SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (14): « First < Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Next > Last »
Cyclists
shzl400

21-07-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Driving a car or riding a motorbike without a licence is a serious offence

For a very good reason. So what is the reason to licence cyclists?

Because they can be responsible for accidents causing damage to both persons and property? Not a good enough reason?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RussB

21-07-2012 09:14 PM

IWereAbsolutelyFuming wrote:
On a more positive cycling vibe, chapeau Brad and Chris! Will be amazing to see Brits on the top two places of the podium in Paris tomorrow.

Indeed! A fantastic first (and second) in British sport that will hopefully inspire a generation to get on their bikes.

shzl400

21-07-2012 09:23 PM

Sorry, so worked up about the licencing issues I forgot to add my congrautations as well. A truly superb performance!

hillsideresident

22-07-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:
For a very good reason. So what is the reason to licence cyclists?

Same as with cars and motorbikes. Mainly to keep the idiots under control (otherwise you remove their licence). Or deter them altogether.

Quote:
Fine. I am quite happy to be licensed as a cyclist. So how do you propose to do it?

Why do people think that cycling is somehow immune from regulation? You want to ride a bike, you get a licence. You want to keep riding a bike, you pass a test.

Cycling would become respectable again. I don't understand the objection.

wayfarer

22-07-2012 10:53 AM

IWereAbsolutelyFuming,

I can't believe that given all your comments on this hread, you have highlighted a small community of cyclist that are so selfish they force roads to be closed.

I am not going to accuse you of cowardice, but would say you're yellow :-)

May I propose we now chnage change the direction of this thread to discuss who has been the "best " rider on the tour.

RussB

22-07-2012 04:43 PM

So Wiggins takes the Yellow Jersey, beating team-mate Froome. Cavendish takes the final stage in Paris. What an amazing result for Team Sky, and hopefully a huge boost to British cycling in all its forms: competitive, recreational, exercise, commuting...

Oh and lols @ wayfarer -- and I'm going to avoid picking an individual and say the whole Sky Team, including all those behind the scene doing strategy, physiotherapy, nutrition, etc... they all deserve huge congratulations!

Let's hope we also get some cycling medals in the Olympics! (As well as all the other events of course Smile

wayfarer

22-07-2012 05:09 PM

A British 1 /2, British winner of the sprint and all backed by a British team.

A truly great day for Brtish sport, bring on Box Hill !!!

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

22-07-2012 10:47 PM

Think we might be seeing Sir Dave Brailsford in the new year honours

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

22-07-2012 11:16 PM

This was the scene up at Look Mum No Hands in Old Street...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tlpu1g3o...ata_player

DeedeeVonNoodle

23-07-2012 11:50 AM

I think the problem stems from new cyclists following the example of the many cyclists that do jump red lights. When I started cycling to work I was also a red light jumper- following the example set by others.

Like a pedestrian, a cyclist is quite capable of making sure the road is clear ahead before going through a red (although I have seen evidence to the contrary!) which is part of the reason why many a cyclist doesn't feel the need to stop.

I don't jump red lights any more or do any of the other things cyclists are constantly lambasted for. And it wasn't the law, it wasn't cops waiting at red lights catching out cyclists and it wasn't even directly a safety issue that stopped me doing it. It was the fact that cyclists are a huge target for aggressive motorists and pedestrians and the only way to change the tide in opinion is to be the responsible and considerate road user.

With my change in attitude I found in general that motorists and pedestrians were more friendly. My commute is more enjoyable, less stressful and I delight in overtaking red light jumpers when I inevitably catch up to them (why are only the slowest cyclists red light jumpers?!).

This doesn't mean I don't have any problems at all with other users, I do but less than before and I can take with me the knowledge that it was the other road user at fault.

As has been said before on this thread, there are *******s and morons in each road user group (lorry driver, car driver, motorcylist, cyclist and pedestrian). And the thing about *******s and morons is that they don't like to be told when they're in the wrong. Anyone who has been brought up to have a modicum of responsibility and respect for others will learn what is the right thing to do. And the people that don't have these personal traits- well I don't think you're ever going to change them. Not without consistent reprimands anyway.

nork1

23-07-2012 02:25 PM

I was/am a cyclist who can't stand the holier than thou attitude of fellow cyclists, the rule breaking, the aggression. They're their own worst enemies. Cycling's too much hassle, I rarely have a journey that doesn't involve some sort of negative interaction with other cyclists. It's put me off to the extent I'm thinking of selling the bike.

I already posted this on another thread a couple of years ago so it saves me ranting again...

I was a cyclist. I still have a bike but rarely use it now - I got sick of the abuse from motorists but more surprisingly from other bike users. As a cyclist I NEVER went on pavements and ALWAYS obeyed traffic signals regardless of whether or not the way was clear. I was in the miniority. On countless occasions when slowing down for lights I was verbally abused by other cyclists who assumed I was going to carry on then had to slam the anchors on to avoid running into me. If I was at a red between 2 vehicles, cyclists behind me have sworn at me for blocking their way - AT A RED!

I've seen threads on this subject before and they all go the same way. The argument will go around in circles with each group admitting to and trying to justify why they break the rules then attempting to deflect their wrongdoing by pointing a finger at another group ('I cycle on the pavement but car drivers use mobiles so are just as dangerous', 'I don't wait for the green man when I cross but hey, cyclists don't stop at red lights anyway', etc.). Until ALL road and pavement users get it into their skulls that road rules are there for the benefit of EVERYONE and should be obeyed by EVERYONE, until cyclists admonish other cyclists for their appalling lack of adherence to the highway code, until pedestrians are made to see jaywalking as unacceptable, until motorists realise there are other more vulnerable road users and become more tolerant then nothing will change.

wayfarer

25-07-2012 11:00 AM

Just read on the bbc website that cars and cyclists that use the Olymoic lanes will be fined.

I'm curious how they will identify the cyclists involved unless they are physically caught in the act. I'm all for this approach, and for it being rolled out further to incorporate all traffic situation - traffic lights / juctions etc but am curious how this will be achieved.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

25-07-2012 12:22 PM

It is interesting as the responsibility for fining people seems less than clear according to the parties you might expect to be involved.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion; not all Olympic lanes are covered by the same restrictions and signs observed today give conflicting information (to all road users, not just cyclists) as to whether particular lanes are usable or not. There are gonna be some furious road users when the first batch of fines arrive. And as you say, if they aren't fining on the spot but using cameras that means that people on bikes will get away with it and that will become another barb in the negative opinions towards all other bike users.

Re: cycling in them, it appears that you cannot cycle in some of them even though the bus lanes they are piggy-backing in are still accessible to buses (Vauxhall Bridge Road being an example). I understand that it isn't practical to banish buses from them but I dont understand why bikes aren't allowed in them.

DeedeeVonNoodle

25-07-2012 01:28 PM

I read that buses and cyclists can use the ORN lanes provided it is a lane on the far left, any ORN lane that isn't the far left lane is for olympic traffic only

wayfarer

25-07-2012 01:36 PM

I have to be honest, if the lane wasn't in the far left I wouldn't be cycling in it anyway unless turning right.

DeedeeVonNoodle

25-07-2012 01:44 PM

Same here, and regardless these so called 'rules' haven't been made very well known.

Foresthillboy

25-07-2012 01:55 PM

Wiggins = British, was he not born in Belgium with a father who was born in Australia ?

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

25-07-2012 02:57 PM

An Australian father resident in Britain, working/cycling in Belgium, a British mother who brought him up from birth (and without his father from age 2)), himself resident in Britain from age 2. So yeah, British.

DeeDee, I read something that said you couldn't even cycle in the left side lanes either. To be fair, the article read like it meant to say you could but definitely said you cant. Googling the subject seems to give hits that say you can and cant

DeedeeVonNoodle

25-07-2012 03:00 PM

Points to LOCOG, or whoever was responsible for advertising ORN lanes, for their clarity :p

DeedeeVonNoodle

25-07-2012 03:22 PM

Taken from the London Cycling Campaign facebook page:

LCC's official advice on cycling in the Games Lanes

About a third of the ORN and PRN will have Games Lanes marked with painted Olympic rings. They can be either the nearside lane (on single carriageways) or in lane 2 or 3 where possible. Buses and bicycles will always be allowed to use the nearside lanes but all vehicles are prohibited from using Games Lanes in lane 2 or 3. In this case only Games Family vehicles are allowed in the Games Lanes during their hours of operation. Hours of operation are usually 6am until midnight. Up to date information is provided using Variable Message Signs (VMS).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields