SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Where in SE23...
Ciej

06-09-2011 04:51 PM

...would you like to live if you suddenly came in to a lot of money and decided to trade up to a phenomenal house on a nice street somewhere in the district.

I'll start: some of the houses on the east side of Wood Vale are amazing.

PS: I haven't actually come in to a lot of money, I'm just planning for the surely inevitable lottery win.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AMFM

07-09-2011 08:50 AM

I'm with you on Wood Vale. Houses on Allenby Road are all lovely too.

bigjulie

07-09-2011 09:42 AM

The problem with Woodvale is the neighbours; dodgy ex-NOTW editors...

brian

07-09-2011 09:50 AM

The roads at the rear of Horniman's are great. I especially like the two art deco houses.

Sherwood

07-09-2011 10:20 AM

There goes the neighbourhood!

Cellar Door

07-09-2011 11:10 AM

brian wrote:
The roads at the rear of Horniman's are great. I especially like the two art deco houses.

Brian, absolutely.

We will therefore become close neighbours as I’ve mentally earmarked the Art Deco house on the corner of Horniman Drive and Ringmore Rise when I become comfortably well off. (Picture me like Daffy Duck, from the 1957 Warner Brothers classic cartoon Ali Baba Bunny, as he dives into the treasure inside the cave to the tune of the song "We're in the Money". You’ll hear me hooting, "I'm rich! I'm wealthy! Yahoo! I'm comfortably well off!")

I have spent many a whimsical moment staring into space imagining myself living there.

I observe that it is given a little mention in this The Dulwich Society Winter Walk.

brian

07-09-2011 12:20 PM

Celler Door

Yes amazing house. Must have a great view from the poop deck.

michael

07-09-2011 02:15 PM

Featherstone Lodge is a good size with room for a swimming pool in the garden, so that might work out. There are a few other huge houses on Sydenham Hill and some really nice houses on Thorpewood Avenue, Redberry Grove, Manor Mount, and one I have always liked the look of on Westwood Park.
A tower would be nice as I like the views. So the house on Liphook Crescent with the folly must be worth considering and the top floors of the converted church on South Road/Church Rise. Failing that you could always build your own tower on Westbourne Drive.
Actually, thinking about non-existent houses on Westbourne Drive, the house at the corner of Perry Vale that has not been built yet, looks fantastic from the plans.

Cellar Door

07-09-2011 03:32 PM

Oh, Beltwood House just outside SE23 on Sydenham Hill needs to be added to my shopping list of local properties.

Purely because it looks creepy and is slightly secluded in a Scooby Doo way.

And because of all the weirdness surrounding that American woman and her dogs and the ASBO thingy and the New Year raves that she organised. And then she disappeared.
Google "Tracy Thier" and "Beltwood House" for more information.

More than once, when riding past, I've wanted to jump the fence to see what's going on in there.

edd

07-09-2011 08:32 PM

I'll fight you for Beltwood house.
Or most of the places on Allenby and Garlies roads. Laugh

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-09-2011 08:44 PM

Has 'the shrine' gone from the edge of the beltwood house estate now?

sydenhamhiller

07-09-2011 09:43 PM

Sadly, the Beltwood shrine has gone - new developers gave 2 weeks notice for the lot to be shifted (nice). Our garden backs on to the back of Beltwood - we used to feed the previous owners' horses carrots over the fence. Anyway, to those of you wanting to buy Beltwood with your millions, you've been pipped to the post: we've been contacted by the new developer owners this week as they need all of us on side so we don't oppose their planning...they're planning to refurbish the house, extend the gatehouse and build 5 executive houses. It's not garden grabbing at all, it's helping give people jobs, and put money in an ailing economy...isn't that what the George Osbourne and Eric Pickle are saying at the moment?

As you can imagine, as a little gang of neighbours, we're all thrilled...NIMBYs, us?

Sherwood

08-09-2011 06:43 AM

I like my house in Hurstbourne Road as we have allotments at the back. So we have a big open space. I would not oppose a development in my back yard either!

Londondrz

08-09-2011 07:15 AM

CD, I am afraid the art eco house is taken!!! By me.......when I win the lottery......so thereLaugh

robin orton

08-09-2011 08:04 AM

What was this 'shrine' I keep reading about? An exquisitely gilded statue of Our Lady of Sydenham housed in a baroque-style chapel hung with votive offerings?

robin orton

08-09-2011 03:13 PM

Ah, I see from the SE26 forum that it was in fact a road death memorial. I wouldn't have made my frivolous comment if I'd known - sorry.

blushingsnail

08-09-2011 03:38 PM

Featherstone Lodge has been bought by a housing association with the intention of turning it into 'co-housing'. There's an open day on Saturday 17 September: http://www.cohousing.org.uk/node/409

For some reason they're claiming it's in Sydenham, although it has an SE23 postcode.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields