SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Open University fee changes
roz

07-08-2011 09:38 PM

It was only a matter of time, but the recent government changes to funding has meant a significant hike in fees. This link explains everything. However current students are protected under transitional arrangments.

A course worth 60 points generally cost £700- in 2012 it will cost £2500. Something to think about if like me you are working and considering doing another qualification on an easy going basis over a few years or so. It will make an OU degree cost £10k.

We really never had it so good. Until now.

http://www8.open.ac.uk/study/explained/f...y-studying

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

07-08-2011 09:48 PM

Sorry, bad maths! It will cost £15k for an average degree course from Sept 2012. Currently its £4k which can be spread over the several years it takes to do the modules so it can work out quite cost effectively. For anyone interested it might be worthwhile enrolling now so that the fees stay the same.

Personally I think this will be the end for the OU as many people do it out of personal interest and gradual career development whilst working in some other fields and £15k is not something that someone with a mortgage/ rent and family committments will justify spending very easily.

Iain

08-08-2011 09:24 PM

However, you will now be able to get a loan for the fees if you do not already have a degree level qualification. These are only paid back once you earn over £25k, and at a low rate (eg earning £25k you can expect to pay back around £15 per month). Currently as a part time student loans aren't available, so part time study will still be possible, and OU will be one of most competitive price wise.

roz

08-08-2011 09:38 PM

Is £15k a reasonable fee? Its 3 times the current fee level.

You could always get student loans - I had one about 20 years ago for a Masters. I still see this as putting a lot of people off who would otherwise further their education.

tinyem

09-08-2011 03:06 PM

Sadly all institutions will be putting their prices up due to the loss of government funding. The Open University will still be one of the more cost effective ways of getting a degree.

I am an Associate Lecturer for the Open University in addition to my day job. Sadly we aren't getting a pay rise! Thankfully I do it for love not money.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Emma

roz

10-08-2011 09:33 PM

It may be cost effective but I do think a lot of people use it to get additional qualifications to change career, and even out of interest, and I still don't think they would pay £15k. Its completely disproportionate. Its also a real shame as so many of the courses are worth doing out of interest but not at £2400 as opposed to £700. Presumably the OU will now be trying to target undergraduates as their main market?

I did a self financing masters some years ago and felt very cheated by the attitude of some of the staff who cancelled lectures and did not fully appreciate that that was actually something I was personally paying for!

billham

11-08-2011 05:49 PM

I have been doing some OU courses for the last couple of years, not with any intention of changing career or anything (I am 55 and realistic) but just to keep the grey matter active as I work from home for the day job, which is intellectually undemanding. My course this year cost over £1000 because it included a residential week on top of the £700ish it usually costs for a 60 point course. I thought long and hard over that before deciding to continue. I don't qualify for any subsidy/loan and don't expect any assistance for what is after all something I am doing purely out of interest.

The new rate of £5000 per annum is based pro rata on 120 points so my current course would now cost close to £3000 assuming the residential element still adds a premium. Fortunately I will be protected by the transitional arrangements if I keep studying. There is however no way I could justify paying the new rates and I think it will completely change the nature of the OU.

I have seen comments of the OU being 'good value' when compared to full time university study at £9000 a year. I don't really think that is a valid comparison and £2500 for a couple of text books, marking half a dozen assignments and a running a few (optional) tutorials frankly doesn't really look good value to me.

I know that things are tough and difficult decisions had to be made. However I do wonder what effect the rates will have on new students starting OU courses.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields