SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
EleanorA

22-07-2011 01:28 PM

Thanks Tersie, really interesting to hear what they said. Let's hope it's just a rumour then.
I think the general vibe is no to Dominoes but who knows. As someone said before we have Le Querce.
But please not an estate agent Michael!!! You're joking right?

Find all posts by this user
Bcm

01-09-2011 09:34 PM

Better an agent than yet another sub par junk food merchant

hoppyvonfrank

02-09-2011 10:21 AM

This is not a time to be level headed and provide a thought provoking post. A dominos would be a disaster, would set the wrong tone for the high street and, once in place, would be an eyesore while we waited to see if 'we're living in the kind of neighbourhood where plenty of people do have a use for a branch of Domino's'.

Redalways

02-09-2011 10:26 AM

The tone would be set if someone tipped off South London Press that there is antagonism to Dominos opening up in that building.

Remember Macdonalds - Hampstead !!!

Cellar Door

02-09-2011 11:05 AM

OK Chaps, we need to rally 'round and get Gerald Isaaman onboard.

This isn’t a disaster. I’m officially calling it a CALAMITY.

I've just hit the DEFCON 1 button.

Ruddiger

02-09-2011 11:05 AM

I don't mind a Dominos somewhere on the parade but the Old Bank is totally unsuitable. It is far too architecturally attractive for such a use. Hopefully Dominos will note local feeling on this.

I still don't see how renting all that space in the Old Bank stacks up financially for a take-away business anyway.

poolsneighbour

02-09-2011 11:19 AM

I would LOVE there to be a Domino's pizza anywhere in SE23 - I hate Pizza Hut! Nowhere delivers to Forest Hill, not Penge, Catford or Dulwich..so would be well located. I dont think the Old Bank is the right place for it though..!!

Scootagal

02-09-2011 11:29 AM

Dominos Catford deliver to SE23...I know as I am a rather frequent customer!! Think Papa Johns do too...

At least you know what a Dominos looks like in a way - a random chippy or kebab shop could look like anything if that's the main concern.

It does seem odd they would want such a large space though and also considering Catford deliver to the area why we need another one so close.

Not really wanting another Dominos but it could be worse Smile

rshdunlop

02-09-2011 11:55 AM

Papa Johns in Catford deliver to SE23, as do the wonderful Pizza Fresco in Crystal Palace. You can do both online, Papa Johns through their own website and Pizza Fresco through Hungry House.

mgmonkey

02-09-2011 12:21 PM

What if these guys were opening...

http://www.firezza.com/

Would this suddenly be acceptable?

I'm surprised the parade hasn't got a chicken shop.

Cellar Door

02-09-2011 01:09 PM

mgmonkey wrote:
Would this suddenly be acceptable?

No. A thousand times No, mgmonkey.

I believe I speak for all SE23.com Forum Users by saying that the only acceptable enterprise would be a Fortnum & Mason Gourmet Hamper concession.

Anything less would be an unmitigated cataclysm.

Oaklions

02-09-2011 01:13 PM

Why is it a disaster? I'd love Domino's to come to the area. They're really good at what they do. Besides, who needs another 'sit down' restaurant? If there was the demand for one, no doubt someone would open it but the truth is, most of the existing restaurants in the area (with the possible exception of the Babur) are near-empty midweek. Meanwhile, our fast food and takeaway outlets appear to me to be flourishing; perhaps because they serve the whole community, including lots of families who perhaps can't afford / don't want to eat out in a restaurant but like a break from cooking once in a while. But perhaps they don't count?

I'm also intrigued by the notion that The Old Bank is somehow too precious to be a pizza joint. (Precious being the 'mot juste'.) Why is a pizza joint any less acceptable than a restaurant or an estate agents? I wonder if the locals of the day made this much fuss when Honor Oak's only High St bank closed and was converted into a restaurant?

As for the premises being too large for a Domino's - remember, they'll need a fair bit of space to store all the delivery-bikes when they're not in use.

Bcm

02-09-2011 01:29 PM

I'm lost for words.

Let's just demolish the whole parade and have a tesco extra strip mall on one side, a mcdonalds, dominos and KFC on the other?

There are enough take outs in SE23 to serve the towns 3 times over and what the parade doesn't need is a second pizza emporium within a 1 minute walk of the (already decent) existing one.

Oaklions

02-09-2011 03:08 PM

Blimey! Is that your idea of being "lost for words" bcm?

1. "Let's just demolish the whole parade and have a tesco extra strip mall on one side, a mcdonalds, dominos and KFC on the other?"

Now you're just being silly. Though, if it made economic sense, somebody would probably do it. It's called the free market. True, such a development would be unattractive. (I take it that was your point?) But this isn't some historic jewel in the nation's crown we're talking about, it's HOP. If this were purely a question of architectural merit or aesthetics, there would actually be quite a strong case for demolishing the whole parade as you (jokingly?) suggest.

2. "There are enough take outs in SE23 to serve the towns 3 times over..."

In your opinion. Yet they all seem to survive, whilst restaurants like The Old Bank close. If only more people shared your refined tastes....

3. "...and what the parade doesn't need is a second pizza emporium within a 1 minute walk of the (already decent) existing one".

Again, in your opinion. We'll see. If you're right, Domino's will close and be replaced by something else. If you're wrong and Domino's survives, that will prove that there was a demand in HOP which was previously unmet. Either way, no harm (and possibly some good) will have been done.

So where's the disaster? Why is this trivial issue prompting such an angry (over)reaction? Honestly! You'd think the whole of HOP had been invaded by Daily Mail readers. Perhaps that's it; maybe people are worried about plummeting house prices as hordes of pizza-guzzling chavs (most of them illegal immigrants) defy their ASBOs and descend on the Parade of an evening, powerless to resist the aroma of baking pizza dough and the twang of mozzarella stretched (like themselves) beyond endurance?

hoppyvonfrank

02-09-2011 03:48 PM

dont see what chavs, illegal immigrants and daily mail readers have to do with this. Keep on topic.

Cheeky

02-09-2011 03:48 PM

Because it's the best building on the highstreet, the first one you see when approach the highstreet whether it be from the station or by car, cycle or on foot from One Tree Hill. From what it sounds like, the majority of us here would prefer it be an establishment that befits the quality of the building and sets the scene for what could potentially be a great highstreet.

There has been comments on here with regards to prime location of shops and the dry cleaners in Forest Hill is a great example, it sets the scene of an area and look what one of the latest shops there was, that bright yellow shop selling cheap tat. This is THE prime location of Honor Oak Highstreet and the building and location deserves better than a Domino Pizza ...or a bright yellow shop selling cheap tat somewhere else on the high street which no doubt a chain like Domino's would attract

Snobbish maybe, but a Domino Pizza is not my preferred choice for that building. Look at it, it's crying out to be a proper pub!!

Redalways

02-09-2011 03:49 PM

The bikes go on the pavement.

The parade already has a Pizza delivery shop.

rshdunlop

02-09-2011 04:00 PM

The bright yellow shop in Forest Hill may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but it does not sell tat (at least not exclusively). It is one of the most useful shops in FH.

mrcee

02-09-2011 04:25 PM

I think instead of complaining on a forum that the people who strongly oppose it should club together and open a restaurant, pub, supermarket etc.

For the record i would prefer to see a restaurant or pub use that space however there is one thing wanting to see it and another spending money there.

Its nice to have nice window shops but the owners need to survive as well

Oaklions

02-09-2011 05:51 PM

"The bikes go on the pavement."
Not overnight.

"The parade already has a Pizza delivery shop."
Soon it may have two. This is called competition. In theory, competition is good for consumers because it encourages (some would say obliges) businesses to keep their standards higher and their prices lower than if they had a monopoly. With a name like Redalways, you're surely not opposed to the idea of better, cheaper pizza for the masses?

Pages (37): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields