SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Wood Burning Stove
ForTiger

21-09-2011 08:31 AM

hi
Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations for installation of a wood burning stove? Suggestions as to its efficacy and recommended installers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

21-09-2011 09:31 AM

I think you need to check if you are allowed to use one in SE23.
We are in a smokeless zone.

ForTiger

21-09-2011 10:30 AM

Thank you for your response Sherwood. I am aware that I need to investigate what Lewisham's policy is, but have been given to understand that there are now some stoves that burn with such efficiency and minimal pollutant output, that they are exempt; or as an alternative, one could use smokeless fuels. If anyone has experience of these, it would be good to hear.

sydenhamcentral

21-09-2011 11:38 AM

Yes, stoves are available for smokeless area although I know a lot of people who have open fires in London and it doesn't seem to be enforced, like many things these days.

We had a Town and Country Little Thurlow stove installed two years ago and it's brilliant. It's made in the UK with British Steel. It will heat a 25ft x 14ft room. It's 5KW. Any larger than that and you have to have an open air brick into the room. We find it can be quite warm after a while so we open the lounge door and it heats the hallway. Make sure you stop drafts as the heat will tend to draw cold air through gaps.

The stove cost about a grand (stoves vary a lot, go for something good, we did a LOT of research) but the real cost is lining the chimney which cost an additional £1600.

It increase the value of your home and in the winter we have been known to just sit there looking at the flames rather than TV, it's hypnotic. You can easily turn the fire up and down and it's easy to empty. Make sure you burn seasoned logs and you will have to clean the glass, not matter what people say. We use a bit of vinegar and bicarb.

We use Mr Jolly to sweep our chimney who is great. Make sure you get a certificate with any sweep so you are covered in case of a fire. It will cost about 50 quid to get your chimney swept. Do it once a year.

It's eco friendly and well worth the rather large investment.

This site has lots of info and they were really helpful:
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/smoke-cont...r-act.html

as does this:
http://www.whatstove.co.uk

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Pom2000

21-09-2011 01:07 PM

I have a Morso Squirrel woodburning stove which is small but extremely powerful - it gives out a tremendous amount of heat. It's ok to use in a smokeless zone area so long as you use smokeless fuel. I believe you can now buy woodburning stoves which are adapted to burn wood in smokeless fuel zones but am not absolutely certain about this. I've had my stove for about 15 years and am just replacing a few bits which have worn out.

ForTiger

21-09-2011 05:54 PM

Sydenham Central, Pom2000, thank you so much for this information and the helpful comments. Great!

Triangle

22-09-2011 10:30 AM

Sydenhamcentral,

I'm curious! How do you turn a wood burning stove up or down? Is it by increasing or decreasing the amount of air the fire is drawing in - rather like a Bunsen Burner? More air = a hotter flame?

suzee

17-01-2012 09:36 PM

I wonder if the stove users on this thread could recommend someone to service my wood burning stove? We have just bought a house which has a Stovax which seemed to be used alot but I think needs a bit of TLC. Plus perhaps a look at the flue.

Tried to contact Sustainable Fires of SE23 but no luck in getting hold of them.

Thanks in advance!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wood-Burning Stove for sale - £500 suzee 0 2,273 25-10-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: suzee