SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
EleanorA

21-07-2011 07:05 PM

Have heard a rumour that The Old Bank is becoming a Dominoes pizza. This is terrible!!!
We should all call Willmotts 020 8748 6644 and protest!!!

Find all posts by this user
hoona

21-07-2011 07:15 PM

Sadly if it's true I'm not sure calling Willmotts will do much good. They'll just wan the dosh. Where did you hear the rumour? There's another thread on here saying it's been sold rather than let.

Ruddiger

21-07-2011 07:39 PM

I thought they only did take-away? Why would they need all that nice restaurant space? I can imagine Pizza Express in there but Dominoes doesn't make much sense. Could perhaps imagine it more in the former Tandoori.

Tersie

22-07-2011 08:37 AM

Oh no....I have now also found out through a reliable source that Dominos are indeed looking to move into that site now...the tandoori and building above it has been sold off freehold, so it is anyones guess who will end up in there!! I for one will not use Domino's. I think it will be a disaster for the parade. Who wants their crappy pizza's when we have Le Querce...the best pizza I have tasted outside of Italy. Also there is the little take away place on HOP which does good takeaway pizzas late at night. Would rather give my money to these independent businesses. All we can do is not use them at all....the only way they will move on somewhere else!!

Ruddiger

22-07-2011 08:45 AM

That is not good news. I could just about live with them taking the Tandoori site but the Old Bank is a great building and potentially a fantastic space for a restaurant or pub - what a missed opportunity.

hoona

22-07-2011 09:01 AM

Sorry I got confused. I thought you meant the old tandoori was going to be a domino's. The Old Bank though???!!!! That really is a disaster! I don't understand. I thought both properties were being let not sold.

hoona

22-07-2011 09:04 AM

http://www.findaproperty.com/searchresul...03906&sp=1

This is as of today. Perhaps the rumours aren't true after all...

Ruddiger

22-07-2011 09:08 AM

I just don't see how the numbers stack up for a Dominos in that space. Let's hope it's not true but a few people seem fairly convinced...

EleanorA

22-07-2011 09:11 AM

I have just called Willotts (it's the Hammersmith office not the Honor Oak office that deal with the Old Bank?!?) and they did not deny it, but said they would pass on feedback to landlord so it really is worth calling. Perhaps we could start a petition?

hoona

22-07-2011 09:15 AM

Show me where to sign!

Tersie

22-07-2011 09:24 AM

I think we are better off contacting Dominos themselves to voice any concerns. Although we have heard of this from different sources it is still not 100% confirmed. This needs to come from the horses mouth to be 100% sure.

Head Office
Domino's Pizza Group Limited,
Lasborough Road
Kingston, Milton Keynes
MK10 0AB
01908 580000

Tersie

22-07-2011 09:32 AM

Waiting for Dominos business development guy - (who oversees new openings )to call me back....will let you know what I find out. To be fair if it is going ahead there is not a lot anyone anyone can do to stop corporate wheels in full motion.. All we can do is make a stand and not use them...

Ruddiger

22-07-2011 09:38 AM

Perhaps if there were enough emails objecting they might re-consider their business case...it's a fairly expensive space for a take-away outlet. Interested to hear what you find out!

Tersie

22-07-2011 10:04 AM

Just spoke to the new business development manager at Dominos.

I do not know if this is a fob off - This is what I was told.

SE23 is indeed an area where Dominos have pin pointed for expansion, however there are no immediate plans on our property schedule that indicate a store opening in HOP specifically. She went on to say that this could change from week to week as their property people are actively seeking the right unit in the SE23 area...hence why the rumours may have started...she confirmed that she is unaware of this but it is possible the property team have been in contact and been in primary discussions with Wilmotts about this unit.

If a store were to open it could take up to 30 weeks to happen, getting planning permission etc...this opening would not be communicated to the public but it would become obvious over time. She said that if local people wanted to air any concerns whatsoever about an potential opening in HOP they are very welcome to write into the PR Department at the head office address and this will be reviewed and considered.

Cheers
Tersie

michael

22-07-2011 10:56 AM

I'm sure there are a lot of more suitable shops for Dominos than the Old Bank. The Old Bank is far better suited to an eat-in restaurant, retail (A1), or office / service (A2). I would much prefer it to be a restaurant, but I could imagine it would make a good location for an estate agent or possibly a bank.

megan

22-07-2011 12:05 PM

I doubt very much that Dominoes would take this site isn't the rent £30k how many pizzas would they have to sell to cover that!! Plus they have a big unit in East Dulwich near the station and another in Catford. Perhaps the Honor Oak Tandoori but not the Old Bank that would be a disaster!

Tersie

22-07-2011 12:09 PM

The tandoori unit has been sold as a whole building, as I said before on another post, it is anyones guess who could move there...yes I agree this unit would be better suited for domino's...but would rather them not on the parade at all.

spud

22-07-2011 01:11 PM

'Disaster' is pitching it a bit strong, isn't it?

I live in Honor Oak so the Old Bank site is on my doorstep. It'd be nice to have a decent restaurant or pub there. If it became a Domino's, then I wouldn't have any use for it. And, if no-one else used it either, then I don't suppose it would survive.

If, on the other hand, a Domino's opened and thrived, then I suppose that would demonstrate that we're living in the kind of neighbourhood where plenty of people do have a use for a branch of Domino's. And I'm not quite sure why our wishes should outweigh the wishes of the pro-Domino's faction if there's enough of the latter to keep a Domino's in business. People vote with their money. That's how it works, isn't it?

So, I think it would be disappointing rather than devastating, to see a pizza chain on that spot. I am delighted, on the other hand, that Hills and Parkes are due to open their deli in the old ID shop. Swings and roundabouts...

(And if anyone finds that argument a bit too nuanced, or insufficiently black and white, then they should probably just paraphrase it in their heads as 'I love grot.'.)

megan

22-07-2011 01:22 PM

I don't think we could stop a business opening and yes your right if people use it it stays if not it goes.

Yes disaster is a strong word and personally I really wouldn't want a Dominoes but would rather it than a empty unit.

Ruddiger

22-07-2011 01:27 PM

Don't really disagree with you, and personally don't object if Dominos want to expand elsewhere in HOP or SE23 generally. I think the strength of feeling is particularly related to the Old Bank and whether it is an appropriate place for that use. In my view it clearly isn't because it has lots of dining space that would go to waste, and is a characterful and attractive building which could only be undermined by inappropriate corporate signage etc. It's also the first building you see turning left out of the station and so sets the tone for the parade - it would be good if that tone were positive!

Pages (37): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields