SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Cycling
Cellar Door

01-09-2009 12:42 PM

Hi IWereAbsolutelyFuming, "lycra-clad" was thoughtless on my behalf. On reflection, I concur with your observation of the RLJs.

Thanks for the heads-up about the cycle lanes.

Happy cycling.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

01-09-2009 12:55 PM

Cycle lanes tend to be there for cyclist safety more than anything. Nine Elms Lane is a glaring example of this.

Personally I would prefer it if they DID stick to the lanes.

As for the people who jump the lights, its every walk of life on a bicycle, kids, adults, lycra, combats, racers, retro,..... The more that get nicked, the better.

Cellar Door

01-09-2009 01:16 PM

Hi Snazy, I've been pleased to observe cyclists getting nicked, on and off over the last six months, at the corner of East Dulwich Road and Peckham Rye. They were getting nicked by going "offroad" onto the pavement.

What I think they are attempting to do is circumnavigate the cars that are lined up on Peckham Rye going north to get to the front of the lights.

I sit back and watch the old bill stepping out from the bush and nicking them. I feel schadenfreude. A barely disguised smile playing on my lips and saying "Good" quietly to myself as I cycle past.

Snazy

01-09-2009 01:20 PM

Good for you mate, hopefully I will see such a sight one day, and enjoy the same feeling as yourself.

I would of course be tempted to take my camera with me lol

ryananglem

01-09-2009 03:57 PM

I am a cyclist that not only dresses in lycra (sometimes) but also pays attention to the rules of the road. I would like to hope that this is why over the years Ive never been involved in any kind of accident. I do have a near miss on most days however with drivers (mostly, but also pedestrians) who just dont look - or who dont think you are really going that fast.

Despite having similar attitude to the rules of the road, my wife was rear-ended on her bike whilst waiting at a red light at the intersection outside tescos on London road going downhill. The apologetic driver did give her a lift home with her broken bike though, not before running the same red light again!

You just cant generalise about the type of vehicle or person who is a danger on the road!

Cellar Door

01-09-2009 08:15 PM

ryananglem wrote:
...my wife was rear-ended on her bike whilst waiting at a red light at the intersection outside tescos on London road going downhill.

Ouch!
Of all the roads and intersections in London including The Elephant and Castle gyratory, Hyde Park, The Blackwall Tunnel to name a few -this downhill stretch is one that I fear the most!

I've got to keep a wary eye on cars that are pulling into the garage and overtake me and turn left but not indicating. Or pull out from the garage expecting me to slow down. Or turn into Honor Oak Road, again overtaking and not indicating. It's a real frenetic intersection.

Your poor wife! My constant fear of being hit by a vehicle has me obeying the rules. Indeed, your example of your wife clearly highlights that you cannot generalise.

I've just bought another fine helmet. It's one of those that's got a red light built into the back of helmet and this thingy that flips out from the visor comes right up to almost touching my eyeball and allows me to see what's happening behind me. It looks sooooooooooooooooooo cool. I feel like a cross between The Terminator (the original movie) and those guys from X-men 2 that invaded Charles Xavier's School for the Gifted. But sitting on my big pretty green and white Schwinn Beachcruiser cycle, I probably look like a pillock.

ryananglem

02-09-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:
Of all the roads and intersections in London including The Elephant and Castle gyratory, Hyde Park, The Blackwall Tunnel to name a few -this downhill stretch is one that I fear the most!

I know! It is very scary, there are so many places that cars can come from on that short stretch and Im always worried that they havent seen me. I can only breathe out when I get passed the turnoff to Waldenshaw road - because its a bus lane, cars often swerve accross in front of you either because they think they can pass you, or because they havent seen you.

I do like the sound of your helmet though, it may be an(other) investment for the winter.

Cellar Door

02-09-2009 11:15 AM

ryananglem wrote:
I do like the sound of your helmet though, it may be an(other) investment for the winter.

Here's a link to the Bell Metropolis helmut that I've just bought. I got it at Comptons Cycles down at Catford. I buy my Schwinn's elsewhere as they don't stock them but get Comptons to do the repairs. They've got some top-notch cycle mechanics in there.

I think it kinda looks like the helmut that Luke Skywalker et al wore on the Moon of Endor when they were riding those Speeder Bikes through the forest. I'm gonna tie my ragdoll cat, Blue, to the back of the bike so it looks like I'm being chased by an Ewok.

Those guys were lucky as they only had to contend with Imperial Storm Troopers and not the London South Circular like we do.

Ghis

02-09-2009 11:17 AM

Where did you get your Schwinn? I love them.

Cellar Door

02-09-2009 12:07 PM

Hi Ghis,

They are great! So comfortable to ride. They have these HUGE padded dual spring saddles. And because it's a "sit up and beg" styl-ee bike you get a commanding vantage point in the traffic to see and be seen. Here it is in all its glory on the Schwinn UK site. Oh, check out the full wrap steel fenders (no more water marks up my backside when it rains) and the whitewall tyres. It's got coaster brakes which engage when you backpedal. I'm living the freakin' dream riding this glorious machine!

I've got three of them. The first one I acquired second hand quite a few years ago.

The green one that I favour riding at the moment I got from Discount Bicycles over at the Mahatma Gandhi Industrial Estate on Milkwood Road in Brixton. Those guys are wonderful. Really good service. I went to pick mine up rather than deliver. That had it completely built from the original packaging within the hour. It cost ?399.

Recently, I bought this 2009 Schwinn Classic AL Cruiser from Edwardes of Camberwell Road. They had them already made up in the window ready to ride away. I simply liked the colour. It's a lower spec and should have cost ?349 but Edwardes slugged me ?399 (I've just realised!). I wouldn't go back to Edwardes again because I left another bike there for a service and they actually didn't do anything to it and charged me ?35. But I digress.

The Holy Grail of Schwinn is the 2009 Classic Seven Deluxe. As I was typing that I heard Angels singing. Even though it is on the Schwinn UK website they haven't started importing them yet. But look how the front headlight is molded to the steel fender. Beautiful. Just Beautiful.
Kenneth from NBC's 30 Rock series rides one of these. What more do I need to say?

Cellar Door

03-09-2009 04:50 PM

jon14 wrote:

Cellar Door wrote:
Bravo, jon14!
I've been cycling to work since Jan 2008. I've gained pounds (about ?2,000) and lost pounds (about 20lb).

Cool! From SE23 to where? How long does it take and do you do it come rain or shine?

For anyone who hasn't been paying attention or couldn't give a monkeys...all of the conversational action between jon14 and myself happened on this thread...Train Service to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak and we've been politely shown the portal to this thread.

So, jon14, to pick up on our train of thought about cycling...I ride from SE23 3BG to NW1 6AA. It's about 9 or 10 miles depending which bridge I favour to cross on the day etc. I'm a slow rider and I stop for a ciggie break (in Grosvenor Square lately) and I ride a Cruiser bike (see posting above for a pic) which are NOT built for speed. Door to door, um, about an hour.

And it is a rain or shine thingy with me. To tell you truth I've rarely had to get the wet weather gear out. Except during the last few months. Blimey, there have been more wet days in the last few months than have been in the last few years. I like getting wet when it's warm though. Reminds me of my childhood in Australia.

I loved the big ol' storm that swept into Forest Hill in June. Were you here? I was around East Dulwich when the first of the dinner plate sized drops started to fall. And I needed to go for a wee so badly I kept on riding. I was drenched within 500 yards but the pain of needing to go for a wee kept me riding. I could have let loose while riding during the torrential downpour but I didn't even though no-one would have known. I then scooted down London Road, paddled into Sainsburys and go myself into their toilet. I'm a frickin' hero. (Actually, I'm a hero in a lot of my stories.)

Ghis

03-09-2009 08:05 PM

Excellent story!

I drive a 60s classic car and the Classic Seven Deluxe would look brilliant next to it. I may have to treat myself for my birthday next year which should fall around the same time as the time chosen by Southern to cut our direct trains to London.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields