SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
mrcee

15-09-2011 02:29 PM

The only other thing worth investigating is noise of the pesky mopeds that will be flying around the area.

The thing about if locals dont use them they wont survive is true for most businesses however dominoes could survive from delivering to new cross, brockley and nunhead so success / failure has little to do with the immediate area but the wider local area.

Find all posts by this user
Tersie

15-09-2011 04:39 PM

What a nightmare....it is a real shame. I did get the feeling I was being fobbed off by their locations manager. But she did say that people were entitled to complain to them. Will post the address in a min.

I think that people who live in Honor Oak can appeal against the planning notification. That is one sure fire sign to show them they are not wanted in the parade.

Tersie

15-09-2011 04:45 PM

PR Department
Head Office
Domino's Pizza Group Limited,
Lasborough Road
Kingston, Milton Keynes
MK10 0AB
01908 580000

Think at the very least if we can't stop the corporate wheels in motion (and the Planning Application) we can voice our concerns about the signage. Michael, the Dalston example you posted would be much better if we end up having a Domino's on the parade, which looks like will happen. I bet the guys in the other independent Pizza place on the parade will be out of business after a while, leaving another empty unit!

Tinkerbell

15-09-2011 05:05 PM

Nope, I'll be getting my thin crust extra cheese and a tub of Haagen Dasz strawberry cheesecake from them on an hourly daily basis, if needs be. They were pretty long during the riots, bet Domino's would have been boarded up and running a mile already when the local guys were still sweating it out at the pizza oven.

Tinkerbell

15-09-2011 05:06 PM

sorry, that was meant to read "open" pretty long...

Bcm

15-09-2011 05:24 PM

I posted a formal objection to the Council today. I have to say the people i spoke to in the planning office were exceptionally helpful:

Quote:
Dear Sirs,

I am writing to formally object to planning application DC/11/78332/X concerning 76-78 Honor Oak Park, London, where Dominos Pizza Group LTD has applied to turn the premises into a Class A5 hot food takeaway unit. The site is a building of historic importance and of particular aesthetic relevance to the area. It is the building first viewed when entering the parade, and has changed very little over the last 120 years. It sets a very positive tone for the area as it stands today. It would be of great detriment to the parade to have this popular Victorian building sullied with gaudy corporate logos, particularly as other recent additions to the parade have tried so hard to gentrify and improve the aesthetics of this part of the area.

Under STC9 of your conditions, take away hot food shops will be granted permission where they satisfy the following principles:

(b) they do not harm the living conditions of nearby residents, including that created by noise and disturbance from users and their vehicles, smell, litter and unneighbourly opening hours; and
© parking and traffic generation is not a danger to other road users, public transport operators or pedestrians.

In addition applicants will be expected to provide acceptable arrangements for:
(d) the efficient and hygienic discharge of fumes and smells, including the siting of ducts - which should be unobtrusive;
(e) the collection, storage and disposal of bulk refuse and customer litter; sound
roofing, especially to living accommodation above; and
(f) the impact on neighbours of the proposed opening hours which will normally be restricted to 8.00 am to 12 midnight in the Major and District Centres and 8.00 am to 11.00 pm in Local Centres and Parades.

76-78 Honor Oak is a large retail unit; presumably Dominos plan to use it as the hub of a relatively large distribution network of scooters covering neighboring areas as well as Honor Oak itself. This will require a sizable fleet of bikes, which will presumably be parked on the pavement. The surrounding area is a residential street, and the noise created by the bikes will be a constant nuisance to residents. Parking in neighboring streets is already in severe constraint due to the adjacent station, to have cars coming and going to collect pizzas will make this problem worse. The installation of large extractors to the rear of the property will generate additional smells and noise for local residents.

Additionally, in URB 8:

The Council will seek to establish and maintain shopfronts of a high design quality by:

(a) retaining shop fronts of quality, either original to the building, or of particular value. If this is not physically possible, the replacement should use appropriate design and materials;
(b) requiring all new shopfronts, including signs, to relate well to the original framework and scale of the building within which they are placed. Existing original fascia and pilasters or columns which form the shop surrounds should be retained or reinstated, including where shop units are combined. Materials should also relate well to the building and be of high quality, the use of timber will be encouraged, and the use of aluminium discouraged. If this is not physically possible, the replacement should be of a sympathetic design and use appropriate materials.

The corporate rebranding of the site will irreparably change the aesthetics of one of the most attractive shop fronts in Honor Oak. The corporate signage of the applicant in nearby areas has not been sympathetic to original architecture, examples of which I can provide on request.

A petition has already been lodged online against the use of this site for a Domino’s Pizza and the application has received a negative reception on the local community forums, which attracts tens of thousands of visits a day.

Hopefully it will be taken into account - additional weight will of course be added to the argument if several people send their own objections.

Tersie

15-09-2011 05:30 PM

Great letter!! I think you have said it all right there and voiced all concerns. Perhaps those who want to protest can with your permission copy this content, undersign it personally and email it into planning. Do you have the email address? Or postal address if that is the way we need to send it? I will do this asap!

dbboy

15-09-2011 05:31 PM

An excellent letter of objection. How can we have a "pizza outlet" being over looked by St.Augustines Church, makes the blood tingle with the very thought of it.

Redalways

15-09-2011 06:45 PM

Many people including a lot who dont read this forum will be disgusted that such a nice old bank building will be taken over by Dominos. Its sad that this is happenning just as the parade was beginning to develop real character of its own.

Is there anything we can do to maximise the number of people who will object - perhaps by putting a poster on the old bank itself ?

I dont think that would be illegal.

Bcm

15-09-2011 07:18 PM

A poster is a good idea. I have made up an A4 template that makes 4 mini leaflets. I will be posting them locally over the next few days as I am sure not enough people know about the forum.

If anyone would like a copy and is willing to print some out and deliver them around their local roads I'd certainly appreciate the help!

Those wishing to write their own letter can do so using the following address:

Planning department
London Borough Of Lewisham
Fifth Floor 1 Laurence House,
Catford Road
SE6 4R

star

15-09-2011 09:03 PM

Done me and the hubby. Thanks for setting up BCM

oryx

15-09-2011 09:12 PM

Signed. Yes, thanks for setting up.

oryx

15-09-2011 09:15 PM

Just signed the petition. It would be a tragedy for this lovely building to become part of a takeaway chain.

The other thing is, it will take business away from the existing fast food shops in HOP.

EleanorA

16-09-2011 09:21 AM

Such depressing news. Will do whatever I can to help.
Amazing work Bcm, happy to help with printing out posters and putting them up locally. Pm me your email address.

BT

16-09-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:
Many people including a lot who dont read this forum will be disgusted that such a nice old bank building will be taken over by Dominos

Pity there wasn't such an outpouring of objections when it was closed as a BANK

mrwandle

16-09-2011 10:33 AM

This is terrible news. I wish I had the money and/or the balls to start up a bar or restaurant there myself.

I thought most Domino's Pizza outlets were franchises? In which case the parent company probably won't care what the locals think as long as the franchisee is paying them their hefty fee to start up (and for signage!).

There's one down the road in Catford that's obviously been struggling for ages as they send a guy out with a sandwich board amongst the traffic on the South Circular, handing out flyers.

Cidered

16-09-2011 10:47 AM

The location they've chosen could indeed be put to much better use, especially as most of Dominos trade is delivery. Seems like the HOP parade is one step forward, one step back.

Will be interesting to see where they plan to park their scooters. If it's on the parade itself then they'll presumably be using car parking spaces which could be better used for customers of the other businesses, if it's on Grierson Road then I hope police and/or Lewisham Council will ensure they don't ride them through the pedestrian/cycle only gateway onto Honor Oak Park.

Bcm

16-09-2011 02:12 PM

Hi ElenorA, thanks for your offer of some help, I tried to PM you but the option doesn't appear (I'm probably being dense!). If you wouldn't mind pm'ing me your email address I'll gladly send you the template.

Cellar Door

16-09-2011 04:08 PM

Bt wrote:
Pity there wasn't such an outpouring of objections when it was closed as a BANK

Going back in time, I imagine there was probably objections when the building was first built.

What may have been a field or natural forest was ultimately giving way to the, way back when, modern developers.

Littlebelka

16-09-2011 06:31 PM

i signed too

Pages (37): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields