SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
Tinkerbell

24-09-2011 06:36 PM

Thanks a lot for the background, scully, very interesting!

The added problem that I see with Domino's is that, unlike with other types of business where residents and the wider HOP community can actually vote with their feet and simply not use a business, thereby possibly taking some influence on its success, we cannot really do the same once the Domino's is up and running. They'll get plenty of customers phoning in from further afield, who are probably less interested in saving the parade from a the Domino eyesore, whether those living close by use it, or not.

Find all posts by this user
Baboonery

25-09-2011 06:25 PM

"Eyesore" = thing slightly less beautiful than we might like.

movingsouth

26-09-2011 07:47 PM

did not know where to post and seemed silly to open a new tread but...
if I am not mistaken someone on this forum will be happy to know that jeyarani premises are up for rent [/i]

BarCar

27-09-2011 02:12 PM

The former Honor Oak Tandoori is showing as "Let Agreed" at http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop...id=8505199

Redalways

27-09-2011 02:27 PM

Lets hope its not a Fried Chicken or Kebab place

BarCar

27-09-2011 02:54 PM

Here are the details for Jeyarani: http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop...=10031046.

Expansion opportunity for Neroli or Try?

BarCar

27-09-2011 05:22 PM

The documentation for the separate illuminated sign application by Dominos is now online at http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...key=64414.

The application is to wrap illuminated Dominos branding down around the fascia of both sides, both units and to hang an internal illuminated "open" sign in one of the windows facing Honor Oak Park.

For the fascias, I would prefer to see a fixed sign with external illumination from a "lighting arm". Similar to the Old Bank signage today.

As proposed, I suspect this will be a bit of a "blue lighthouse" on the corner with the full length of the fascia on both sides of the building being lit up. Does anybody know what "200 cd per metre" squared light level actually looks like?

I'm also not sure the internal "open" sign is going to win any design awards.

Any guidance from others on relevant planning/licensing policy here?

Bcm

27-09-2011 07:07 PM

That puts to bed the notion of dominos affording the parade any aesthetic consideration then. Those who opose should sign the petition and contact lewisham planning dept if they have not already.

NewForester

27-09-2011 07:20 PM

Shop front design Guidance can be found here

Apparently, the notification letter says that comments should be received by 12 October but LBL accept comments up until a decision is made on the case.

Tinkerbell

27-09-2011 09:10 PM

Sorry, Baboonery, but mine was "eyesore" = thing so revoltingly ugly that I will from that day on until eternity (or until I can buy in NW3, whichever happens sooner) have to cross the road and hurry into the soothing, calming haven that is Neroli and book myself in for 120 mins of pampering anti-stress-anti-Pizza treatments, or at least down a bottle of Tapastry's finest Rioja and then head for some compensatory consumerism at Jumping Bean and a few organic carrot muffins at the H&P. Which incidentally may turn out to be a good thing for shop revenues on that side of the road, but isn't perhaps the best outcome, not best route home from the station for me.

BarCar

28-09-2011 08:38 AM

My objection to the illuminated sign application lodged as follows:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

We wish to register our objection to planning application DC/11/78379/FT for "the display of 3 internally illuminated fascia signs, internally illuminated projecting sign and window sign at 76-78 Honor Oak Park SE23".

Overall, the application is of a very poor design quality and not in keeping with the location of this landmark building on the Honor Oak Park shopping parade. A significantly higher standard of design should be required if this application is to be approved.

With reference to the council's own ShopFront Design Guide (http://goo.gl/s13LV) we find the proposed design to be lacking in the following respects (all quotations from the referenced guide):

General Design

- "There will be a presumption in favour of retaining and refurbishing the whole shopfront or any historic parts which remain"
- "The design should complement the period and style of the building onto which it is fitted"

Fascias

- "Large areas of acrylic or other shiny material are unacceptable"

Lighting

- "Internally illuminated fascia boxes are always inappropriate for historic buildings"
- "Internally illuminated signs on fascias are often out of place and will be resisted"
- "In all cases, external lighting is preferred"

Materials

- "Modern materials such as plastics, aluminium, Perspex and stainless steel, when carefully designed, can be appropriate for modern shopfronts. The quality and detailing are important."

Traditional lettering and sign writing

- "Oversized lettering can give a cluttered and unattractive appearance to the streetscape"
- "The lettering should reflect the proportions of the fascia and the quality and character of the shopfront"

Projecting and hanging signs

- Should be "in character with the scale of the building"
- Should be "located at fascia level"
- Should be "respectful of the architectural features of the building"
- Fascia box signs should "not protrude more than 100mm" and should "not be internally illuminated"
- Should "use a style of lettering appropriate to the character of the building"
- "The use of standard corporate advertising and signs can be damaging in some locations. Organisations will be required to show flexibility and consideration to their building and its surroundings.
- "Hanging signs should not damage architectural features and should be located sensitively at fascia level"
- "It is important that colours harmonise with the detailing and character of the building and surrounding area"

This design would make a travesty of the most significant building on the Honor Oak Park parade which is seem daily by thousands of pedestrians and drivers passing through the parade.

We strongly urge the council to reject this application and require a high quality design in keeping with the significance of this building and with it's own design guide.

Feel free to use as a template to send to planning@lewisham.gov.uk quoting "Comment on Planning Application DC/11/78379/FT" in the subject.

Don't forget to object to BOTH planning applications:

Change of use: http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=64364
Illuminated Signs: http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=64414

Signing the petition, while helpful, will not stop either application from proceeding - you need to object to the applications by contacting Lewisham Planning.

mljay

28-09-2011 02:40 PM

thanks for template BarCar.

danieljon

29-09-2011 10:04 PM

Has anyone else read the posters on the Old Bank in HOP's windows?

There is planning applications for it being a Dominos Pizza and the facade all changing - seems a great shame it's not going to be another family friendly restaurant - there are already two Pizza places in the high street do we really need another?

The posters have an email address on for those that wish to challenge the application, but I was in a rush and didn't have time to jot it down - will look tomorrow and add to the post - I for one will challenge it!

The Old Bank has been part of the strip of shops for many years and it's sad to think it will look completely unrecognisable under the proposed facade changes Sad

BarCar

30-09-2011 10:38 AM

If you tweet you might like to refer http://twitter.com/#!/Dominos_UK to review the Shopfront Design Guide.

Short URLs for the applications:

And for the Lewisham Shopfront Design Guide:
We need more objections to the signs application to get it called to a community meeting too.

BarCar

30-09-2011 06:22 PM

Dominos have offered a meeting with their "acquisitions manager".

http://twitter.com/#!/Dominos_UK/status/...6369518592

Anybody interested in joining me?

Bcm

30-09-2011 08:40 PM

I'd be very happy to join you at the meeting

michael

30-09-2011 09:52 PM

With the number of objections there should also be a local meeting for the objectors to express their concerns to representatives of Dominos.

Tersie

01-10-2011 02:38 PM

The campaign against Domino's coming to HOP is really snowballing now - there have now been an estimated 250 letters sent into Lewisham Planning and over 400 signatures on a petition. Sadly this petition will not be accepted as full names and addresses are not on there. Keep an eye out - there will be another petition starting next week....For a draft letter for planning and information on the petition and on a press photo shoot outside The Old Bank next week..(The Lewisham Mercury are running a story on the campaign)

please email saynotodominospizza@gmail.com you will automatically be sent a draft letter to send to planning and will be kept up to date with all campaign news Thumbsup

hopper

01-10-2011 04:52 PM

This is terrible. There's already one pizza place on the high street. And in that lovely old building. I might start collecting every pizza delivery leaflet I get sent as evidence that there is no shortage of fast food options in HOP.

Tinkerbell

01-10-2011 07:53 PM

Wow, I'm impressed by the number of people who are sending off their letters. I can feel a little protest march up and down the HOP parade coming on.

Only instead of banners and signs, we'll be holding boxes of Papa John's Extra Cheese and Express Pizza's Thin Crust Margherita up in the air. If they can do it on Wall Street... Smile

Pages (37): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields