SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Inner South London line closure
Gep

29-09-2011 04:24 PM

Guys,
next year the Inner South London line will be closed.
Lots of people in South London will loose the direct links to London Bridge and Victoria.
I know it's not going to have an impact on Forest Hill, but it's a good cause anyway.

I convinced quite a few friends to sign our petition to stop the closure of the direct trains from Forest Hill to Charing Cross, so now it's our time to say thanks.

Please sign!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save...-line.html

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gep

29-09-2011 04:26 PM

There's also a Facebook page although it's not up to date:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5610272863

seeformiles

03-10-2011 12:34 PM

It will have an impact on Forest Hill; I use this line a lot and rely on it to change at Clapham Junction for journeys to Surrey and Hampshire.
I've always found it saves time avoiding central London and Waterloo.

Very sorry to hear this - I'd heard rumours, but I thought the idea was to replace it with the ELL to Clapham, although I'm not sure this will be a comparable service for those who want to travel direct to Victoria.

seeformiles

03-10-2011 12:38 PM

Ooops! Think I have my lines muddled up. But I will sign the petition; I have also used this line and I know of friends who regularly use it.

Thanks.

Brockley_Babe

03-10-2011 12:39 PM

I agree with seeformiles - I use this to go to Clapham Junction if going to South West London at weekends sometimes but more importantly when returning from the Victoria area in the evening it feels much safer getting one train rather than having to change somewhere and wait on a dark platform

NewForester

03-10-2011 02:47 PM

One of the reasons for the withdrawal of this service is the redevelopment of London Bridge station. While they are changing the platform layout, there will be less capacity at London Bridge - indeed there is the possibility that they might have to change our services as well in the near future, but Southern are being very careful not to make any promises at the moment.

The reason that the SLL was chosen to be cut is that it was a relatively under utilised service. That is not to say that it was unpopular, just that all the other services going into London Bridge were more crowded (and over 100% capacity). It was originally planned that the service would be replaced by one from from Victoria-Bellingham instead of Victoria - London Bridge, but TfL decided to trade that for the money to build ELLX2 - the upcoming service from Highbury & Islington to Clapham Junction via Peckham Rye. A fuller explanation can be read here.

Do not confuse the SLL with the service from Victoria to London Bridge via Forest Hill will still run.

Brockley_Babe

03-10-2011 03:02 PM

ah yes newforester - I was confusing the lines. This service is the one I jumped on by mistake one night last week thinking it was the HOP service Blush I had to get a bus from Queens Road Peckham

It was very full so must be a well used line and as you say serves a large number of people

rbmartin

04-10-2011 05:38 PM

For passengers who use the service to go between Guys and Kings College Hospital, it'll require a change at Peckham Rye where they'll be 10tph for the majority of the day to Denmark Hill. (4tph from Dartford, 2tph from Sevenoaks and 4tph on the ELL)

Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill will lose two direct services to Victoria, however the ELL will enable passengers to change at Clapham Junction for additional services to Victoria and also Waterloo and connections to West/SW London for the first time.

Clapham High Street is next to the Northern line tube station which has regular services into the city and also an interchange at Stockwell for the Victoria Line for Victoria.

While Wandsworth Road will lose it's service to Victoria, the fact it'll have 4tph to Clapham Junction, an increase of 2tph compared to the current Southern line and also interchanges for the tube at Clapham High Street, Canada Water (for Canary Wharf) and Whitechapel, this will give passengers a cheaper alternative to get to that area instead of going via Zone 1.

Where pressure should be put on is to ensure Southeastern provide additional services to Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill to Victoria using mainline services to compensate for the loss of the 2 SLL services from Southern.

Gep

17-10-2011 01:57 PM

@rbmartin

It is true that Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street are walking distance to the Northern Line at Clapham North, but if you have ever tried to use it in the morning to London Bridge you know that it's already beyond overcrowded.

I think even more people will use the Northern Line when the ELLX2 opens to avoid changing at Peckham Rye for London Bridge.

Also to go to Canary Wharf by using the ELLX2 people would have to change twice (at Surrey Quays and Canada Water), so I suspect a lot of these people will start using the Northern Line as well.

rbmartin

17-10-2011 02:08 PM

We'll have to wait until the new SLL launches, yet I remember when the ELL launched here that everyone would still use London Bridge and passenger habits changed thanks to the easier connections to the tube along the route.

Clapham High Street to Canary Wharf will be a much easier journey with a quick change to the Jubilee line compared to the current Northern/Jubilee via London Bridge, which is also more expensive as it requires Zone 1.

The important thing is TfL promote the new line (like they did here) properly to encourage passengers in Clapham and Wandsworth Road to switch from the Northern to the Overground for City and Canary Wharf journeys which will take some of the strain from the tube.

In any case, because of platform extension works at Battersea Park, the current SLL would be axed anyway.

NewForester

19-10-2011 11:09 AM

One piece of good news for ELLX2 is the reinstatement of the Surrey Canal Road station

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Korczak returns to South London michael 5 8,783 22-11-2015 09:25 PM
Last Post: roz
  London Overground Part Closure 25 July-2 August ChrisR 7 8,089 12-06-2015 06:44 AM
Last Post: ForestHillier
  South East London Book Group LBSELondon1 1 4,488 17-05-2015 09:11 PM
Last Post: LBSELondon1
  Bus Services - Overcrowded in South East London michael 58 55,883 12-09-2014 03:44 PM
Last Post: michael
  East London Line loca 281 288,049 24-01-2013 01:58 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Closure of London Bridge (upper station) in 2015 michael 36 39,360 29-11-2012 10:34 AM
Last Post: ambient
  Planning a wedding in south-east London roz 1 4,512 09-07-2012 04:16 PM
Last Post: roz
  RSPCA South East London's Animal Action Week piglet 0 3,801 14-11-2010 11:07 AM
Last Post: piglet
  East london Line, North vs the South admin 0 4,025 14-10-2007 10:42 PM
Last Post: admin