SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
smudge74

19-09-2011 11:25 PM

Have signed the petition and sent a (cut and pasted) letter to planning office at lewisham.
Here are the links below to make it easier for new visitors to the thread:

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition...eaway/3539

planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Find all posts by this user
Cheeky

20-09-2011 08:39 AM

I am looking at the plans in shear disbelief. Dominoes have no qualms in turning that lovely building into one big oven and ventilation behemoth. More than anything, it's a shame a building of such great architeture and character (which should definately be enjoyed by the people of the community) is being taken away from them and turned into a physical industrial monster churning out take away pizza with all its associated smells, noises and hot sweaty environment with a complete disregard to the real potential of the place.

....and that's without mention of all its mopeds

....which there will be many!!!!

Thumbdown

scully

20-09-2011 09:00 AM

Yes Tersie we will arrange a day for leafleting.

Here are some encouraging stories from round London which suggests to me that this application is not a fait accompli

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/36...y_refused/

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/ne...t_1_996329

http://meracouk.blogspot.com/2010/12/pla...se-to.html

Tersie

20-09-2011 09:30 AM

This is very interesting! Thanks for posting this Scully!! I think we can do this. Thumbsup

BarCar

20-09-2011 09:35 AM

Interesting that the Tower Hamlets rejection was partly based on health grounds

Anyway, here's another Dominos application at 92 New Cross Road from 2009 which was approved by Lewisham Planning with conditions:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=56492

Here's their illuminated sign application for the same location:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=57854

and here's the follow up from 2010 to meet the conditions imposed on approval:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=58709

Sadly Google Maps doesn't have current images of the shop front but it is open and trading. This was a former pub so it may be a good comparison to see what we'll end up with.

Design issues aside, the more I think about it my biggest concern about the Old Bank application is that the only legal traffic exit from where they are proposing to store the bikes is down Grierson Road, not onto Honor Oak Park. Pushing frequent commercial traffic down quiet residential streets is problematic. At the New Cross location they mitigated this by limiting opening hours to 11pm but I'm not sure that cuts it since this road was closed to stop rat-running in the first place.

BarCar

20-09-2011 09:42 AM

Interesting that having got approval at New Cross with limited opening hours to protect neighbours from noise they went straight back for a licensing extension to 1am and had it approved:

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/D...%20PDF.pdf

scully

20-09-2011 10:29 AM

Aye creeping opening hours seems to be a modus operandi. The hours applied for already are outside Lewisham's local policy for take aways shutting at 11pm. Domino must know this so they are pushing the boundaries already. Once in place they can apply for extending with greater ease. Not good

BarCar

20-09-2011 10:56 AM

Here are the Lewisham planning committee minutes from the New Cross application:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/50579_1.pdf

keva267

20-09-2011 08:23 PM

I have also signed the petition and sent an email with objections

Bcm

20-09-2011 09:17 PM

237 signed and counting. Lewisham council please take note!

Tinkerbell

21-09-2011 09:35 AM

Wow, there must be quite a few people "lurking" on SE23 who don't post. Great to see so many people take an interest in HOP!

Cellar Door

21-09-2011 11:28 AM

BMqpr wrote:
So while I understand people's objections think a little more about the state of the market. Pizza places, especially take-aways are one of the few businesses that have done well in the last few years and are employing youngsters, who currently 1 in 5 are out of work.

BMqpr wrote:
Because it is a take-away outfit you would prefer the site empty, and who knows how long it could be empty for, than a site that could create some employment opportunities for some youngsters.

I’m agreeing with BMqpr’s thinking about employment opportunities being thrown out with this application.

I observe in Bcm’s post #51, with the mock up picture of the Domino’s, having 5 little scooters at the front. 5 scooters = at least 5 jobs that are being undermined.

I’d like to read more about how your objections outweigh giving young people local earning opportunities here and now. (I don't think I've read any response to BMqpr's queries about potential loss of employment opportunities. There appears to be a deafening wall of silence around this so far.)

Tersie

21-09-2011 11:41 AM

Have you thoughts about the other 2 independent pizza takeaways one 50 meters away and another less than 150 meters away who without doubt will be out out of business??....what about their jobs and lively hood then?? Not to mention the rat running of said 6/7 bikes up all the back streets of HOP, noise and general pollution, potentially until 1am! Not to mention that raw food deliveries are in big lorries that will block emergency road access on either Grierson Road or Honor Oak Park, if on Honor Oak park it would also potentially block a bus stop directly outside the unit.

This is why we are objecting. The Old Bank is far more suited to another business. A large pizza takeaway hub for SE London would be better placed elsewhere. If opposed they are still seeking to open up in a more suited location in SE23 and employ local people anyway.

If anyone wants a draft letter to forward on to planning addressing these and other real concerns - please email and one will be sent to you!!!

saynotodominospizza@gmail.com

stefan

21-09-2011 12:08 PM

wouldnt any other outlet have deliveries as well, especially the favoured sit in restaurant pub - opening times would be the same for sit in restaurant /pub and noise levels might be worse than a few mopeds going up and down the road?

Tersie

21-09-2011 12:21 PM

The Old Bank site (for those who don't know) currently has restaurant status... It has never been approved as a takeaway!! It was a nice sit down restaurant, sadly for various reasons the business failed. A large takeaway / delivery hub where people order on line or over the phone would not attract any new people to visit the parade in the evening, enticing people to use the other great businesses we have in HOP. The vast majority of people would prefer a sit down restaurant, this would be more suited to the building too. The numbers of local people objecting already for various reasons are speaking from themselves. If you feel so strongly about it there is nothing stopping you from sending a letter of approval.

stefan

21-09-2011 12:34 PM

I dont approve at all, I just thought your point regarding food delivery and noise was not a valid one thats all

Redalways

21-09-2011 12:38 PM

Quite Right Tersie.

What i cannot understand is why Dominos require such a large venue. Unless they intend to make it a mini hub to include Sydenham Penge etc - which will make the dodgy motorbikes parked on the pavement even worse

I will put in a formal objection.

Tersie

21-09-2011 12:40 PM

Fair enough if you think that Stefan, objection is snowballing so this speaks volumes that it is a business local folk would prefer not to have. Don't get me wrong I like Pizza but the general consensus is that it is just not the right business for that particular location.

BarCar

21-09-2011 12:51 PM

By the employment logic, would a lap-dancing club be acceptable in this location simply because it creates jobs? Planning policy is about having the right businesses in the right location. That's the objection I have.

Perhaps the landlord needs to lower their rent expectations to make it viable for a restaurant?

BMqpr

21-09-2011 01:18 PM

My original post asked about this restaurant that everyone is going on about, do we have any takers, as I agree a restaurant would be much nicer on the parade. But as I said there doesn't seem to be any takers, so that building could be closed for a long time, the longer it is shut the longer there is a lack of new local employment.
I'm taking about the 17, 18 and 19 year olds who are really struggling to find work, I feel for them as I have recently had a spell of unemployment, and that was after working for 25 years staright from the age of 16. I was lucky that i got a break so young, but now I am well aware of how frustrating of being jobless long term. I'd be well peed off right now to see a chance of some employment go on the hope that a restaurant will turn up soon.
Believe me, if it was a straight case of a restaurant or Dominoes bidding for that site right here right now I would be with you guys.

Pages (37): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields