SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Electoral Boundaries
michael

09-06-2011 03:37 PM

http://www.democraticaudit.com/the-uks-n...itical-map

The current consideration seems to be that Forest Hill and Dulwich will be merged to form a new constituency, along with Sydenham, Bellingham, and the return of Crofton Park to the fold.

It seems that all our neighbours want to take turns to vote alongside the people of Forest Hill.

I like the idea of Forest Hill being right in the centre of this new constituency and, for all its flaws, I feel closer to Dulwich than to Penge.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

09-06-2011 04:12 PM

What I'm not clear about is how much weight this is likely to carry with the Electoral Commission.

I assume someone will already have calculated which party is likely to win the seat assuming current voting patterns. Labour, I'd have thought, with Lib Dems a closeish (?) second?

robin orton

09-06-2011 04:15 PM

I mean Boundaries Commission of course - sorry.

roz

09-06-2011 10:50 PM

Can they not make their minds up? We've just had a major change.

Personally,I think this calls for another referendum; another waste of time and money,but hey, whats new.

michael

10-06-2011 07:51 AM

I don't see why boundary changes need referendums, they never have in the past. And what happens if Dulwich and Penge both want to be part of Forest Hill but Forest Hill wants to be part of Deptford. Where would we draw the boundaries for such a referendum Blink

robin orton

10-06-2011 08:13 AM

Don't forget the background to this, Roz, that is, the Faustian pact the Lib Dems made with the Tories: give us a referendum on AV (which we're sure to win) and we'll agree to your proposal for fewer MPs (to save money, of course) and therefore larger constituencies (which, as a side-effect - quite unintentional, of course - will result in more Tory MPs, but we can live with that).

brian

10-06-2011 08:19 AM

Surely Democratic that there should be a roughly equal number of people in each constituency.
A slight reduction in the number of MPs again should be a plus.
It is a red herring to refer to people who can not be bothered to register to vote. We should not spent millions writing to the in Somali , chav etc to get them to register, it is quite a simple process.
I have moved house twice in 3 years and informed the electoral registrars in first 2 weeks in each case.

michael

10-06-2011 09:03 AM

I've produced a little map with colours that have nothing to do with party politics (just order of colours in my pallette).

Red indicates the new Dulwich and Forest Hill constituency, blue is Catford, green is Greenwich and Deptford, and yellow are the bits of Bromley that are currently part of Lewisham West and Penge constituency.

In terms of party politics, both Dulwich and Forest Hill are represented by Labour MPs, Labour AM, and at ward level the new constituency breaks down as:
Labour: 14
Liberal Democrat:7
Conservative: 3
Which is roughly the same balance as the present Lewisham West and Penge constituency.

I hope the new MP will back my plan to bring the Bakerloo line underground to East Dulwich, Forest Hill, and Bell Green!

brian

10-06-2011 09:21 AM

New MP Michael. Who is to say Mr D will not be there for another 20 years.

Good idea about Bakerloo but guess it would change to change its name.

robin orton

10-06-2011 09:22 AM

Thanks for taking the trouble to do this, Michael.

Jim Dowd or Tessa Jowell, then?

robin orton

10-06-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:
Surely Democratic that there should be a roughly equal number of people in each constituency.
A slight reduction in the number of MPs again should be a plus.

Two separate issues, I think, Brian. The Boundaries Commission already, I believe, takes account of the first one.

brian

10-06-2011 09:36 AM

The bondary commission has still left vast differences in the size of constituencies

michael

10-06-2011 09:36 AM

Brian wrote:
New MP Michael

There's a thought Wink

I of course meant the MP for the new constituency.

rbmartin

12-09-2011 02:43 PM

There are proposals to redraw the constituency serving SE23. After gaining Penge as a cross Lewisham/Bromley seat, according to the Southwark News a new seat which may be called Dulwich and Sydenham or Dulwich and Forest Hill could become a reality in 2015 making up of 4 wards from the current Lewisham West & Penge seat and 4 seats from the Dulwich and West Norwood seat which are in Southwark.

This would mean for the first time, both parts of Wood Vale and Sydenham Hill would be represented by one MP instead of two going along council boundaries.

Sadly it means Jim Dowd could be replaced by Tessa Jowell in FH!

brian

12-09-2011 05:49 PM

Why would not Ms Jowell lose her seat?

rbmartin

12-09-2011 06:10 PM

Tessa's current seat Dulwich and West Norwood covers an area stretching from east of Brixton Road to the edge of Horniman Gardens and Sydenham Hill. It's seen that a cross Lambeth/Southwark seat isn't working, so as part of the boundary review, a seat which borders Lewisham and Southwark will be more relevant to constituents than the current situation where residents in FH share an MP with those in Penge and those in Dulwich with people who live the eastern part of Lambeth.

The new seat would also mean that constituents who live on the Southwark side of Honor Oak Park would also have the same MP as on the Lewisham side. Currently Harriet Harman is the MP for that part of SE23 as it forms part of the Peckham Rye ward.

NewForester

13-09-2011 06:26 AM

This was rumoured some time ago on the excellent 853 blog. The full prediction was on Democratic Audit

The actual proposal can now be found at the Boundary Commission, where you can have your say until 5 December.

NewForester

13-09-2011 06:30 AM

PS Personally I quite like the idea of including Crofton Park, Forest Hill, Perry Vale and Sydenham in one constituency.

The proposed constituency would be called Dulwich and Sydenham with 73,152 voters. It would comprise the following wards:

Crofton Park Lewisham 9,744
Forest Hill Lewisham 9,462
Perry Vale Lewisham 9,858
Sydenham Lewisham 10,188
College Southwark 8,119
East Dulwich Southwark 8,492
Peckham Rye Southwark 8,854
Village Southwark 8,435

admin
Administrator

13-09-2011 09:25 AM

Received from Lewisham Council:

Quote:
Details of the proposed parliamentary boundary changes can be viewed at five sites in Lewisham borough for 12 weeks from today: Deptford Town Hall, Lewisham Town Hall, Lewisham Library, Manor House Library, Forest Hill Library. Information on the Council’s website: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcounc...eview.aspx

There will also be a public hearing about the boundary review in Lewisham between Monday 24 October 2011 - Tuesday 25 October 2011 at Lewisham Town Hall, Catford, London, SE6 4RU.

rbmartin

13-09-2011 10:50 AM

I welcome the proposed change of the seat to merge parts of southern Southwark with FH/Sydenham. It should make it a lot easier to pressure our local MP on transport issues for example when both Dulwich and FH residents use the station and most of the local bus routes which run through the town.

It also brings the whole of SE23 together as one seat instead of the current situation where we either have Jim Dowd, Tessa Jowell or Harriet Harman campaigning on local issues.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does Everyone Know? Electoral Register ForTiger 0 4,505 18-11-2015 08:12 AM
Last Post: ForTiger