SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »
Riots in London
orange

12-08-2011 11:53 AM

Hi,
just to let you know that there are some epetitions on the subject on the government epetition website. If you like to sign on the riots or any other subject, please review.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Triangle

12-08-2011 01:05 PM

I'd like to see some sort of legislation introduced whereby if you are found guilty of a crime then you automatically lose any rights that you previously had. That would provide a baseline - and the state would then decide what you are entitled to while serving your sentence - and that would depend on the severity of the crime. I see no point in placing someone in prison for trashing someone else's home and property and then permitting them to have in prison the very things they've just trashed. Prison should not appear to be a home from home, it should represent a proper punishment and be a place you should never ever want to return to. Like everything else, it's been watered down to the point where it's now no longer seen to be a true deterrent.

brian

12-08-2011 01:08 PM

Well said.

notstoppin

15-08-2011 03:26 PM

"Prison should not appear to be a home from home, it should represent a proper punishment and be a place you should never ever want to return to. Like everything else, it's been watered down to the point where it's now no longer seen to be a true deterrent."

Since they both know so much about prison life, can we assume that Triangle and Brian are old lags? Or have they acquired their deep and insightful knowedge of the English penal system from the pages of the Daily Mail? I have worked in prisons on and off for the past thirty-five years; conditions and regimes are better in some than in others but, in my experience, the vast majority are overcrowded, insanitary places in which bullying and violence are rife and the weakest quickly go to the wall. Doubtless, there are some who think that such conditions are exactly what the inmates deserve but even they have no excuse for perpetuating the 'holiday camp' myth beloved of the tabloids.

brian

15-08-2011 03:57 PM

Appreciate your knowledge from working in prisions. But when they talk about drug free wings , what does that tell you.

Londondrz

15-08-2011 06:09 PM

I think we should set the foxes on the rioters.

notstoppin

17-08-2011 08:48 PM

"Appreciate your knowledge from working in prisions. But when they talk about drug free wings , what does that tell you."

It tells me that prison security is lax. It is not uncommon for vulnerable people to leave prison with a drug habit they did not have when they were imprisoned.

notstoppin

17-08-2011 08:50 PM

"I think we should set the foxes on the rioters."

As long as it's not Liam Fox. That would constitute 'a cruel and unusual punishment' and would therefore convene the Human Rights Act.

FHSoc

20-08-2011 08:16 AM

The Met are still publishing regular updates for businesses affected by the riots. These can be checked at http://content.met.police.uk/News/Update...7246745756

Grants are available to help any business owners whose businesses were directly affected by the riots. See below.

Quote:
Government Support Scheme for small and medium sized businesses - Update

Small and medium sized businesses (SMEs) affected by the recent public disorders can now benefit from a new £20 million High Street Support Scheme.

The Government is making the funding available through local authorities to help SMEs and high streets get back on their feet following the disturbances.

The scheme will support businesses facing cash flow problems whilst they wait for insurance or other claims to be met. It will also help companies with non-refundable exceptional business expenses, and aims to help rebuild business confidence in affected areas.

To qualify for this support, businesses must:

• be small or medium sized enterprises i.e. independents with less than 250 employees worldwide and an annual turnover of less than £11.2 million
• have been based in an area affected by recent disorder between 6-11 August, and
• have suffered losses as a direct result.

Businesses should contact their local authority to make a claim. More detailed information about the High Street Support Scheme and other help for businesses is available at businesslink.gov.uk

The Communities and Local Government website also has details of the support packages being made available for businesses:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/newsroom/1964311

DKZ

22-08-2011 05:17 PM

This was my very scary night on the Monday trying to get home via a burning Peckham. I posted it on the South East Central forum:

http://www.southeastcentral.co.uk/thread...count.709/

hillsideresident

24-08-2011 02:43 PM

I'm bit surprised that no-one has replied to DKZ's very relevant post. Something really interesting, and no response!

I expect I am speaking for quite a few people on this forum when I say how shocked I was by his account, and very glad that he got home OK.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields