SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Using the DLR from Lewisham to Canary Warf
Ghis

20-02-2008 11:04 AM

What is it like to use the DLR from Lewisham to commute to Canary Warf?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jane

20-02-2008 01:42 PM

Brilliant! Frequent service and you always get a seat at Lewisham.

voyager3

20-02-2008 01:50 PM

Generally pretty good and infinitely preferable to the tube. I don't always get a seat from Lewisham when I go through (8.30am ish) although could easily wait for the next train if I wanted one. The trains do get packed further down the line but somehow is not as bad as the tube, perhaps because it is above ground which is much pleasanter. And there doesn't tend to be the same regular delays and problems as on the tube. On the rare occasion something does go wrong you're a bit stuck if somewhere on route, but usually quickly fixed. [/u]

voyager3

20-02-2008 01:53 PM

Forgot to add that the Lewisham trains are busy of an evening when getting on at CW so I tend not to get a seat, but it thins out after Crossharbour and am usually seated by the time we get to Lewisham.

Ghis

20-02-2008 02:01 PM

Another thing. I am just 2 miles from the station and was thinking about the practicalities of cycling to the station with a folding bike. Do people do this?

voyager3

20-02-2008 05:57 PM

I haven't seen anyone do it (some people seem to cycle and leave their bikes in the rack outside the station but not sure of the wisdom of this). Bikes aren't permitted on the DLR and I believe the stated policy is that folding bikes are only allowed if completely enclosed in a container but no idea if they actually enforce this. Have you considered cycling the whole way to work? I sometimes do from HOP to my office in CW and it isn't a bad journey. Takes me 40 minutes and think it works out at about 10k each way.

berlinhammer

03-03-2008 09:45 AM

i have been wondering this.

i am thinking of buying somewhere in the sunderland road area and need to get to crossharbour for work.

it looks from the map that my best bet is walking to catford bridge and getting the train from there to lewisham, then the DLR. does any one else do this journey? i hope it is better than the london bridge service, that sounds like a nightmare form what i've read on here!

fwiw i get the DLR from stratford at the present time. you tend to get a seat as it is an end line like lewisham so it's ok generally.

thenutfield

03-03-2008 11:25 PM

its a long walk from Sunderland road to catford. The 185 bus goes from the end of Sunderland Road right to Lewisham station - probably easier and quicker.

voyager3

26-03-2008 10:47 AM

A note of caution for those that use the P4 to get to or from Canary Wharf. I had my purse stolen out of my handbag at about 6pm last night as I was getting on to the bus at Lewisham bus station. There was quite a large crowd of people getting onto the bus and in the crush the guy beside me managed to open my bag and steal my purse. I've been using the P4 for some time now and nothing like this has ever happened before, but it seemed like a MO he had used before so you may want to be a bit more vigilant.

shzl400

26-03-2008 12:15 PM

That's exactly what happened to me recently, except at the Brixton end of the P4. I wonder if they are targetting that route?

Sherwood

26-03-2008 03:53 PM

I have noticed at some bus stops that a crowd surges forward when a bus arrives, but they do not get on the bus.
I don't think they target any particular bus. They just need a large crowd to cover their activities.

voyager3

26-03-2008 04:01 PM

In this instance, the guy actually got on the bus with me, presumably as it took him that long to rummage in my bag and locate my purse. But he got off again pronto, after asking the driver whether it was going to a destination it clearly wasn't. Having had various conversations with the police today I get the impression this is a fairly common tactic and pretty easy pickings as the thieves have the perfect cover amidst all the pushing and shoving that typically occurs when the bus arrives.. Fingers crossed there will be CCTV from the bus.

Sherwood

26-03-2008 09:01 PM

He may have used his Oyster card when he got on!

reverendlionelblair

07-03-2009 09:32 PM

Cycling from FH to CW is fine, I do it every morning and have worked out a good back roads route that avoids most of the main roads.

Anyone suggest the route they take?

dbboy

08-03-2009 12:00 PM

A note of caution, on Thursday, I went from Lewisham to Canary Wharf using prepay on the DLR. Touched in my Oyster card at Lewisham and on getting off at CW, got to the bottom of the escalator to leave the station where a ticket check was being conducted by Serco staff, which was fine, BUT forgot to touch out my Oyster card. It cost me ?4 for an uncompleted jouney, I then had to phone DLR to get the refund. As an infrequent user of the DLR they will be sending out a cheque. Would be more useful to have the Oyster touch in/touch out machine on teh platform. So if you use prepay, lesson learnt was not to forget to touch in and out. Rant over.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields