SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
New Bakery
simonj

01-03-2008 01:21 PM

Is it just me or have they put the counter a bit too central!! No complaints though some cracking bread and pastries to be had.Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
seeformiles

01-03-2008 01:56 PM

Where's this new bakery?

brian

01-03-2008 02:31 PM

Yes no idea myself. Where are they

nevermodern

01-03-2008 04:32 PM

I'm assuming it's the one in HOP:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=268

simonj

01-03-2008 06:31 PM

Yes its the one on Brockley Rise.

brian

01-03-2008 06:52 PM

Oh I see on the outskirts of Se 23

ringingcod

04-03-2008 05:28 PM

but nonetheless in SE23

brian

04-03-2008 06:36 PM

I agree but would be nice to have a Bakery in the downtown area

showtunesgirl

05-03-2008 09:42 AM

I don't understand what you mean by on the outskirts of SE23. Where does the boundary end and what do you mean by downtown? It's downtown for HOP!

brian

05-03-2008 11:42 AM

It is only my wierd sense of humour. I agree ideal for those living in the area.

evanick

10-03-2008 10:54 AM

Went to the new bakery first time and bread was very good. Fresh and nicely sliced for you, it even had sunflower seeds in it, although plain ones were also available. Won't need to bake my own now.

Sarah M

10-03-2008 11:51 AM

Sorry to say that I disagree with the quality of the bread. Went to the new bakery for the first time on Friday and got a White Bloomer. The bread had far too much sugar in it and went uneaten all weekend!

simonj

10-03-2008 11:59 AM

I bought the brown and it was great - stay off the white, its not as good for you anyway!!

evanick

10-03-2008 11:59 AM

Try the wholemeal with the seeds in it. I found the taste very good.

Jon Lloyd

10-03-2008 01:01 PM

Sorry to spoil the party, but my partner went in one day and asked for a wholemeal loaf and was shown a white loaf. When I asked on Saturday whether they had multi- seed loaf (and described this in various ways until the the girl seemed to understand) I was offered a white bloomer with poppy seeds on top. That's frustrating. Not wanting to be impolite, I bought a small wholemeal and left, but don't think we'll try it again. I usually make my own anyway but wanted to support local business. I can do without the irritation though. To my mind, if you work in a shop, find out about the products you sell. It's pretty basic.

Rant over.

simonj

10-03-2008 01:41 PM

Jon Lloyd wrote:
Sorry to spoil the party, but my partner went in one day and asked for a wholemeal loaf and was shown a white loaf. When I asked on Saturday whether they had multi- seed loaf (and described this in various ways until the the girl seemed to understand) I was offered a white bloomer with poppy seeds on top. That's frustrating. Not wanting to be impolite, I bought a small wholemeal and left, but don't think we'll try it again. I usually make my own anyway but wanted to support local business. I can do without the irritation though. To my mind, if you work in a shop, find out about the products you sell. It's pretty basic.

Rant over.

I think you will find that it is a language problem rather than lack of knowledge - a common mistake when interacting with people who have English as a second or poss third language. I'm sure the girls in there who clearly have not been in the UK for very long will pick it up quickly.

samantha40

02-04-2008 10:00 PM

I was in the bakery this morning with a friend. The language difference is a little bit of a problem - but one that can easily be overcome. Availability of product was a more significant problem: my friend wanted to buy an unsliced loaf and there were none available of any type (it was 9.45am), but, we were told, there would be some available later. When we asked at what time they usually have unsliced loafs the answer was vague - sometimes at 2pm, sometimes at 4pm.
It's a fairly usual requirement to sell whole loaves rather than sliced- crikey - even Percy Ingalls gives you this option. We are used to getting an unpredictable service from the 'bakery' at the Sainsbury's local, but I expect to get better service - as well as better bread - from a local baker.
On the subject of whether the bread is any good, I bought a honey loaf yesterday and it made great toast (sweet, of course, but then I like that). Also had a custard tart that was much better than average. I'll definitely keep shopping there.

evanick

07-04-2008 12:44 PM

I had the opposite problem. There were only unsliced loaves available and they would not slice them because the bread was too warm to put into a machine. That was in the afteroon about 3 pm so perhaps that it's best to come late by which time the bread will be cool enough to slice. Also, found the white bread too sweet so will have to stick to wholemeal, the only thing is how to convince the rest of the family that white is not really good for them.

wooza

09-04-2008 02:51 PM

Frankly the alternative for the past couple of years has been an Sunblest on its best-before-date from any of the neighbouring shops, so I am delighted to have fresh bread on my door step whether it be white / brown, sliced or not!

ruthb

09-04-2008 03:18 PM

Just to add my tuppence-worth, I went in the other day to get a jacket potato and they firstly didn't have a clue what I was talking about despite me pointing at the 'oven' behind them... they thought I wanted soup... When we finally got one out of the oven it was stone cold - oven had been switched off. They then microwaved it but not enough, the cheap marg hadn't melted (didn't discover this until I got home) - it was the most disgusting jacket potato I have ever eaten - had to throw most of it away, and I'm no fussy eater!

Saying that they were all very pleasant and attentive - it took 3 of them to do me a simple jacket potato with butter Ohmy

Very nice cream bun for pudding though!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields