SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Riots in London
Poppy9560

08-08-2011 06:29 PM

just tried to go to Lewisham Sainsburys - bah! it has taken me 2 hours to get home. I feel so sorry for the poor shopkeepers involved - this is our community these mindless thugs are destroying Unsure
i really don't understand the mindset of people who go out with the sole intent of destruction - I saw lots of young boys in Lewisham putting hoods up and scarves over their faces - the poor children trying to get home must have been terrirfied

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

08-08-2011 06:33 PM

I agree Scorpion. They are destroying the jobs and homes of Londoners.
I have heard even public school pupils are involved , hardly the poor.

I appreciate your comments about bad people but there seem to be too many of them at this time.

At least the MET will have a good argument now for not reducing their numbers ( I agreed with most other cuts but worried about this one )

Could they not at least use tear gas or similar products.

Scorpion

08-08-2011 06:51 PM

I totally agree Brian - far too many bad people, and, sadly, its been this way for a long, long time (since forever probably but in recent years more publicity means we hear more of what goes on)

Obviously trouble-makers are playing a big part here (hooded, looting, throwing missiles etc. calling others on their mobile phones - all of that stuff points to pre-meditated)

Harsher punishments/sentences are needed for certain first-time offenders, for sure and no early releases and less pussy-footing around the human rights of prisoners who have commited far worse offences PLUS, more police presence etc. on our streets (cuts?! Gawd no! We need more!) PLUS responsibility & acceptance by parents (for the children they have given birth too) for what their children are doing (or not) and, probably schools, as to how young people are managed or not! - this is a BIG ISSUE and far too much to go into now but .....
.......... along with so many others, I am shocked, sickened (again, as I saw Blackwater unfold in the media, before and also I was a young person and lived very close by when the Brixton riots went on) and feel very depressed at these latest sad events.

Thinking of all involved & wishing them safe
Sue

Scorpion

08-08-2011 06:58 PM

Broadwater - apologies, for making a terrible (un-intentionable) mistake and calling the Broadwater atrocities Blackwater.... brain fart :*(

Sue

Poppy9560

08-08-2011 07:09 PM

i think that was a freudian slip scorpion Cool

Scorpion

08-08-2011 08:04 PM

Was actually thinking of somewhere I knew called Blackwater Farm, so just a "brain-slip" actually - oh gawd, now Croydon, this is so heart-breaking Sad

Just phoned 2 of my sons (living in Clapham and Croydon but could have been anywhere) to make sure they were ok, which they are. One reported seeing a fire in the distance and helicopters overhead and I have just seen TV reports and told him to watch out.

Absolutely unbelievable that this is happening.

There are ways and means of doing things; the people who are causing this are not caring who or what they hurt or affect Sad

roz

08-08-2011 08:11 PM

And we all thought our next attack would be courtesy of Aj Qaeda. And it turns out we're doing a better job of that ourselves. I feel as sad for London now as I did that day, but still proud to be a Londoner.

It does sound that this is another de Menezes situation but no doubt all will be clarified in due course so until it does we really need to keep an open mind.
The former partner of Mark Duggan spoke this evening about it all. There is no way she is condoning what is happening. Whatever the truth about Mark Duggan, these people have taken over his life and death for their own mysterious and worrying purposes.

And why are all these fires blazing with nothing putting it out? Currently watching a building alight in Croydon which has spread to adjacent buildings with no attendance from the fire brigade, the same with the building next to Greggs in Peckham.

Applespider

08-08-2011 08:29 PM

Because the morons setting things alight will also attack the fire engines and crews so the police won't let the fire brigade through until they can clear the area.

The Peckham building took about 15 minutes from watching the 'live' coverage to seeing the fire brigade spraying water. You could see the police marching down the street to the next junction to clear an area for the firefighters to work. You then saw the firefighters try to enter the back of the building to ensure there was no-one trapped.

Several of the TV stations though are continuing to show the earlier pictures (still with the LIVE alongside) of the fire before the brigade got there.

But your first point re Al Qaeda is very sadly true. I feel more nervous about going out and heading home tomorrow evening than I ever did post 7/7. Would really like to knock the heads together of some of these hooded muppets.

rbmartin

08-08-2011 08:29 PM

BBC Radio London had a caller about 5 mins ago reporting that looting has happened on Lordship Lane at the ED end.

Applespider

08-08-2011 08:37 PM

EDF had a report that people were at the garage at Goose Green (ED station now closed) and trying to get into the Londis on LL

roz

08-08-2011 08:46 PM

Are there thousands of people on the streets in central Croydon preventing the fire brigade getting access? I don't see that. Presumably its just so stretched that there is no way that the emergency services can get to fires in time and things have to be prioritised. Which in itself is extremely worrying as what happens if theres an 'ordinary' emergency ie a house fire and all resources are attending these, or you can't get an ambulance as they can't do down certain streets. There will also be tragedies occurring here.

I still can't believe all of this is happening- its like a bad dream.

Scorpion

08-08-2011 08:55 PM

Oh, now it's in Clapham too, so I have to worry about both my eldest sons Sad

What on earth is going on?!

I am so lucky that both of my sons are safe - sadly though, watching this destruction on TV (and hoping they don't get affected - one actually showed us via Skype, the burning buildings in the distance, in Croydon) My other son is watching TV News with me - shocked, as I am.
It seems though that many other young men (and women) are currently out on the streets looting, burning etc?

Sad, so sad Sad

Sue

michael

08-08-2011 09:01 PM

Reports on Twitter that Sydenham Sainsburys in Bell Green is being looted.

Keep safe tonight.

Scorpion

08-08-2011 09:27 PM

Echoing Michael's sentiment and hope all keep well plus those in all other local AND further areas.

Birmingham (mentioned earlier) - hmm, definitely not local protestation - oh, well, I could "go on" but what is the point? Sad

Really feeling for the emergency services (and general police - not their fault they cannot be there) plus the hospitals who may end up overwhelmed.

I am happy to (currently) be outside the affected areas but, to be honest, am worn out through sadness and disappointment in the human race Crying
Been watching the news since about 6pm and done nothing much else

Blink

Sue

Tinkerbell

08-08-2011 09:28 PM

Can I just say a big thank you to a certain little convenience store in Crofton Park that stayed open this eve, defiantly, and greeted all his customers with a smile? Cheers! Oh, and that nice warm olive bread is delicious, too.

On a more serious note - yes there are hooded Muppets organising the crowds but what worries me most is that a large number of them are actually school-age kids. On their school holidays, it seems. Going in there to get that pair of trainers from JD Sports. What a sad state of affairs is this, if we can't even prevent kids from doing this? It is despicable behaviour, but it does make me wonder.

Tinkerbell

08-08-2011 09:33 PM

Ps. LOur neighbours at Brockley Central have got some decent coverage of events nearby. http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/

TND

08-08-2011 09:46 PM

Lots of shops etc have had their windows smashed on Lordship Lane and people (gangs) are now gathering outside FH station. Just had a text from a friend who's trying to get in contact with the police about it. Be careful people.

jay25

08-08-2011 10:00 PM

Does any one know if shops in forest hill are ok ? Have a business there but am away from the area at mo,

PVP

08-08-2011 10:06 PM

I've just come from the station on the Perry vale side and all quiet but there was a slight smell of burning in the air. I hope everyone is safe.

My tuppence, yes this is mindless criminal violence in the immediate sense. But a whole strata of society does not suddenly become criminally minded. As a society we have abandoned a significant minority to a life of c**p without hope - it's about jobs, expectations, social welfare, feeling part of the greater whole. The fact is these people do not and that is a direct consequence of the neglect of society as a whole. Lots of money for bankers and war but none for community and youth groups, jobs, education and training.

Let's get to the root causes, not focus on the catalyst.

Mattfh

08-08-2011 10:13 PM

Somebody on twitter saying Forest Hill Maplins in being looted at the moment. (eg unconfirmed).

https://twitter.com/msvmoreno/status/100688472146329600

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields