SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Postal problems
Baytree

19-09-2011 04:52 PM

Is anybody else having a problem with letters not being delivered? I live on the Dartmouth Road side of Forest Hill and have not received two important letters (from two different sources) which were sent at the beginning of September.
Is anyone else having this issue?
Does anyone know who I should raise this with?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erekose

19-09-2011 07:30 PM

Yes. I have had a few letters I was expecting to arrive go astray over the past couple of years. I also get other peoples post with the same house number but with different road names so I wonder if thats where they go. I always put them back in a post box but you can never be sure that others do the same.

Merlin

19-09-2011 08:55 PM

I've got exactly the same issue. I get letters for the same flat and door number but not the same road. I put them back in the post box or if feeling energetic go and deliver in person.

I suppose it needs to be reported to the sorting office if it is a much wider issue.

jalapeno

19-09-2011 10:09 PM

Same here. The postman knocked the other day with a parcel for the same door and flat number, but wrong road.

Jane_D

19-09-2011 10:47 PM

I get this all the time, for several roads round here with the same initial letter as mine. Maybe we all have the same postman. It is very worrying.

poolsneighbour

20-09-2011 06:53 AM

Yup, same..still waiting on some stuff to come through that shoulve been here before..

Erekose

20-09-2011 08:07 AM

Interesting. As this seems to be a fairly common problem It is worth raising with the sorting office.

lelee

20-09-2011 09:17 AM

I am missing two postal tubes awol for two weeks now. My Housemate has had bank cards intercepted en-route and then accounts fished.

We constantly get other peoples mail that bear no reference to our street or house number - we live on Kemble Rd. This gets shoved back in the post box.

Parcels are generally never delivered, just those vile red cards that claim we were not at home when we clearly were, often watching the postman come up the drive, card in hand.

Don't get me started on the doorstep covered with red elastic bands!

Londondrz

20-09-2011 09:50 AM

When working from home I tend to wait for the postman to deliver then hand him the post that was not meant for my address with narry a comment as one is not needed. Otherwise I just deliver them myself if close or pop them back in the postbox on my way to the station.

showtunesgirl

20-09-2011 02:12 PM

We moved one street away and got Mail Redirection put on but most of the time we never got our mail! We complained several times and nothing happened until we went on the Royal Mail Twitter account and complained there. We got our money back very quickly and were dealt with more efficiently than by calling them.

BT

20-09-2011 03:20 PM

When I lived in FH I had lots of problems with other peoples post being delivered to me. I printed a batch of labels in bright red on my computer which said something like.

This Item has been re-posted because it was delivered to THE WRONG ADDRESS

..and stuck them over the stamp. It seemed to have the desired effect.

AJH

20-09-2011 05:48 PM

Same here. Manor Mount. Some days no post to the whole block (which seems very unlikely). Post delivered to us in error at least once a week.
Missing birthday cards Sad

Erekose

20-09-2011 05:55 PM

This becomes more interesting with each new revelation as I have had three Birthday cards go missing in the past two years one containing a cheque. I thought I was unlucky.

Sherwood

21-09-2011 07:38 AM

I only seem to get post on alternate days.

lelee

21-09-2011 08:47 AM

yes, i forgot to add in my previous post - missing birthday cards, cheques also missing from inside the card and on one occasion an empty envelope.

Also i do not trust the post box on Wasdale rd, by Stanstead road.
I've posted lots of things there which have never arrived - they are probably stashed in some lazy posties shed

Londondrz

21-09-2011 09:43 AM

Someone seems to be enjoying our latest Good Food and Olive magazines as we have not recieved them. Post is a bit of a joke around here.

Cellar Door

21-09-2011 09:56 AM

Baytree wrote:
Is anybody else having a problem with letters not being delivered? I live on the Dartmouth Road side of Forest Hill and have not received two important letters (from two different sources) which were sent at the beginning of September.
Is anyone else having this issue?
Does anyone know who I should raise this with?

Hey Baytree,

Lovely to see you on here again.
But I'm sorry to read that you are having problems with the local post.

Our house doesn’t appear to be having any postal problems. I have a steady stream of bills that arrive with alarming regularity.

But your postal problem has got me thinking about what has been delivered to us incorrectly and what has never arrived.

I’m not sure if this assists but here is my very quick analysis and conclusion:

I've lived on Woodcombe Crescent for nearly 15 years. My calculation (using an ancient Texas Instruments calculator on my desk) has it that we've about 4,692 potential mail deliveries. (And I've not even included the twice-a-day mail deliveries that stopped some years ago.)

In all that time I can count on one hand the number of incorrect deliveries. So, my bit of anecdotal evidence would suggest that Royal Mail have been rather accurate. Although, the amount of issues others, we are reading on here, are having may be hinting at some local systemic problem.

For your final question, this part of the Royal Mail website may provide some assistance.

Although not quite the same problem as you, showtunesgirl’s Royal Mail Twitter activity certainly produced good results.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your missing letters arrive post-haste.

Erekose

21-09-2011 10:14 AM

I have been carrying out a straw poll amongst friends locally who do not belong to the forum and it seems that the right house number / wrong (although often similar sounding) road name problem is quite common with them as well. One reported regularly receiving post for a house number and road name which bears no resemblence to theirs......although by a bizarre coincidence they do know the other couple.....how unlikely is that.

rbmartin

22-09-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:
When I lived in FH I had lots of problems with other peoples post being delivered to me. I printed a batch of labels in bright red on my computer which said something like.

This Item has been re-posted because it was delivered to THE WRONG ADDRESS

..and stuck them over the stamp. It seemed to have the desired effect.

I contacted the Royal Mail as I've had a similar issue, they told me to write NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS which so far has had the desired effect.

Merlin

22-09-2011 04:50 PM

'Return to sender' or 'Not known at this address' only really work if the letter gets to the correct address in the first place (the one on the envelope)

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Postal problems dita-on-tees 12 11,185 19-08-2008 08:21 AM
Last Post: Holly