SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Nice roads on the east side of the tracks?
berlinhammer

02-03-2008 03:11 PM

hello all

i'm looking to buy a place in SE22/23 with two friends, we've been looking mainly in the honour oak area and to the dulwich side of the tracks but to be honest our budget is at breaking point.

options seem cheaper on the east side, and whilst i'm keen to stay as far from catford as i can it is much cheaper.

i saw a nice place on shipman road last week, it seemed nice though i did notice some security shutters on the corner shop. could anyone please give me an opinion on shipman road? any other nice little pockets in the FH/HO area brought to my attention greatly appreciated too.

thankyou!

jon

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

02-03-2008 03:32 PM

The Honor Oak Park Area between the Station and Blythe Hill is nice http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll...50&A=Y&Z=1

brian

02-03-2008 04:10 PM

There is no doubt property is far cheaper on East Side of The Tracks. Or basically the further you are from Hornimans.
There are some very nice roads on The East Side.
Maybe the new Forest Hill Central devolpment will open up the east side. Certainly the area behind the station already looks less like a shanty town.

michael

02-03-2008 05:13 PM

I used to live off Shipman Road and it is a quiet area. The corner shop does have shutters but then so do many shops on London Road so I don't think you can judge an area in this way.

The nice thing about Shipman Road is the path through to Sunderland Road which makes walking to the station much quicker (about 5 minutes).

Sherwood

02-03-2008 08:56 PM

I walk through Shipman Road on my way to the railway station. It always seems quiet with no problem.

berlinhammer

03-03-2008 09:48 AM

great thankyou

i'm probably being paranoid but considering the huge amount of money i'll be spending i want to get it right! Rofl

didnt notice that footpath but that's a big bonus.

cheers

j

Elizabeth25

03-03-2008 10:03 AM

I live in Shipman Rd. And it is very nice, friendly and quiet. To be honest the only trouble we have ever had on the street in my five years living there was a group of kids on their bikes too late at night in the summer. But that was three years ago. The shop tends to close at 8:00 pm on weekdays and 6:30 on Sundays. It is run by a very nice couple.

The new Methodist church on Normaton Rd now acts as a de facto Shipman Rd neighborhood community centre. My neighbor had her daughter's third birthday there. They have a toddler club and run yoga and pilates classes. And they do tennis lessons for kids in the summer.

If you want to get to the Horimian, and you don't want to walk. You can take the 356 bus on Perry Vale straight there. Shipman rd is also equidistant between the Sydenham and Forest Hill Sainsbury's--so you can take your pick.

I would highly recomend Shipman Rd. You get the benefits of Forest Hill with out the (sometimes snotty) attitude from those who live closer to the Horniman who secretly wish they lived in East Dulwich.

PVP

03-03-2008 10:04 AM

I've lived on Normantan St for 7 years now and always thought it a pleasantly quiet area. I experienced much worse unpleasantries when living in the urban meccas of Clapham and Kensington.

simonj

03-03-2008 10:20 AM

I live in Tatnell Road and love it, very quiet and just round the corner from the station.

leah

03-03-2008 01:54 PM

there are plenty of nice roads on the east side!

I live on Hurstbourne Road, so not far from Catford, but actually there are a lot of benefits to this, not just the fact it's not as expensive (although increasing rapidly)...

1) It is about the same time (10-12 mins walk) from Forest Hill and Catford station, so there is a much better choice of trains and destinations (and from the post about FH trains, a lot more room on the Catford lines)
2) but you can jump on a bus (185/122 from FH, 185 or 171 from Catford) if you are feeling lazy/its raining/you have a heavy bag
3) the 171 night bus home from town is very handy
4) near The Honor Oak pub
5) Catford is going to get a huge amount of investment in the next few years as they do up the area by the station, and hence house prices this end of FH are likley to rise - good investment oppportunity
6) its very quiet and safe out our way (touch wood)

Am sure there are more.... don't be tainted by the west-biased views of others! FH goes a long way east of the station!!!

Sherwood

03-03-2008 09:57 PM

leah,

You walk faster than I do!

Annie

04-03-2008 01:34 PM

Me too - I live around the corner from Hurstbourne and reckon on 12mins to Catford stations and just under 20mins to F Hill. It's great having more options for coming back from London Bridge and I've always felt safe walking up from Catford station. This part of SE23 has really come on in the last few years and we now have some good restaurants and pub in walking distance.

Bjorn

26-03-2008 03:15 PM

Only just read this post. I've lived on vancouver road for the last 9 months having originally looked at SE22 and the other side of the tracks. However, we were priced out as well. I would agree with the others who live on Hurstbourne road (just next to Vancouver). I'm about 10 minutes walk to Catford and the transport options that opens up are great. Vancouver Road is lovely, nice properties, quiet but near enough things (sainsburys and HOP) to still be well positioned.

brian

26-03-2008 04:03 PM

Yes the east is cheaper but mostly OK. I am moving back east after 23 years in the more up market west.
I wonder why the railway makes so much difference.

hilltopgeneral

26-03-2008 04:54 PM

brian wrote:
Yes the east is cheaper but mostly OK. I am moving back east after 23 years in the more up market west.
I wonder why the railway makes so much difference.

It's not the railway per se, just the fact that this marks the boundary between two areas of quite different topography and construction. It all goes back to the terrain, land ownership and the pattern of development.

brian

27-03-2008 11:03 AM

Hi Hill Top ( you must live on west side with name like that ).
I agree more Victorian Houses on West side but both sides have many Edwardian and betwwen the wars houses.
Before the canal I assume regular contact both sides.

hilltopgeneral

27-03-2008 01:07 PM

Before the canal, no houses I think.

edd

27-03-2008 05:03 PM

I live on Shipman Road and it's lovely - nice and quiet, with Mayow park within easy walking distance, and buses up to the Horniman regularly. And the "greasy spoon" cafe and the bakery down on Perry Vale are very friendly and soon know your name- there's a real community feel to this little enclave.

edd

27-03-2008 06:00 PM

Oh, but do check for damp! Apparently there's an underground stream under the road, and some of the houses - including ours - have needed extra damp-proofing. Maybe a bargaining tool?

Smile

Snazy

28-03-2008 01:18 PM

Another thumbs up for Shipman Road and its local surroundings. I regularly pass through with my dog and have not seen anything that makes me frown or shake my head yet Smile

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields