SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (14): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Next > Last »
Cyclists
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

05-07-2012 07:15 PM

Which question?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Applespider

05-07-2012 08:44 PM

hillsideresident, what's the point? You'll bring out your anecdotes and we'll bring out ours.

For what it's worth, what most of us have said all along is that we don't like all cyclists being tarred with the same brush since many of us do follow the rules of the road. We're not denying that there are some idiots out there who give the rest of us a bad name - and we're not denying that they should be dealt with by the police and courts just as any other lawbreaker. You seem to deny, however, that any cyclist could possibly be a rational law abiding citizen. So since we're never going to agree I'll spend my time doing something more productive...

john-f

05-07-2012 11:01 PM

This is the statement from the London Cycling Campaign criticising the CPS for not bringing a strong enough charge:

"The Crown Prosecution Service seem to regard serious injury crashes as trivial offences, and by refusing to bring stronger charges against road users who kill or injure others - whether cyclists or drivers - they contribute to the lowering of standards on our roads."

Still not good enogh for you, I expect.

hillsideresident

06-07-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:
all cyclists being tarred with the same brush

Nope.

I'm saying that ten years ago I would go for a walk without noticing cyclists, since very few jumped red lights or rode along the pavement. Now, so many do both things that it has become a real nuisance.

My grievance against proper cyclists is solely with the ones in denial, those who pretend that nothing has changed. Some are well aware of what has happened. As a result, the whole image of cycling is tarnished, and being defensive isn't going to help.

And as cycling is increasingly encouraged, without any concomitant controls, training etc, it is bound to get worse.

stevjohn

06-07-2012 09:37 PM

I cycle into central London every day and am routinely appalled by the shockingly bad driving and basic lack of respect for fellow road users by motorists. I think the aggressive attitude towards cyclists is completely unjustified - you are much more likely to be injured by someone driving a car than somone on a bike. Why anyone drives in london is beyond me. My experience is that motorists get frustrated because I can actually get from A to B much quicker on my bike than they can in their cars. This pent up frustration regularly results in motorists' aggression which frankly is much more dangerous than anything a bike could do. Motorists should give cyclists the respect that they give other cars. A lot of motorists don't do this and are completely intolerant of cyclists because they think incorrectly that they will slow them down.

borderpaul

07-07-2012 12:09 AM

I walk in Central London every day from Charing Cross to Soho and am appalled by the shockingly arrogant behaviour of cyclists. I walk across Trafalgar Square, no motorist endangering pedestrians just the odd cyclist. Walk up the street by the side of the National Gallery which is one way, when I cross I look one way for motorists, 2 ways for cyclists.

The list goes on, at traffic lights, cross when you see the green man but watch for cyclists who the rules don't apply to. I have to say I have been doing this walk for more than 5 years and haven't seen an aggressive or otherwise motorist jump a red light. I have probably seen over a thousand cyclist jump lights.

You will get more respect if you show respect.

Most people don't seem to listen if they hear cyclists complain about intolerance and bad behaviour because what they hear is different to what they see.

I am sure all of you on this thread are good cyclists but please admit that to most people, you probably rank lower than motorists in terms of respect for fellow road users.

Perryman

07-07-2012 10:49 AM

Ah, I finally get it.
It is the courier cyclists we have been moaning about all along.

Yes, many have all the worst traits of motorists, are a significant danger and sure, should be licensed.

borderpaul

07-07-2012 11:15 AM

Or licence the Mamils, (Middle-aged men in Lycra) who can cycle as long as they don't have to stop and start.

OakR

07-07-2012 07:29 PM

A slight amendment to BorderPauls post....Wink

I previously cycled in Central London down Oxford Street and was appalled by the shockingly arrogant behaviour of pedestrians. I cycled down Oxford Street, no motorist endangering cyclists just the many pedestrians. Cycling down he street , when I cross I look one way for motorists, 2 ways for pedestrians.

The list goes on, at traffic lights, cross when you see the green lilght but watch for pedestrians who the rules don't apply to. I have to say I had been doing this cycle for many years and had not seen an aggressive or otherwise motorist or cyclist jump a red light. I have probably seen over a thousand pedestrians jump lights.

You will get more respect if you show respect.

Ultimately, in terms of commuting I have driven, cycled, motorbiked as well as walked, bus and train. I can say with absolute certainty that their are idiots on the road in each of these categories.

In my experience however, the most danger I have felt is when cycling or on the motorbike. I'd recommend everyone tries each type, it makes your awareness of the issues everyone faces much better.

Can we have a group hug? Cool

Foresthillboy

09-07-2012 09:30 AM

Let he who has not sinned cas the first stone

Yes I agree some cyclists do jump red lights, do ride on the pavement, yet what about motorists who abuse the road, what about pedestrians who just walk across anywhere, yes I will hold my hand to both with regards to the motorist/pedestrians part, and no im not a cyclist even though I do own a cycle

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

09-07-2012 01:27 PM

Olympic Torch-related news:

Pesky cyclist

Oh, and pedestrians getting in on the act too...twice.

No motorists though...

Perryman

09-07-2012 11:02 PM

I can't work out who is more pathetic:
the 2 thug henchmen wrestling a child off his bike and chucking him to the ground,
or the prize twit in white waving to the crowd.

Over all I think it fair to say I'm looking forward to the closing ceremony.

hillsideresident

14-07-2012 12:58 PM

This is the kind of cyclist I respect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEXRE0rmCU

Not defensive. Just says it how it is.

hillsideresident

15-07-2012 03:34 PM

Here's another cyclist who's not in denial:

"For the most part any friction between cyclists and pedestrians [on the Regent's Canal towpath] is the fault of a sizeable minority of the former."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/et...blog-canal

hillsideresident

15-07-2012 03:39 PM

And another:

"As a cycle campaigner I have spent the last 10 years having facility after facility blocked by the antagonism generated by this minority of louts. I now give them a piece of my mind or stop them when I see them shoot red lights / cycle on the pavement / up one-way street the wrong way / ....

Mind my own business? The distrust of cyclists they generate makes it my business."

Same link.

hillsideresident

15-07-2012 03:42 PM

And another:

"There's a lot of cyclists who do ride quite fast and aren't that considerate".

Says it how it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/pe...747037.stm

hillsideresident

15-07-2012 03:47 PM

There may not be any on this thread, but they are out there.

And lastly, from a pedestrian, which sums it all up, really:

"You can't relax and enjoy the walk because you're always looking over your shoulder"

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

16-07-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:
There may not be any on this thread, but they are out there.

Plenty of examples of cyclists on this thread who acknowledge and criticise bad cycling behaviour. No examples of cyclists who claim RLJ, pavement cycling, etc don't happen.

Part of me quite likes the fact that the 'discussion' on this thread just keeps going round and round and round, just like the wheels on my bike.

The rest of me just finds it tedious.

This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 10:14 AM by IWereAbsolutelyFuming.

Perryman

16-07-2012 03:05 PM

Do not feed the troll.
Smile

wayfarer

16-07-2012 03:20 PM

"feed the troll", what a great expression. Could us cyclists adopt it as a term to describe a concerted increase in speed.

note: but not on the pavement obviously Laugh

Pages (14): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields