SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Mugging in Honor Oak Park Saturday 14 January 2012
Tinkerbell

20-01-2012 01:36 PM

hoona - all good tactics I think, I do the same. It sort of gives me comfort to know that my valuables aren't all in my handbag so there's a good chance that if it ever happens, they'll at least not get the whole lot. Agree it mostly feels very safe in HOP. I've never been mugged and the only time someone tried to snatch my bag was in leafy NW3 (Hampstead). Let's hope it stays that way.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

20-01-2012 06:37 PM

Hello mitchy999,

Thank you very much for taking the time to warn people in the area about this incident last Saturday night.

And those residents of Grierson Road who came to help you were amazing, as you said.

What also amazes me is your quick recovery time. I’m heartened to read that in the space of just a few days you pushed through your anxiety and on the other side you found that you “…feel so strong now”.

I’m pleased to read on here how others employ various tactics to minimise risk. There are many others, of course, such as learning self-defence (physical and verbal) to carrying little devices with you (personal safety alarms). Many others. One tactic that I quite like, that one of my lady friends uses, is to wave every so often as though you've just seen a friend somewhere down the road or in a window. It could make you look a bit crazy but then muggers probably know best to avoid crazy people.

This thread has me reflecting when I’m lumbering home along quiet roads in the dark. I’m a 6 foot plus bloke with a big beard. Think Chewbacca. But balding.

So, when I find myself hulking down Devonshire Road late at night and there is a lady walking alone in front of me, looking over her shoulder furtively every few seconds, then I’ll switch to the other side of the road. Then overtake. And finally move back to their/my/our side further on, with an appropriate safe distance, so I can turn into my street.

I could hold back. Walk a bit slower. But my bladder is usually bursting. That’s me getting old and all that.

I know many other chaps that do these little types of dances down the street in an attempt to ameliorate concerns.

Oh, I really like hoona’s positives. A little over a year ago this thread emerged that certainly chimes in with hoona’s positives in our part of the world.

Jane_D

21-01-2012 06:58 PM

Your thoughtfulness is a credit to tall bearded Antipodeans, Cellar Door.

But unfortunately your strategy for not walking right behind lone women pedestrians at night clashes with mine for avoiding being followed. I cross to the other side of the road, wait for the bearded bloke to get ahead, then cross back and follow him. Endless confusion could arise if our strategies coincided one dark night...

roz

21-01-2012 09:44 PM

Indeed but I agree about the bit about seeming a little crazy. I used to live on Perry Vale about half way down for a number of years. I went out a lot and often caught the night bus home or one the late buses which meant that I had to go through the underpass to get home. That part was bad enough so I used to run all the way through but I found the bit before and after the car park scary as it was easy enough to be dragged in there.
I sometimes felt someone was following me so I sometimes used to burst into song, or even turn around to directly challenge people, usually men, walking behind me. Who knows how many innocent members of the public I must have terrified but I did feel better and more reassured about coming back late. So whatever works for you....

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Friends of Garthorne Road Nature Reserve Taskday Saturday 5th January 11am-3.30pm Herbparis 0 2,461 28-12-2018 11:37 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Honor Oak Women's Institute - next meeting Monday 9th January HonorOakWI 0 2,561 08-01-2017 07:35 PM
Last Post: HonorOakWI
  Honor Oak Women's Institute Meeting - Monday 5th January 2015 HonorOakWI 0 3,644 03-01-2015 06:03 PM
  Pantomime in Honor Oak Park! 25/26 January EdTheVicar 4 6,209 15-01-2014 12:06 PM
Last Post: EdTheVicar
  Free Panto in Honor Oak Park this Saturday Huckle 0 2,877 22-11-2012 09:45 AM
Last Post: Huckle
  Honor Oak Women's Institute Meeting - Monday 1st October 2012 HonorOakWI 0 3,604 28-09-2012 06:11 PM
  Honor Oak Women's Institute Meeting Monday 10th September 2012 HonorOakWI 0 3,129 06-09-2012 12:23 PM
  Lively Minds (Overr 55's) Sessions from January - June 2012 foresthilllibrary 0 3,089 21-12-2011 03:25 PM
Last Post: foresthilllibrary