SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Appeal to trace three Bromley suspects accused of robbing a girl near Forest Hill sta
Sherwood

25-08-2011 05:23 PM

I thought the Police cold trace a mobile telephone through its signal.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

26-08-2011 10:12 AM

Sandy, there is a "them and us" culture. Them that takes from us!! Mugging a five foot tall teenager aged 15 for her mobile phone does not really seem the right thing to do. Have you been mugged before, I guess your opinion may well change (or do you fall into the "I feel sorry for them because they have obviously had a hard upbringing so they are just trying to set a balance between have and have not's")??

brian

26-08-2011 10:27 AM

Sandy
Are you saying they look reputable citizens who pay their taxes , help old ladies across the road , say thank you to bus drivers when alighting.

Interesting HMG mentioned to say that obesity is one of the most dangerous and costly problem facing the UK.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

26-08-2011 10:48 AM

That's not for Sandy to answer Brian - more relevant is what is it about them that makes you think they don't do any of those things?

They may well be the culprits but I don't thing there is anything about their appearance that justifies disparaging remarks.

notstoppin

26-08-2011 10:53 AM

Londondrz; sandy's post quite clearly stated that "Questioning prejudiced comments.... does not mean that there is any condoning of the offence." This alleged robbery was clearly a traumatic experience for the victim and I hope (as I'm sure sandy does) that the perpetrators are found, prosecuted and punished.

The difference between us, however, is that I believe in a society in which everyone is equal before the law and all criminals receive the same condemnation. You and Brian, on the other hand, seem to reserve your criticism for those whom you find unattractive / obese / socially inferior. Obesity and poverty may both be on the rise but they are not yet crimes to be punished by the (presumably) better-fed and better-off.

brian

26-08-2011 11:02 AM

How can obesity be put down to being poor. Obesity means eating too much , simple as that.

Let us however concentrate on the poor young lady who seems to have reconised the culprits. What a terrible experience.

sandy

26-08-2011 11:04 AM

Actually I have been mugged as it happens and in quite frightening circumstances.

And so I can understand that those involved might well have all sorts of vicious feelings towards their attackers.

I just happen to think, that as an observer, it is possible to be angry about such attacks and to empathise with victims without extending out into generalised commentary about groups of people.

My point was that if the CCTV clip had been seen devoid of the context, would those people still be seen as 'scary' or 'scum'? Neither could I possibly say what these images show about whether those people are respectable etc. or even whether they are 'obese'.

What I think about the motivation for such offences is not relevant to the points I have tried to make.

mgmonkey

26-08-2011 01:08 PM

One can normally expect a reply with the mention of "scum" and to "throw away the key" when a crime is mentioned on this forum.

Like clockwork.

brian

26-08-2011 02:01 PM

I guess you would not call the muggers scum but fine upstanding ladies????

As I said let us concentrate on the poor victim

Londondrz

26-08-2011 02:08 PM

Notstoppin, I being rather portly mayself did not say anything about the size of the muggers but did say that we should not try and side with the more "liberlal minded" who would make excuses for anyones social upbringing as an excuse to rob a small 15 year old.

shzl400

26-08-2011 02:24 PM

There was a piece recently on tv, might have been the 7 o'clock show, where Dom Littlewood filmed the reactions of the public to his 60-something sound engineer asking them the time,directions etc., first in just t-shirt and jeans and then with a hoodie, with the hood up. The difference in the reactions was quite startling.

You can say "don't judge a book by its cover" and that you can't generalise over a whole group of people as much as you like, but human nature is to do just that and judge people by the first impression. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, but that it takes significant effort of will not to jump to conclusions.

Sherwood

26-08-2011 03:54 PM

You certainly cannot judge a book by its cover. I have seen CCTV of suspected pickpockets who did not look suspicious!

notstoppin

26-08-2011 06:01 PM

"Notstoppin, I being rather portly mayself did not say anything about the size of the muggers but did say that we should not try and side with the more "liberlal minded" who would make excuses for anyones social upbringing as an excuse to rob a small 15 year old."

Would they, londondrz? Really? I doubt it. Certainly, no-one on this forum has suggested that we should make excuses for these young women. What I (and others) objected to was the nasty, prejudiced and irrelevant comments made by Brian - comments which you chose to defend - about the class, weight and appearance of the alleged attackers; as if that were the issue rather than the robbery they are alleged to have carried-out.

"How can obesity be put down to being poor. Obesity means eating too much , simple as that."

Brian, like londondrz, you insist on challenging an argument that no-one has made. I did not say that poverty caused obesity; I merely pointed-out that you seemed more concerned with the size, appearanced and social class of these young women than with the offence they are alleged to have committed. Let us all condemn robbers - but for their actions rather than the fact that you find them unattractive. I doubt they'd want to meet you on a dark night either!

brian

27-08-2011 01:28 PM

Not stoppin
My last two posts have emphasised we should concentrate on the victim not the criminals , which is usually the case.

As for saying alleged I thought I had read that the poor victim had picked them out.Apologies if that is not correct.

I agree with many of your comments but as you will see from the great cartoon in today's Daily T , obesity is a very major problem.

Anyway let us hope that these ( ladies) are arrested soon and spending many months at HM's pleasure.

I sincerely hope I do not bump into them whether the night is dark or not.

brian

30-08-2011 11:42 AM

Does anyone know if these scum have been caught yet? If they live in Penge / Sydenham but be someone that knows them.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill has been chosen to pilot Met Trace P1971 3 4,645 30-09-2015 09:22 PM
Last Post: P1971