SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Supporting football in the area
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 10:27 PM

Post from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baggydave
Joined 19-05-2004
Posted on Friday, 12 October, 2007 - 05:40 pm:

Whilst we have no professional or semi-pro football teams in the area, we do have them within a few miles.

So why why why do so few of you support your local teams (Millwall, Palace and Charlton, with a soft spot of course for Dulwich Hamlet).

No doubt the opening of Forest Hill Centraal will herald even more Man U, Chels, Arsenal and Liverpool fans (with of course Ajax).

And please no nonsense about Woolwich Arsenal.

PS if anyone spots Neil Warnock in the area can they tip me off, as I am afraid, very afraid....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigjulie

20-10-2007 08:04 PM

and of course Bromley are doing very well in the Blue Square South league (the first time they have played at this level) even with maverick ex Palace owner Mark Goldberg as manager. They are 2 promotions away from league 2.
Warnock was spotted about half a mile away from SE23 at the Palace training ground just off Worsley Bridge Road - I saw him on Sky Sports News.

Toffeejim

21-10-2007 10:47 AM

Excellent post Bagster. If I had the ability to introduce any one law into Parliament it would be the Football Supporters (Proximity to Birthplace) Bill. It would impose strict financial penalties on any person supporting a club that was not within thirty miles of their birthplace or an area where thery had lived for over half their lives. There would probably need to be a closer geographical requirement for those born in London. Tickets for watching matches would be triple the cost than for a local supporter as would subscribing to the game on cable or satellite providers. The extra money raised would then be redistributed to the nearest team to the supporter's birthplace. I wonder if there would be any popular support for this idea. I think it would be an excellent tonic for bolstering local community spirit in the long term.

baggydave

21-10-2007 10:33 PM

Umm this is an SE23 thread, so why is it not on the main site. And why is beer ?3 a pint in the Dolphin (an SE23 question as this had been addressed at James (not the cheeky 80s 90s bands but the 2 James that run the YOHO, this appear to have been lost in the Great Leap Forward)

baggydave

21-10-2007 10:37 PM

Why are removals companies advertising on this thread. Why not that new cable TV Santana, which advertises that you will see more of the 'top 4' premier teams on the telly, ideal for those aspiring to Forest Hill Centraal. Oh good weekend for SE23 with all four of our teams winning (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manu)

baggydave

21-10-2007 10:42 PM

Oh, and thank you TJ for your support, you may also like to write to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen - although no doubt with all the early references to L18 and the like in his first album he will support his local non league team, South Liverpool. And of course you know those Birkenhead boys Half Man Half Rolf Harris once refused Top of the Pops, even with and offer of a helicopter ride, as Tranmere were playing at home that night. Now there is passion you Southern softies.

Toffeejim

21-10-2007 11:14 PM

Actually they refused The Tube. Or have I just unwittingly provided the feedline for a transport-related gag?

Johnc

22-10-2007 09:09 AM

More of a Rugby man myself, frequenting Blackheath. Its the beer that swings it. being able to take a 4 pint jug of IPA onto the terraces gets my vote over footie every time

baggydave

22-11-2007 11:32 PM

More interesting than the thread about foreign plumbers

brian

25-11-2007 06:50 PM

I agree. Have always supported Palace. When visiting local bookshops however it is Arsenal , Man U etc which are on display

baggydave

01-12-2007 09:11 PM

Well done to Brian, and well done to Palace today. A truly remarkable result.

Baggy Dave, championing the ordinary guy

Baboonery

03-12-2007 10:42 AM

BD, your posts have filled me with such guilt at continuing to support the team with which I was brought up and which played less than a mile from my parental home that I have made a decision. I will abandon my shameful affinity towards the club from the town where I spent the first 20 years of my life, and henceforth support the best team playing in SE23. Crystal Palace, Millwall, Dulwich Hamlet, Bromley? Bah, outsiders.

If anyone can tell me who they are, I'll be along with my rattle, and I'll get my mum to knit me a scarf in their colours, once I find out what they are. I can no longer live with the shame.

baggydave

03-12-2007 08:40 PM

Good, Baboonery, I am glad you have seen the light. Now we have to work on all the 1000s of others. Will you join me and Brian in a picket on a Saturday redirecting people in the right direction when they get to London Bridge and forget to turn East to the Valley or Den, or forcefully turn them around to go South to Selhurst Park.

Hopefully you will also join me for a petition to play matches on a Saturday, stop playing in away kits for no good reason, banning that Tom Harke/pigbag song, returning to pies, pints woodbines and tea served in large metal tea pots etc etc.

BD's mother knitted him a scarf when we were on the way down in a steam train for a day special to London in the early 70s. Unfortunately she ran out of navy wool so it was a little lopsided. If only I had kept it. And the nylon football shirt.

BD - preserving what was good in life

baggydave

03-12-2007 08:43 PM

Oh and as well as TJ's most excellent proposal, following the fascinating proposal on the other thread, we could also introduce laws that one would have their leg cut off, as a detterent to others, if they failed to follow the team nearest to their birthplace.

BD, I'd like to teach the world to sing

Perryman

04-12-2007 01:35 PM

Perhaps people's birth certificates should be stamped with team they are allowed to support.

Send the details on a couple of CDs to all clubs, so they can turn away any plastic fans.
Plus the extra details on the discs will make the routine administration of collecting the right fees from real fan's accounts so much easier.

But what do we do with Wimbledon fans? Sending them up to Milton Keynes every other week seems very cruel.

Baboonery

04-12-2007 04:52 PM

Perryman wrote:
Perhaps people's birth certificates should be stamped with team they are allowed to support.

Send the details on a couple of CDs to all clubs, so they can turn away any plastic fans.
Plus the extra details on the discs will make the routine administration of collecting the right fees from real fan's accounts so much easier.

But what do we do with Wimbledon fans? Sending them up to Milton Keynes every other week seems very cruel.

I grew up about 200 yards nearer to Goodison than Anfield. It's been nice knowing you. Do I get to choose the manner of my execution?

baggydave

04-12-2007 08:34 PM

Three of four pubs close to the ground, at least one of them very hospitable to away fans (although the stadium is pretty decrepit - and even more things in your way than Selhurst Pk). Isn't there someone else posting on this thread with a similar taste?

BD, aways a balanced argument

Toffeejim

04-12-2007 11:49 PM

Perryman wrote:

Turning away from south London issues for a moment this would certainly spell the end of all those 'great European nights' at anfield. And what a relief that would be to the rest of the country. Not to mention all the wifes and kids in Cornwall and Norway who'll have their menfolk at home for a change.

baggydave

05-12-2007 12:08 AM

Norway - so that is where Hans Segars is from (a poor SE London reference I am afraid)

For the uninformed you can see: /www.toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/editorial/article.asp?submissionID=3961
or http://www.football-england.com/everton_..._1994.html

Baboonery

05-12-2007 11:35 AM

Toffeejim wrote:

Perryman wrote:

Turning away from south London issues for a moment this would certainly spell the end of all those 'great European nights' at anfield. And what a relief that would be to the rest of the country. Not to mention all the wifes and kids in Cornwall and Norway who'll have their menfolk at home for a change.

Ah, this is the L4 forum now, is it? I particularly liked the way 750,000 Norwegians turned out the day after we won our fifth European cup. Yet strangely the hotels reported to be not much busier than usual.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields