SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
BarCar

18-11-2011 03:40 PM

DNFTT

Find all posts by this user
wayfarer

18-11-2011 03:53 PM

Sadly, I have been unable to locate any meaningful customer numbers for Dominoes.

But let's look at this 30% figure for a moment, and I appreciate that these are huge assumptions:

30% of customers will collect, and they will either drive or walk. For the sake of arguement let's say this is a 50/50 split.

This would give us 15% that walk, if they walk it suggests that they are local and will know about the parade anyway.

If they drive they possibly live a little further a field, and therefore may or may not be aware of the joys of HOP. Let's split this equally again, giving 7.5% of people that have driven and know the area and 7.5% that do not.

We can safely say that most pizzas will be collected at night - Can I say 80/20 split for this one?

This means that 6% of customers will come to the store at night, having driven and without any real knowledge of the area. Now granted coming at night the shops will be closed, and the lights will be off. However, you will still be able to see into the window as you walk past, but my guess is that it probablt won't catch your eye quite as much as it might have done had it been light. I reckon it is probably lightness for the "shopper" to appreciate the full impact of a shop window (say Jumping Bean or the Gallery) 33% of the year.

So we now have 2% of customers, driving to pizzeria night, without any real knowledge of the area yet appreciating what the other stores in the parade have to offer.

Of this 2%, how many will actually get into their cars and drive to HOP to experience what it has to offer? Shall we be generous and say 1 in 5 customers or 0.4%

Mark Twain popularised the expressed, there are "lies, damn lies and statistics" with this in mind I shall apply accepted rounded principles.

So we are left with no customers that have driven at night, without any real knowledge of the area but have appreciated what the other stores in the parade have to offer and have actually taken the trouble to come back for another look.

Laugh

stefan

18-11-2011 04:10 PM

another aspect is safety - whatever business will open there I hope it is a popular business" with late opening times (11pm) so there are always some people around when the last trains pull into Honor Oak

Joffe

18-11-2011 05:38 PM

BarCar, why does having a debate have to be trolling? I'm not posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off- topic messages - I'm just sharing my views and challenging assertions.

I live pretty near the parade and didn't want the bikes. Otherwise I think the area could have benefitted from a Dominos. I don't need you to patronise me just for holding a view.

TTFN

BarCar

18-11-2011 06:17 PM

Let's see... you've described people who objected to the proposal of being snobs, you've personally accused me of being dishonest and misrepresented my reasons for objecting to the proposal. Let's move on and try and avoid ad hominem arguments going forward.

jon14

18-11-2011 10:03 PM

I didn't do either of those things.

Joffe

21-11-2011 01:38 PM

That wasn't my intention BarCar - apologies. Anyway, I nearly got cleared up by a delivery bike yesterday - perhaps no dominos was a good thing after all.

As for a different site, maybe somewhere down Forest Hill Road would be a good place - there seems to be some empty shops near the doctors...? And it's not in SE23.

hellohello

21-11-2011 03:39 PM

Looks like it has been turned down... http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/2011...ected.html

Joffe

21-11-2011 04:08 PM

I'm not 'anonymous' on that comments page by the way.

dbboy

21-11-2011 05:05 PM

yeah, how about further down Honor Oak Park or on Brockley Rise, IMO Dominoes are not needed or wanted on Forest Hil Road.

Although it's in SE22 it is practically on the SE22 / SE23 border. I can't see Sea Masters, the French Cafe or Si Mangia welcoming them somehow.

hopper

21-11-2011 10:29 PM

Something was happening outside the Old Bank today. Walked past at about 13.30 and there was a man standing outside the wood shop taking a photo on a tripod of The Old Bank while someone stood outside the Old Bank holding a tape measure up to the height of the windows.

Either Domino's will have another crack or someone else is interested - let's hope it's the latter.

Redalways

22-11-2011 03:13 PM

Yes apparently Papa Johns are interested Rofl

wayfarer

22-11-2011 03:15 PM

Shame, I was hoping for a nail bar Laugh

Joffe

22-11-2011 04:03 PM

Or a barbers.

Fish Face

22-11-2011 06:30 PM

could do with a decent bookies.

Deano

22-11-2011 07:04 PM

So Dominos will have to get a slice of the action elsewhere? I would like to give the opponents a pizza my mind. How are Dominos supposed to earn a crust when they are prevented from having a base in se23? I hope they don't top themselves. On a serious note, I am quite disappointed that again we are left with an empty unit and yet everyone is congratulating themselves for having prevented a tasty local amenity. I get the feeling that some will only be happy when swampy opens his vegan cafe on the site which shuts at 2pm and is for non motorists only.

Tinkerbell

22-11-2011 10:08 PM

Feel free to offer up a property in your neck of the woods to Snow Domino and the 7 bikes, and see your neighbourhood turn into a truly enchanted pizza wonderland. Good luck with your very own 'tasty local amenity'.

Deano

22-11-2011 10:50 PM

Gladly! Got plenty of dross up our way, a dominos would be a huge improvement. The old spar is now a charity shop and I'd have preferred a Dominos.

nitoda

23-11-2011 12:49 PM

What's really missing is a good old fashioned butcher's - if you look in old photographs there used to be one where Jumping Bean is now, but goodness knows how long ago that was. I go to Peter James on Ewhurst Road for meat and that's quite a distance if you have to walk it. Worth it though for the quality. I bike it now and it seems no distance at all. Smile

Tersie

30-11-2011 08:43 AM

The meeting we had with Dominos last week was interesting. There were two directors present from Dominos, one was the Communications & PR director and the other chap responsible for all new UK openings. We felt that both of them were open and willing to listen to our concerns and suggestions. We made it clear this is not an anti Dominos campaign but the fact the Old Bank is an inappropriate site for a large new opening.

The news is that they have already lodged an appeal with Lewisham Council, which could take up to 6 months. It seems that the final decision may be out all of our hands now, but we are looking into this. Dominos said they appeal against decisions all over the UK all the time and that there is a 65 / 35 chance that we will win this appeal. On a positive note this is the most resistance they have ever come across!! Usually they only get 5-10 against, with this campaign it was coming up to 1000 if we include the petitions! We have proactively suggested a number of empty sites to Dominos in the SE23 and SE22 area. They were open to all suggestions and said they will look at all sites and give us feedback.

In the meantime London & District have put the property back on the market. We have also approached potential landlords, bringing it to their attention that The Old Bank is back on the market. Dominos also told us that if their appeal is turned down and the building is still empty in 6-12 months they could well start the whole process again. They have done this before and won! We informed them they would come up against the same resistance.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields