SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Tetra base station near Horniman School
NJD

02-08-2011 04:08 PM

Hi - I wondered if anyone knew anything about the Tetra base station near Horniman School (the big mast).

I've been looking online to find out about whether there were any consultations about it or information about its safety but can't find anything.

We are thinking of moving very near to it and so I'd appreciate it if anyone had any official info that would reassure us or could point us in the right direction of finding out more. I'm surprised they were allowed to position it so near a primary school.

thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

02-08-2011 05:11 PM

I think the mast was there way before the school.What are your concernes given we live near three of the highest masts in the UK?

NJD

02-08-2011 05:38 PM

It's use was switched in 2010 to Tetra which is a new technology used by the police for communications. No studies on its long term health effects have been done. I'm not concerned about mobile phone masts but this is very different. I just want to find out whether a consultation took place, what the outcomes were and where I can find reassurance about its effect on people nearby.

michael

02-08-2011 05:55 PM

Information from the local residents association, which fought a long campaign regarding TETRA can be found at http://www.tewkesburylodge.org.uk/tetra.htm

If you want to read all the scare stories they can be found at http://www.tetrawatch.net/tetra/index.php

NJD

02-08-2011 06:59 PM

Thanks. Having read through it seems that the association agreed to Tetra replacing the previous system because they felt that it was safer.

I'm interested to find out what levels of microwave emissions were agreed. Having looked through the planning applications on Lewisham Council website there have been two further installations of microwave dishes on the mast in 2009 and 2010 which seem to have gone through without objection.

I'm not one to be taken in by scare stories but I do think it's wise to know what emission levels have been agreed because it's such new technology and it should be monitored. Especially near a school.

I'm also interested to know what persuaded people that Tetra was going to be safer than the existing system?

I'm not knocking the Tewkesbury Lodge campaign - I wasn't here and so that would be unfair - I just want to know what the current situation is.

Thanks all

andrewr

03-08-2011 09:14 PM

I was involved in the TETRA campaign with the Residents' Association. There are, or were, scare stories about TETRA handsets relating to the frequency of the burst nature of their emissions. When I learned that, in order to operate efficiently, the base stations operate on a steady level of transmitter power filling empty time with garbage and do not exhibit bursts in their emissions, I was convinced that even if there was some (unproven) problem with handsets, it would not apply to base stations.

The TETRA system drastically reduced the power of transmissions compared to the earlier analogue systems. I don't have the figures to hand but I seem to recall that they would be around one hundredth of the previous intensity. Unless you are within a metre or two of the transmitter (which you can't be unless you climb the mast) any transmissions from the site will be totally drowned out by Crystal Palace which has an emitter power of around 1 MegaWatt. Much more likely that this will have an adverse effect on local residents than the TETRA base station - but I've never heard of any concerns.

Parents should probably be much more concerned about their children's use of mobile phones (with aerials millimetres from their immature brains) than from transmitters 50 metres or more distant.

Londondrz

04-08-2011 07:34 AM

Hurrah, a factual responseThumbsup

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Horniman Primary School AleAle 1 2,963 29-10-2021 07:44 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman School - no bulge class michael 21 23,581 15-04-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: orangeone
  Horniman Primary School Place 2011/2012 mons 30 35,003 08-05-2011 09:11 PM
Last Post: Satchers
  Nearly New Sale - Horniman Primary School, Forest Hill BakingMummy 5 9,153 16-10-2010 09:39 AM
Last Post: BakingMummy
  Horniman Primary School Table Top Sale 28.3.09 Katie H-M 0 3,823 25-03-2009 06:53 AM
Last Post: Katie H-M
  Horniman Primary School Westwood Bear 2 6,592 04-03-2009 07:46 PM
Last Post: annsquire66