SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
robbrockley

04-11-2013 09:45 PM

Why would anyone think a landlord who has invested in property for purely commercial reasons, would want to take into account what a community may want? Indeed why would any landlord be 'sharing their vision' with a local community? They aren't a charity, they aren't a part of the community and they aren't going to be told what to do. The landlord did have an 'anchor' tenant - Domino's Pizza - which the community decided was not our sort of thing and rejected. The building would have been occupied for a couple of years now and it might have brought in other tenants.

The Old Bank is a funny sight and might be better split back into two units. It certainly never worked as a restaurant - partly because of poor food. All those who want it to be a pub must see something I can't; it will be small and a funny shape. And we have Hopscotch virtually next door selling alcohol, and Stone Bar and Donde - how many more do we want. Although none of those are to my taste, I will admit.

What will become of it? Well empty for a while longer I think. It will need a very brave entrepreneur to take it on with a really good business idea. I can't think of one. A fashionable relevant clothes store? A really good original gift shop? A quality wine merchants? A greengrocers, with organic produce? A brilliant florist? A high quality home decorating store? Just not another crappy supermarket/newsagents/ estate agents/cheap and nasty cafe.

Find all posts by this user
kemamira

04-11-2013 10:00 PM

I hear what you're saying robbrockley and yes there is no commercial reason to involve the community and that's why it's so irritating.

I don't know what the answer is and yes, I too do not think it will be resolved soon which is what makes me so angry.

And having looked at your tweet to Wilmots, BarCar, although I appreciate your efforts I can't imagine you'll get any response having seen the vacuous, irrelevant, off-topic tweets they are posting: https://twitter.com/Willmotts1856

BarCar

05-11-2013 02:41 PM

If the landlord/agents won't engage with the community then maybe we should consider listing the Old Bank as an Asset of Community Value in a Neighbourhood Plan:

http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/wp-conte...d-more.pdf

It seems there's enough local interest in the future of the site to warrant considering this. Is anybody familiar with this process? Could it help here?

Tenbybelle

05-11-2013 02:59 PM

This is not really my area but I thought the only real benefit of applying and getting it listed as a community asset would be to provide additional weight against a change of use application.

If we do via that route - surely we just further limit the options of any potential new tenant for the site I presume its A3 at the moment so it could scupper any plans for a pub. It could block residential use but knowing the site I cant really imagine that being considered.

BarCar

05-11-2013 03:29 PM

I guess my concern is that failure to lease as A3 may result in a change of use request for something less desirable like a bookmakers. As I understand it a Neighbourhood Plan would not prevent this outright but would give us a stronger position in being part of the decision.

It seems odd to me that the agents/landlord can't see the benefit of gathering the obvious strong community feeling in their favour. Find out what the community wants and use that to market the property to suitable businesses. Win-win.

Tenbybelle

05-11-2013 03:42 PM

I would be very surprised that they really care what the community wants.

We would probably want a great independant business to take on the lease but they just want a well known tenant who can take on the property and guarantee the rent for the term of the lease.

I understood the parade was owned by London & District property developers. Their business model isn't to develop the parade but to make money from it when they decide to sell.

The cynic in me thinks by us all being so vocal about what we like or dont like we are probably hindering its development. If a few more well known tenants do move in - they may finally decide to sell it it on and we may finally get a decent owner for the parade who actually does give a damn.

God that is depressing.

T

Mattya

05-11-2013 08:23 PM

The only relevant comment I can add to the prospects for local businesses is that it's the World Cup next year and all of the games are being held either late afternoon or early evening.

I can imagine the local pubs will probably do OK out of the timing of these matches.

Tinkerbell

05-11-2013 09:16 PM

robbrockley, we already have a a pretty good gift shop. Ditto florist. And selling alcohol does not equate to being a pub/restaurant. And the Old Bank used to be a pretty decent restaurant at one stage actually, but things went downhill in its last two years of existence. That is certainly no reason why it couldn't work again as a restaurant - it's in an ideal location. But with the interiors being in the state they are, and the landlord's rental expectations as inflated as they are, nothing is likely to change indeed.

And what sort of other tenants would the 'anchor tenant Domino's', a delivery only business with lots of mopeds and peak working hours in the evening have been likely to attract? Taking a look at the neighbouring tenants of Domino's elsewhere in SE London (Betfred being the only neighbouring business at their Greenwich hub, whilst there are none in East Dulwich, and in Catford it's only neighbour is the Holy Cross Charity Shop) I very much doubt they would have brought attractive businesses.

This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 09:20 PM by Tinkerbell.

Codrington Brill

05-11-2013 10:49 PM

"Why would anyone think a landlord who has invested in property for purely commercial reasons, would want to take into account what a community may want?"

If the landlord has that attitude I'm not surprised it's empty. They should attract a business that people want. The layout is a secondary issue. [/i]

BarCar

06-11-2013 08:42 PM

Response from Willmotts today on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Willmotts1856/status...938473985:

Quote:
By way of an update, there are two interested parties and the owners are evaluating the offers received.

I've asked them if they can clarify that the offers will retain A3 food & drink status.

Anotherjohn

19-11-2013 02:06 PM

Looks like the OLD BANK isn't up for grabs any longer...

http://acorncommercial.co.uk/property-de...ndon-5602/

Bcm

19-11-2013 07:53 PM

I can't see anything saying let / sale agreed, am I missing something obvious? (Probably!)

Anotherjohn

19-11-2013 08:28 PM
Bcm

19-11-2013 08:40 PM

Aha! I will call Acorn tomorrow and see what info I can garner...

hoona

19-11-2013 10:27 PM

... and so the speculation begins!!

Anotherjohn

20-11-2013 08:40 AM

...again!!!

Sparkles

20-11-2013 12:18 PM

Exciting times in HOP! Any guesses anyone?

Tersie

20-11-2013 12:20 PM

1st strong rumour was the BrewDog brewery pubs but have just found out it is definitely not them. Who knows! Lets hope it is a decent restaurant / bar.

Sparkles

20-11-2013 12:31 PM

Fingers crossed.

The description by Acorn is dire though. Why not mention its ideal location right by the station? And those spelling mistakes are unforgivable!

lacb

20-11-2013 02:45 PM

Indeed.

Yes, spot the copy written in Central London, armed only with Google Streetview.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields