to Marylebone and back. Maybe because they are cheap they haven’t fussed around with being too generous with the padding. Perfect for cycling!

The outer layer has great insulation and repels water with ease. And it even has an elasticated wrist closure for slipping your winter coat into to keep your wrists warm.

Another little benefit they have are anti-slip coverings on the palms which makes it easy to grab hold of things. Honk-honk!

I’ve bought so many gloves over the many years. Just trying to find the elusive gloves you are talking about.

Oh, the amount of times I’ve gone into Evans or On Your Bike handing over wads of cash for what I hope will be the solution to my identical conundrum.

I sneer now at being duped with those fancy gloves with salesmen breathlessly whispering the names of their futuristic materials. That’s right. Cut to me standing there in the early 1980s buying my first pair of Thinsulate gloves.

Then the first dip in temperature and my hands are turning colder than a very cold thing on the ice planet Hoth. So cold sometimes, that I wonder if the futuristic material has been weaved the wrong way around as to actually increase the cold.

These are all now piled up in our garage preventing little else from getting in there.

But now, I’ve got my cheapo pair of Campri Ski Gloves for £5 and I’m so very, very happy.

I was probably that cyclist you saw last winter riding along with a slightly demented and delirious grin. With steam gently coming out of his gloves.

john-f

15-11-2011 10:27 PM

I use Altura gloves with extra long cuffs so that there is no gap between them and your sleeve. I also buy them slightly large so that when the temperature drops to zero I can where glove liners underneath.

john-f

15-11-2011 10:28 PM

How do you clip a quote to show who you are answering? Thanks

BT

16-11-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:
How do you clip a quote to show who you are answering? Thanks

Like this you mean?

Click on the Help at the top right and look at the mycode section. Its quite easy you just have to put the code in square brackets at the start and end of the bit you want to quote after copying and pasting it. Or you can paste it in, highlight it and click on the 'quote 'icon -third from the right at the top of the typing area, which does the same thing.

john-f

16-11-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:
Like this you mean?

Thanks Bt

Joffe

17-11-2011 11:16 AM

john-f wrote:
Thanks Bt

When you have put the quote in, you'll have (quote)*********(/quote) but in square brackets. (If I showed the example in square brackets it would quote, and I don't want it to! Hahaha).

If you want to be more specific about who the quote is from, you can put (quote=bt). This publishes as 'Bt wrote', much like the 'john-f wrote' I quoted above.

HTH too.

ryananglem

25-11-2011 09:39 AM

Some Friday satire (on topic)..

Charging pedestrians..

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

26-11-2011 07:04 AM

Like it.

On a more serious note, interesting link here about insurance for cyclists. I mostly agree with the recommendation but with the following opinions of my own:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15892074

I realise it's about scales of risk but you could argue that everyone should have personal liability insurance on much the same justifications.

Having been caused serious personal injury and cost of damaged property by a pedestrian in an incident witnessed by a policeman, where said pedestrian was apprehended by said policeman but still been advised I had little chance of taking action against her I wonder how big the risk of being sued is.

I take exception to the language in this statement:

Quote:
"Some 230 cyclists a month are killed or seriously injured on the roads so there is a good chance you are going to be off work for weeks, if not months, so some sort of insurance to cover you for loss of income makes sense."

How many of us cyclists have been off work for weeks or months due to a cycling incident given this 'good chance' of it happening?

Applespider

26-11-2011 09:51 AM

If you join the LCC, you get free 3rd party insurance as well as discounts in lots of bike shops so it can pay for itself.

I've never had a major enough accident on my bike to require any time off work and I cycle 5-6 days a week. It does annoy me at times how the press often increase the perception that cycling is dangerous. When I tell people I commute to work by bike, their initial reaction is often how brave I am. Rolleyes

What bothered me more in that article was the point that the poor chap referred to needed the insurance because the van driver who had hit him had neither driving licence nor insurance so was driving (badly) illegally. As with your comment re the pedestrian, it seems insurance is more valuable to protect ourselves perhaps rather those who may sue us.

john-f

26-11-2011 10:10 AM

IWereAbsolutelyFuming wrote:
How many of us cyclists have been off work for weeks or months due to a cycling incident given this 'good chance' of it happening?

I guess the chance is pretty low which is reflected in the low cost of c. £30 pa

No Longer Registered

27-11-2011 08:52 PM

I can recommend bike insurance - my girlfriend was knocked off a few years ago and her insurance allowed her to sue the driver and get compensation.

The cost is about £30 to £40 for a family membership - less than the price of some bike lights.

I haven't had to make a claim during the period I have been covered but I was hit from behind last week in Peckham by a female cyclist. I made the school boy error of stopping to let a pedestrian cross a Zebra crossing. Unexpected behaviour to said female cyclist who couldn't stop in time.

PS according to the last statistics I saw Peckham is a hot spot for uninsured drivers with the number of accidents involving that particular type of parasite being four times the national average.

Pages (14): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields