SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
wayfarer

16-11-2011 10:41 AM

Fantatstic news, congratualtions to all of you that worked so hard to represent the views of the rest of us.

Find all posts by this user
Joffe

16-11-2011 10:55 AM

Can't wait to use the empty shop. Well done everyone!

hoppyvonfrank

16-11-2011 10:55 AM

Agreed, thanks for putting the effort in.

hoppyvonfrank

16-11-2011 10:57 AM

And I'm not agreeing with the previous poster, I think this is a good thing

brian

16-11-2011 11:18 AM

Certainly deserve credit for your effort whether right or wrong. Watch out for appeal.

Wonder how long this shop remains empty until it becomes a chicken shop or 99p shop?

seanieb

16-11-2011 11:32 AM

Brian, did you read the planning department's reasons for rejecting change of usage? Would have thought it extremely unlikely that they're going to give permission for a fried chicken restaurant having turned down a reputable business like Dominos.

michael

16-11-2011 11:38 AM

I also look forward to using the empty shop, when it becomes a pub, a restaurant or another shop that makes a positive contribution to the area and makes best use of this prime location for passing trade rather than a telephone hotline.

I hope that Dominos find another more suitable location in the local area as I am sure there is a market for them in SE23 (not that we are short of pizza deliveries), and there are a number of more suitable empty units which will not meet with the same opposition from local residents. Dominos have a history of challenging local council decisions in such circumstances but I hope that in this case they feel their efforts are better directed elsewhere. This is probably supported by the fact that they never submitted new designs for the frontage after withdrawing their previous application.

brian

16-11-2011 11:39 AM

I agree that is their position now but if after 18 months it is still empty they may decide to get some revenue.
Could Mr Pickles overule ? Lord Prescott was doing it every day.

michael

16-11-2011 11:46 AM

Brian,
Any appeal would go to the planning inspectorate rather than the Secretary of State.

Joffe

16-11-2011 11:57 AM

If dominoes had applied to use the old Honor Oak tandoori they would've met with the same opposition, I'm sure. Seems to me this was HOP residents getting above themselves and saying 'we're too good for a business like you. We want boutiques, we want Delis, we want butchers and bakers'.

HOP must be the only place in Britain at the moment saying 'we don't want jobs, we don't want investment'. Actually, they're saying 'we do want it - we want a bakery - but don't expect us to use it - we'll just let it fade away to be replaced with an.........wait for it.......empty shop...' We had a restaurant there and it failed.

And just think of all the 1 million plus unemployed youths who could've driven one of the motorbikes.

hopper

16-11-2011 12:00 PM

Thanks and well done to the campaign organisers and FHS for making such a good case. Let’s hope this is the end of it and we can get a more suitable business into the premises that won’t cause the same level of disruption and inconvenience as seven pizza delivery bikes and which will ideally remain a restaurant or pub.

BarCar

16-11-2011 12:10 PM

Joffe, I suggest you re-read this thread with your glasses on. This was never about the area being too good for Dominos. Maybe for some, but not for me.

It was about poor design, loss of amenity, traffic and noise with respect to the specific location where they applied for change of use.

I think the success of the other businesses on HOP is testament to the local demand for quality services. The Old Bank and the Honor Oak Tandoori, in part, went out of business because the new landlords would appear to put profit before community and hiked the rents beyond affordability.

Well done to all involved in the campaign.

Joffe

16-11-2011 12:33 PM

Barcar wrote:
I suggest you re-read this thread with your glasses on

Google translate 'I don't agree so let's suggest the person can't read. Always works a treat'.

Barcar wrote:
It was about poor design, loss of amenity, traffic and noise with respect to the specific location where they applied for change of use.

If John Lewis had've been moving into the building, I don't think too many people would've complained about design even if they promised to put their big green signs up. This was at least in part down to the snobbery of HOP residents. As for the specific location, that's because I'm guessing you live round there. But every location is bad for someone.

Loss of amenity, traffic and noise are all 'we deserve better' factors.

Barcar wrote:
The Old Bank and the Honor Oak Tandoori, in part, went out of business because the new landlords would appear to put profit before community and hiked the rents beyond affordability.

In which case new new bar, pub or restaurant willbe able to afford them. Drinks all round!

mrcee

16-11-2011 12:47 PM

Good news, Lets all continue to support the local shops

BarCar

16-11-2011 01:11 PM

We all deserve better - that's what planning policy is there to ensure.

Dominos or John Lewis are perfectly entitled to make an application and I am perfectly entitled to make an objection or support their application as I see fit. If my objections have no relevance in planning law then they will be ignored.

The planning officers would appear to agree with the objectors that this specific application was not in compliance with planning policy.

Call it snobbery if you want. To me it looks like the system working as it is intended.

Bcm

16-11-2011 01:13 PM

The problem was always inappropriate change of use on this site, not an objection to Dominos, though naturally the application will have created negative feelings towards them as an organisation for some residents.

I'm actually still hoping to have a meeting with Dominos next week to propose alternative suitable sites for them - there are several in the area that are appropriate, as they have access to the main road and are similarly spacious, and have been empty for some time. Any additional suggestions for appropriate locations would actually be very helpful.Smile

ruthb

16-11-2011 01:32 PM

wow I am impressed this got rejected, really didn't think it would! Well done to all those who persevered.

ruthb

16-11-2011 01:37 PM

just a thought, but has anyone asked whether the space can be used for a christmas pop-up market one weekend? Or perhaps a sore point with the landlords at the mo... would be a good use of the space in the interim, and encourage more local shopping for the festive season - I know a few local companies who would be interested.

Jane

16-11-2011 01:42 PM

I think someone already suggested it but an excellent location for a Dominoes would be the empty Angle Bar on corner of Brockley Rise and South Circular - plenty of room for bikes and ideal as a take-away/delivery service I would have thought.

Joffe

16-11-2011 01:45 PM

Barcar wrote:
Dominos or John Lewis are perfectly entitled to make an application and I am perfectly entitled to make an objection or support their application as I see fit. If my objections have no relevance in planning law then they will be ignored.

But I wonder, if you're being really honst with yourself, you would've objected in the same way if a desirable shop had made the application and wanted to change the sineage. It's easy to say 'I object to this becasue of poor design', and yet this could be a smokecreen because you don't eat pizza and you look down on the use of pizza takeaways. 'Poor design' would be waived for a worthier business.

I wonder if the planners would object to the 'change of use' if something had strong local support and the businesses was a 'desirable' one for the area to have?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields