SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
habibi
nevermodern

10-12-2007 10:45 PM

Just noticed signs in the cafe next to Yune on Dartmouth Road that a Middle Eastern cafe is going to be based there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 7pm to 11pm, fully licensed, called Habibi. The menu sounds interesting (although warning: for the faint of font, a small amount of flourescent cardboard has been involved in the signage).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PVP

11-12-2007 09:13 AM

This should make a good addition to the area - we are woefully underrepresented in arabic food! Any idea when it opens?

(although I can manage a few dishes myself from time to time)

Baboonery

11-12-2007 10:04 AM

pvp wrote:
This should make a good addition to the area - we are woefully underrepresented in arabic food! Any idea when it opens?

(although I can manage a few dishes myself from time to time)

Been wondering what would happen there once they got that licence. Fried pigs by day, middle-eastern by night...

nevermodern

12-12-2007 06:38 PM

From Urban Dictionary -

habibi:

"A famous Arabic word common between classical and spoken used in most of Arab countries. Habibi is either a friend, a boy/girl friend, husband or wife, a relative, or a familiar person to you whom you like in different way."

PVP

13-12-2007 02:21 PM

Habibi is a general word when you want to address someone in an affectionate way, be it relationship, family, friend, etc.

nevermodern

13-12-2007 02:24 PM

I do feel the love for my kebab on the way home from the pub on a Friday night Smile

nevermodern

31-01-2008 10:38 AM

Apparently, this is opening tonight - 31st January. Smile

millesens

31-01-2008 10:52 AM

I stopped outside the cafe yesterday, read the new menu and had a look inside. They haven't done any major work to the interior so it does not look like a restaurant at all. No atmosphere as far as I can tell for an evening outing venue. If the food is of superb quality they may get away with it. Anyway the cafe is always full during the day. Good luck to them.

Dylan

18-02-2008 05:10 PM

tried Habbibi last Friday food was excellent Sea Bass, Meatballs
Calamari very interesting Menu - it just needs more people in there to give it atmostsphere - i understand they also do takaways
prices reasonable, good value if you go in for sharing lots of dishes!

Mrjamon

18-02-2008 06:00 PM

Habibi food was on the specials today in the cafe.
Kleftico was the name of the dish if I remember correctly.
Succulent lamb on the bone with rice. Delicious.

Decor definately needs seeing to for an evening restaurant though.

christianna

27-02-2008 12:42 PM

Went last Thursday with 3 friends-had lovely food -with starters, wine and main course cost including service(optional and only 10%!!)only ?22 each.! Generous portions, good selection of starters and really tender lamb for me1 Everyone else enjoyed their selection.

Lovely, friendly service but a little slow but not in a hurry so no problem.

Only draw back was the choice of red wine-one only and it was Pait D'or but assured there will be greek wine available next time. Seems another table had drunk all their stock. As they have only just launched this culinary adventure I guess they are not going to have a massive stock of wines on the shelf.

Will go again soon I am sure!

With support this could be become a reasonably priced permanent addition to eating out in Forest Hill. Hope so!

Jane

28-02-2008 01:05 PM

Is it possible to take your own wine and pay corkage? Piat d'Or not something I would choose to drink and as for Greek wine....

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields