SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (14): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Cyclists
hillsideresident

22-10-2011 09:59 PM

"Cyclopath" is very good!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

23-10-2011 04:08 PM

hillsideresident wrote:
"Cyclopath" is very good!

Agreed. I'm writing them down on paper and showing my mates. They are far better read than said.

Cellar Door

23-10-2011 05:56 PM

Applespider wrote:
My only problem with hand signals when steering is when something happens suddenly up ahead which requires strong braking. It's one of the few times that I think an indicator light would be useful!

Agreed. That is why I prefer the Coaster Brake system favoured by Schwinn Cruisers. And they also incorporate them into the hub gear designs. I believe my latest Cruiser is using the AWC from Sturmey Archer.

They are lovely. As I’m cruising along Peckham Road, without a care in the world, towards the heart of this fine city and see that the lights up ahead have gone against me, then I gently apply my back pedal and come to a luxurious and gracious full-stop.

But they are more powerful than most mere mortals can ever imagine. For example, I have come across “iPod zombie pedestrians stepping out into the road without looking” many a time (btw…beautiful and perfect description!). When I register this fact and send instructions to my legs while standing up to force my full 90-odd kilograms onto the steel screw in the drum it creates a dramatic stop and a satisfying screech from the rubber melting into the tarmac. I think I can pull up from 10 miles an hour to zero within the length of my bike. And then there is the pleasing skid mark. I must confess that the teenager in me loves a good skid mark.

Applespider wrote:
…and raising a hand if a driver 'helps' you…

Absolutely. The thumbs up is an excellent tool as well that I would encourage Cyclists to take with them on their travels. It is one of the most widely recognised symbols on this planet. I’ve ridden in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and around this Great Nation and everyone understands exactly what it means. (A smile as well is a little something I save for the Ladies.)

Applespider wrote:
Question for the drivers and pedestrians out there now that we're approaching dark commutes. Do you prefer flashing or solid lights on approaching bikes?

As an occasional driver and regular pedestrian I like the flashing lights. Actually, as this time of year approaches I usually treat myself to a new light. I’ve got so many now that sometimes I look like a fully decorated Christmas tree on wheels.

This year I think that I will get the fancy little lights that you clip onto your spokes. They make the most amazing patterns as you pedal along. Have you ever seen them?

Applespider

23-10-2011 08:32 PM

Love the idea of leaving skid marks on the tarmac... I have managed a rather impressive dismount with overhead pike while performing a hard brake.

I've got spoke reflectors on my wheels that make quite an effective whirl of light from the side.

AMFM

24-10-2011 10:05 AM

I've wanted to get those spoke lights for ages but I've never seen them in the shops - where can I get them?

It may be a bit overkill though as I already have 3 rear lights on the bike and another on the helmet, and 4 on the front. I work on the basis that the SMIDSY excuse won't work if I'm lit up like the Blackpool illuminations.

Re flashing/non flashing - I tend to have all the rear lights flashing, and the front ones not flashing. I used to have 2 of the front lights flashing but a driver once pulled out in front of me (I was on the main road and had priority) forcing me to brake very hard to avoid being knocked off. When I caught up with him at the next junction and asked him (politely) why he'd done it, he (to be fair, he firstly apologised) said he thought I was turning left because of the flashing lights. I still think it was an excuse and he just didn't judge the distance correctly but it made me think twice about having the front lights flashing.

Applespider

24-10-2011 12:40 PM

Interesting feedback on the indicating thought. I have read that it is easier to judge distance with a steady light. I have one very bright 'steady' and a smaller flashing on the front. The bigger brighter one is new for this season and, to date, I have had fewer drivers pull out on me than when I had a smaller flash there

The other thing with SMIDSYs is that the drivers may genuinely not see you. I can't find the link now but there is an interesting article from a motorcyclist that holds true for other 2 wheelers. Apparently, drivers generally perceive vertical things as non-threatening since things like trees, lampposts and signs tend not to jump into their path. The brain therefore disregards them in favour of more horizontal things that are usually cars etc. They advise that if you are approaching a side road where a car is waiting to pull out, that you 'wiggle' a little as you approach to draw attention to yourself.

Sherwood

24-10-2011 02:00 PM

The eye tends to spot movement more easily.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

24-10-2011 09:40 PM

Would flashing them the Vs work? Smile

seeformiles

24-10-2011 11:04 PM

Today while walking along London Road near Sainsburys, I heard a loud ringing behind me and looked round to see an impatient cyclist on the pavement gesturing for me to get out the way.

I didn't have time to think, just moved. In retrospect, of course I wish I'd said something.

Applespider

24-10-2011 11:40 PM

On the occasions where I see pavement psycholists, I tend make a comment along the lines of 'Aren't you a bit old to be on the pavement, mate?' although not all react well.

Nuts though - it's not particularly wide pathway there and there's a lovely wide bus lane so no excuse.

I really don't get why people want to cycle on pavements - it's so much slower than going on the road. On the odd occasion where I've used the dual use section alongside the South Circular at Dulwich Common, the surface is horrible, you have to slow down for all the driveways and any junctions and that's before you even get to any pedestrians on it. And as soon as you add in dealing with driveways and junctions, it's not that much safer either.

seeformiles

24-10-2011 11:51 PM

He must've been in his late forties. I was taken aback by his attitude and impatience to get past me, although I expect he thought he was doing me a favour by sounding his bell.

Confused

Sherwood

25-10-2011 07:43 AM

I don't get out of their way!

Mio

11-11-2011 12:50 AM

Today I saw an idiot cycling furiously fast on the pavement and almost knock a little girl clean off he feet in Perry Vale. With the speed he darted past her it could have been the end of the line for the toddler. Sadly this was a pretty familiar occurrence.
Maybe the reason I remember witnessing so many of these is because, as a doctor, I have seen first hand the damage that can come from these accidents. And unfortunately the victims tend to fall on the more vulnerable edges of the age spectrum.
I'm sure you have all witnessed a similar situation. These incidents are too common and ubiquitous to ignore.
A couple of years ago one of these morons was speeding towards me on the pavement and counting on me to get out of the way. As he brushed past I pushed him and he smashed really hard against a wall. That may have not been very nice but he probably got the point. Next time he'll probably wonder if the guy he wants to cyclobully is a nutter like me.
There has to be a better way of curbing this behaviour without resorting to the occasional push. Although I honestly can't think of one. Any physical obstacles (gates, bumps, etc) would not be fair for the rest of us. I have seen policeman issuing fines on the spot to reckless cyclists in central London but what are the chances of that happening in Forest Hill?
Maybe a Wall of Shame outside the railway station with their close up picture featuring a big pair of ass' ears.
It is all too easy to recite the common spiel of "it's their parents and video games fault" and forget about it. The PC-obsessed brigade may even come out of the woodwork in defence of their freedom to run people over.
Most of us can defend ourselves (if we spot these losers on time) but I believe it is selfish not to worry about more vulnerable young  children, blind people, people with crutches, and so on...
This is a rant with little hope, though. I have witnessed the same problem in New York, Paris and plenty of other cities. To my knowledge no one has found a solution yet.

john-f

11-11-2011 08:28 AM

Yes, they are imbeciles. But get things into perspective - I get very angry about the thousands of pedestrians killed or seriously maimed every year by cars, anc and lorries. As a doctor, are you not annoyed about the vistims you see from these incidents?

Cellar Door

11-11-2011 12:37 PM

Mio wrote:
…as a doctor, I have seen first hand the damage that can come from these accidents.

As he brushed past I pushed him and he smashed really hard against a wall. That may have not been very nice but he probably got the point.

I can certainly sense your anger, Mio.

I’m having a spot of bother trying to reconcile two bits of information. The two bits are the ones, that you wrote, that I’ve quoted above.

Please help me to try to understand how, as a Doctor, you should be fairly familiar with the General Medical Council’s clear guidance in the form of its Duties of a Doctor. Particularly:

Protect and promote the health of patients and the public

and

how you found yourself not doing this?

I quite understand your anger. But releasing your anger onto this illegal cyclist isn’t something I’d be proud to admit. I admire your courage to do it on this forum as a Doctor.

BTW, where did you train?

michael

11-11-2011 12:48 PM

I share Cellar Door's concern. Much as I dislike pavement pycholists, I don't feel that violence is the answer. I have hit a pycholists with a folded newspaper when they were jumping a red light and I was crossing on a green man, but it was only a light tap so that he knew I was there, not to cause harm.

My preferred method of dealing with pavement pycholists and light jumpers is to get in their way and cause them to stop. If they are on the pavement then they should come to a safe halt and alight from their bicycle for the safety of all pedestrians.

andrewr

11-11-2011 02:38 PM

psycholists shoorly?

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

11-11-2011 03:11 PM

This isn't meant to be a justification of anyone cycling on the pavement and I'd been meaning to post this previously but I've been seeing more and more of these in use by adults recently:

knbhds

where should they be used, road or pavement - serious question, not wishing to divert too much from the cycling debates.

Oh, and while we're at it...seriously?!

Mio

11-11-2011 03:53 PM

@ Cellar door; You are right but I didn't say I was proud to give him a push. It happened once.
Very likely, when I realised that cyclist had seen me but couldn't care less, I must have thought; "OK. If that was me, cycling like a thug, what did I deserve?".
Is this the product (the blame bit) of 11 years of catholic school education? Who knows?....

and to answer your 2nd question, I went to medical school in Madrid

x

brian

11-11-2011 04:24 PM

It is the speed and arrogance of many pavement cyclists . Could not give a damm whom they knock over.

They might not like the road but next we will be getting trucks on the pavement becuase they prefer it

Wrong is Wrong....................

Pages (14): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields