SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
That bus lane camera (Stansted Road)
baggydave

24-02-2008 08:55 AM

BD was amongst the many of us caught turning left into Brockley Rise and getting a (then) ?80 fine. Now you all know how he supports bus lane controls, but thought this was rather excessive (light traffic on a Saturday lunch time, no buses, actually moving into the left hand lane at the approriate time (but 3 cm to early), no need for 7 - 7 bus lanes here etc). Rather than rant he thougth he'd use official means to address this, in part stirred up as there is a rumour that the bus lane camera had been repositioned being the reported third most 'successful' in London.

After some dialogue with TfL, the Local Authority Ombudsman he was left with one alternative, a Freedom of Information Request. Whilst he did not get the outcome he wanted (he still believes that this should have been a warning as a 'near miss' -yes it does exist) he was actually impressed with TfL's handling of the FOI request.

Anyway dear reader, the facts are:

The Camera has not been repositioned

2005 10,741 PCNs (5.9% of London total)
2006 4847 (4.7 %)
2007 (4.9%)

Interesting the number of penalty notices have significantly reduced both here and across London, but that Stansted road is still at around 5% of all PCNs very high.

They also attached detailed criteria on when PCNs are issued - not worth including here but notable to say this includes 'did the driver gain an unfair advantage' which BD and certainly most of the good denizens he knows of who were caught, did not.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

24-02-2008 11:24 AM

Yes BD
I like you do not currently drive but when I did avoided the Shell Garage / Shop because you have to so careful leaving there.

Sherwood

24-02-2008 02:44 PM

I don't go anywhere near the Sainsbury's on Stanstead Road now.
I suggest you avoid the bus lane and camera by turning left into Malham Road. You can make your way through the side streets and come out in Brockley Rise.

baggydave

24-02-2008 04:57 PM

Silly me did not put in the 2007 figures and in a fit of decluttering they are somewhere in the recycling box - lets just say they were lower again.

Legs11Eleven

03-03-2008 05:30 PM

I received a ?120 fine (lucky me I paid in time and only had to pay ?60!), even though I had only nipped in a metre or so early, and despite the fact there were no buses and nobody 'before' me turned in after.

But I found out some insider info, the camera is there to be positioned at the cross section. To fine cars sitting in the yellow box, capture any accidents and ensure smooth running of the junction. VERY rarely is it positioned at the bus lane on Stansted Road, and when it is you will discover it is to boost money, generally at particular times of the month, as they know this is easy pickings. Not my words, I hasten to add.....

baggydave

03-03-2008 10:08 PM

Hi Legs 11 - I was using this thread to exorcise myself of the spectre of the bus lane camera when you raise yet another issue!

I'm unhappy with the level of enforcement (ie 100%!) - regualations need to be fair and proportionate. As with you the two times that I have been caught were when I was not gaining any advantage. A warning letter would have been suitable, rather than alienating drivers such as me who believe in the need to have preferential arrangements for public transport.

Interesting to hear what you say as I thought that my information was on people being fined for being in the bus lane (and I am sure the info they provided me was for this - showing it it the, or one of the, most 'successful' bus lane cameras in London - a further Freedom of Information request to TfL would not go a miss - I'll PM you something as I really have taken this as far as I want to!

BD - democracy in action

sydeman

29-04-2008 06:17 PM

I was caught by this camera on a Sunday afternoon about a month or so ago. The problem is alot of bus lanes have different times you can use them, and unfortunately amongst everything else i have to look at when driving, i could'nt read the sign telling me of the times for this one; hence i was fined. This is the first time ever i have been fined for driving, and really felt that it was over the top. I am a law abiding citizen, and felt i was being made a criminal for what was honestly a honest mistake! The annoying thing was that no buses were in the lane at the time. ?60 is alot, whereas a letter would more than sufficed. I use the buses alot as well, and can understand that the bus lanes need to be clear, but so do the restrictions; fining me has left more of a bitter taste in the mouth, rather than feeling i am helping out public transport

WestRat

09-05-2008 08:46 PM

I too got caught by this camera whilst avoiding a stalled car about ten metres before the end of the bus lane !

Attached File(s) Image(s)

shzl400

10-05-2008 07:21 AM

WestRat wrote:
I too got caught by this camera whilst avoiding a stalled car about ten metres before the end of the bus lane !

Appeal. Word has it, if you have a reasonable excuse, you're liable to get off.

ForestGump

30-07-2008 11:25 PM

I don't if it is this bus lane but on BBC1 London news they had an item about a review of red route signs and motorists being wrongly fined.

The item shows a list of the top locations for issuing PCNs, Stanstead Road bus lane is number 7.

The report also says there is a list of 400 sites where fines are being reviewed or beeb suspended, it was not clear if Stanstead Road was among those being challenged.

eddy

31-07-2008 08:08 AM

did anybody else notice how many of the top ten were in lewisham ?

Anyway this site helps us fight back if that cam is suspended and you get a pcn these people will fight your case for ?7
http://www.appealnow.com/

time we stood up to these money grabbing machines,

PVP

31-07-2008 08:53 AM

Baggydave,

Shame on you for using a motorised vehicle. My image of you as old cycling peacenik has been shattered.

PVP

Sherwood

31-07-2008 11:18 AM

I saw 433 Bromley Road in the list.

eddy

31-07-2008 02:23 PM

does wizz past a bit fast for some people.
here is the top 10 places as per that report.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

brian

31-07-2008 02:44 PM

Could it be the drivers in our part of London are less law abiding than in other areas. I am sure not correct but is of course a posibility.
The answer surely is to drive within the law of the land.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  London Road/Lordship Lane resurfacing works rbmartin 1 4,876 11-03-2016 01:57 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Canonbie Road - Google Camera Car - A Mystery! Cellar Door 0 4,672 16-05-2013 02:55 PM
Last Post: Cellar Door
  Police at Stansted road address simonwait 47 49,557 12-11-2012 11:23 AM
Last Post: kappacino