SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bagpipes
Linzee

01-08-2011 07:42 PM

Any idea where those bagpipes I can hear are coming from? I live off Brockley Rise near st saviours church and for the last two hours I've heard the sound of bagpipes, pretty much non stop. It's far away enough to be quite pleasant but I can't work out where it's coming from.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

01-08-2011 08:01 PM

linzee wrote:
far away enough to be quite pleasant...

Edinburgh?
I generally find that bagpipes are best heard from a distance of approximately 400 miles.

jgdoherty

01-08-2011 08:45 PM

A super smart octopus that can talk is being studied in a leading Embra University.

It has a cordial relationship with the team studying him and the team in turn take great care to look after his wellbeing.

However they begin to observe that he is a little restless and has taken to making nocturnal escapes from the laboratory and is bringing prizes back in the morning.

One morning they find him in his tank and he is wrestlng with a set of bagpipes an his tentacles are all over the pipes.

The leader of the team approaches the tank and enquires as to when the octopus had developed the desire to play the bagpipes.

"Play them", he says, "play them ?"

"If I can get these tartan pyjamas off them, I plan to make love !"

spud

02-08-2011 10:19 AM

I think the piper is a Scottish feller called Alan who lives on Whatman Road - I caught him in action at a street party a couple of years back, and I've heard his skirling strains wafting over the gardens on many a long summer evening.

Personally, I like his playing. It did strike me that it would definitely get people's backs up if he wasn't any good. But he is - fortunately! I believe that he's won a few prizes, and that he's much in demand for weddings and the like.

I do wonder about his next door neighbours though. They must be pretty tolerant...

Honor Oak does seem well supplied with musicians. As well as the unmistakeable sound of reluctant schoolkids practising, I'm always hearing more fluent performances on cellos or violins or guitars. Often the players sound quite accomplished.

Some near neighbours were having an al fresco dinner party recently and the evening ended with something folksy and a little melancholoy on a fiddle that somebody produced. (Thanks to the player, if they're reading, because I enjoyed that.)

brian

02-08-2011 12:21 PM

I would much prefer Bagpiped to the infernal c**p music anyday

Andy

03-08-2011 08:06 AM

Ahh, the sound of bagpipes disappearing into the distance

jgdoherty

19-09-2011 09:45 PM

Beware of the extensive powers of SE23.com

The All Blacks can have their haka, the English their beloved dwarf throwing but the poor old Scots cannot be allowed a "blaw" on their pipes at the Rugby World Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/teleg...a-Hae.html

Back channel diplomatic feelers have been deployed by the Scottish Government to RWC organisers to have this insidious ban reversed, particularly after the Scots team donated £45k to assist with post earthquake re-instatement projects.

brian

21-09-2011 12:09 PM

I like the Bagpipes , which as we all know is native to Pakistan/ Afghanistan area.
As stated before hate c... music and would prefer bagpipes anytime

AMFM

21-09-2011 02:49 PM

what music do you hate Brian? - I'm intrigued now - first time it was infernal ******* music, now it's c... music. c**p music, country music, classical music, what is it??

brian

21-09-2011 04:55 PM

Well its not really music at all . I think some people call it rap. It is an abomination

shzl400

21-09-2011 07:26 PM

Ah yes, rap with a silent c.

I must admit to agreeing with Brian on this one.

Sherwood

22-09-2011 06:28 AM

With rap the words are sqeezed to fit the "music".

michael

22-09-2011 07:44 AM

It is rare that I'm actually in the mood to listen to music which has bagpipes in, but in all honesty is does happen from time to time. I am far more likely to listen to some good rap music Jay-Z, Billy Joel, Enimem, Grandmaster Flash, or Gilbert and Sullivan (just to prove the genre is a little older than many people believe).

Fortunately there is something to please everybody (or more likely nobody) and bring us back to the baggypipes.

Lenny

26-09-2011 10:22 PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how I can get hold of the guy who plays the bagpipes in Forest Hill (Alan?) as I would like to know if he would be interested in playing the pipes for us at a funeral next Monday 3rd October (in Forest Hill).
Many Thanks

Sherwood

27-09-2011 07:51 AM

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields