SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »
Riots in London
Tinkerbell

09-08-2011 12:19 PM

TND - yes, you may be right. Very sorry to hear about your friend. Saw some pictures of residents in Camberwell getting together for a clean up - great to see!

Although what I was suggesting was more along the lines of actually being there before any of the looters can get to the high street. Forming a sort of cordon in front of the shops with as many people as possible, and outnumbering them by far. It might just make these kids turn around and move on. But perhaps that's wishful thinking on my part.

It's just hard to sit and watch and then later on wonder what everyone could have done to stop it from escalating further.

Also, I'm actually not sure what the big deal is about water guns, they work very well to disperse crowds on the continent, and by and large, don't cause that much harm.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

09-08-2011 12:33 PM

Why are we worried about causing harm to this scum. Surely the more harm the better.

PVP

09-08-2011 01:05 PM

To use an awful phrase from yesteryear, tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime. Ugh, that felt ugly!

Mr missus is a Met office and got back home at 8 this morning after an 18 hour shift so please don't insinuate I am some kind of hoodie hugging liberal. As many have said, this has been building for years and the causes are varied. There has been a breakdown of respect and it will not be cured by a 'lock em up' mentality.

brian

09-08-2011 01:25 PM

Can the PM not speak to Mr Sarkozy and borrow the French Riot squad.

Surely if EU means anything we should help each other in need.

PVP I appreciate your wife is in the Met and having long hours and wish her all the best.

Lock em up might not be long term answer but you cannot have anarchy at any cost.
I hope the extra police will work tonight but still think cs gas etc and the army plus foreign help is the answer.
I am surely not alone worrying if these scum get hurt.

dartmouth

09-08-2011 01:41 PM

Amidst all of the thuggery and animalistic behaviour, some good does shine. Absolutely blown away by the reports of people going out onto the streets to clean up and stand up united. Community spirit will live on even when certain parts of that community are intent on destroying it.

For too long now, there has been too soft an approach to the gang related crime which goes on in our neighbourhoods and as predicted, it has bolied out of control as it now seems that gangs will now even work together in order to cause chaos and satisfy their selfish needs. It is surely now time for someone in power to have to balls to impose some serious and strict discipline.

shzl400

09-08-2011 02:13 PM

All going off again - reports of Morrisons in Camberwell being looted and the Peacocks there being on fire.

Merlin

09-08-2011 02:40 PM

Dear Dartmouth,
I know this isn't the time or place to focus on this, and I may get insults as a result, BUT ..... Animals do not loot shops, this is not 'animalistic behaviour'. This is human behaviour at its worst. Police may end up using animals to protect the community (horses and dogs)
These are selfish, mindless, spiteful thugs - they do not represent our society as a whole, and they are not animals.

I hope this ends soon.

dartmouth

09-08-2011 03:31 PM

Animalistic - an indifference to all but physical appetite and a description of humans with no spiritual/moral reasoning................pretty spot on I would say!

These thugs are only interested in satisfying their own selfish, greedy desire (looting) and are ignorant to the moral argument which stares them directly in the face (violence and aggresion against the innocent people on their community).

roz

09-08-2011 04:11 PM

I work in central Brixton and we were told in no uncertain terms to leave at lunchtime today as a group of 'children' were heading up from Croydon to finish off Brixton. Not sure how much there is left to loot - hope they don't do Morleys but thats a bit middle aged for them so probably not.

Foot Locker is decimated and the area cordoned off and left as it probably was left on Monday morning. I spoke to some police officers who said they were being sent here and there according to the information they were receiving however although it was probably reliable the organisers were changing venue very quickly if they spotted a significant police presence.

I understand that various schools have been set on fire in Lambeth but these needs corroroboration and clarity as might not be related to the general trouble that is going on but its hard not to assume links at this stage.

The fact remains that it is the local community in what are still fairly deprived areas who will mainly suffer from all of this economically.

admin
Administrator

09-08-2011 07:58 PM

More from Met Police:

Quote:
Can you please feed into the community. The images of suspects involved in the disorder and looting in London have started to be uploaded from the centre it is imperative that we begin to start identifying these individuals so they can be brought to justice.

A dedicated webpage has gone live displaying the images of people the Metropolitan Police Services wants to speak to in connection with the serious disorder and violence that has been affecting parts of London.

The link is http://www.met.police.uk/disordersuspects/

In addition Flickr is hosting the same photos so that the public have as many opportunities as possible to help the MPS identify those who committed violent and criminal acts on London's streets.

The link is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/metropolita...267892973/

If anyone recognises individuals in the photographs or has any information about the violence and disorder that has occurred they should contact the Major Investigation Team on 020 8345 4142. Alternatively anyone can report crime and provide information anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Tinkerbell

09-08-2011 10:41 PM

Well, now that Eltham is being defended by Millway fans, and the Blackheath Tories are holding a vigil at the Railway Tavern, perhaps we could get Andy Coulson to sit outside Horniman's Museum and watch out for any thugs there? Just a thought. Oops, here comes the helicopter again...

FHSoc

10-08-2011 06:23 AM

The Met have published further advice for businesses (and residents). This can be viewed online at [url= http://content.met.police.uk/News/Update...5756]their website[/url]

FHSoc

10-08-2011 06:26 AM

Apologies for formatting, but the link works.
Just in case you're confused, here it is again: http://content.met.police.uk/News/Update...7246745756

FHSoc

10-08-2011 07:36 AM

Another update from the police

Quote:
Overnight update - 7am 10th August 2011.

Last night London did not see the levels of disorder we saw the previous night. Large numbers of officers on the streets prevented incidents occurring.

The MPS has had the largest policing operation since the start of the disorder. Mutual aid was received from 26 forces across the country. 16,000 officers were deployed over the last 24hrs.

We will continue with similar numbers of officers on the streets of London tonight. This will be reviewed on a daily basis.

The Metropolitan Police Service has now arrested a total of 770 people in connection with violence, disorder and looting. So far 171 people have been charged for a range of offences and we have already started to place people before the courts. 109 prisoners will have been processed through courts overnight. 40 of these have been remanded in custody to appear at Crown Court. 25 of the 109 were juveniles aged 11-15yrs.

The MPS released 20 CCTV images of wanted people. Following this appeal we have already begun to identify the individuals.

A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of starting the large fire at a furniture store in Croydon. The family-run House of Reeves business was burnt down on Monday evening.

Those involved in criminality should be under no illusion that we will pursue you. We have been making arrests all evening and have a team working during the night examining CCTV images. We will follow up evidence in the coming days in order to bring anyone else responsible for criminal acts to justice.

Officers and staff continue to work long hours at short notice in very challenging circumstances.

We continue to have the plans and resources in place to respond to any further disorder, deal with normal policing across the city and keep Londoners safe.

At 1500 hours today, Commander Rodhouse will be chairing a meeting hosted by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. The purpose of the meeting is to expand on discussions from a previous meeting with business leaders, as well as seeking feedback on the measures that have been implemented so far. In attendance will be senior representatives from business groups including the Business Retail Consortium, Association of British Insurers, CBI and British Chamber of Commerce, along with Mark Prisk MP, Minster of State for Business and Enterprise, and representatives from London Councils, the Greater London Authority and the Metropolitan Police Authority.

Sherwood

10-08-2011 08:08 AM

My neighbour is a teacher. He tells me he can recognise some of the rioters from the days he taught them. We think it will not be long before they are behind bars!
also a witness said he saw them taking looted goods home and coming back for more. Presumably they were mostly local rioters!

Londondrz

10-08-2011 01:19 PM

1St person in front of the courst was a 31 year old teacher. Good example to set for the kids then!!

brian

10-08-2011 01:41 PM

Prison.
One convicted looter got 1 day in prison. As served he was released. What a joke. I could not believe it what a complete and utter waste of time.
Scum rule.

Full marks to Turkish community who are prepared to defend their shops and homes.

sandy

10-08-2011 02:39 PM

He was described as a 'primary school worker'. This means he is probably not a teacher.

BT

10-08-2011 04:38 PM

Teaching assistant is what I heard on the News

brian

10-08-2011 04:40 PM

I trust as well as a long custodial sentance he gets the sack.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields