SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (15): « First < Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Central
Propa-Wrongun

09-09-2008 09:48 AM

I see in the latest Mercury (or News Shopper) from last week that work on this "devellopment" has come to a grinding halt. Wondered why none of them were there when I went to work. This morning Morrisons were loading one of their mini-diggers onto an HGV. OK so Berkley (spelling?) seem to think that they can alter the planning permission to add even more 'units' despite all having been signed - BUT - what about the road closure - for 3 months?? They "hope to be back in action in the new year"! Lucky I'm not elderly and can walk isnt it!

Anyway - despite the perceived London-wide need for homes - how do these new builds get permission in a location like this when all surrounding properties are old - why is it not a conservation area? How? Prince Charles was right in '87 if you recall his speach! It just doesnt bloodywell fit!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

09-09-2008 11:21 AM

Article in the Mercury http://www.mercury-today.co.uk/tn/news.c...est%20hill

Work should continue on the road separate from the apartment block, but there has been little sign of work happening in the last couple of weeks and there is still quite a lot of work to do before the road can reopen.

robwinton

09-09-2008 12:02 PM

Work is slow, but they have been working on it I think. There are many layers to lay and pipes to repair (which they broke) but I'd expect they'll finish this part - it'll not stand them in good stead if they are trying to win a planning appeal if nothing else.

I've an idea. Why don't we suggest they convert the floors to an open air gallery for Havelock Walk artists? We could have large photos and some sculptures on show to passers-by on the train and they'll be reasonably protected from the elements if they are between floors.

Any photpgraphers out there want to create a large print to display?

brian

09-09-2008 12:51 PM

There were 3 gentlemen working on it this morning. To be honest the longer closed the better, there has been far less traffic along Dacres Rd , but still amazing how many miss the large signs

Renzon

09-09-2008 02:15 PM

It is unusual for construction work to stop just because of a planning appeal. Normally work carries on during an appeal, to complete the parts of the work that are unaffected by the changes requested in the appeal.

It makes me wonder whether the developer is using the appeal process as an excuse to stop work owing to the economic outlook.

soulrider

09-09-2008 02:50 PM

Berkely are using the 1-bed argument as an excuse, because basically they aren't going to sell any flats as the sentiment has changed. they are going to hold the council to ransom. It would be a bit like us saying to our mortgage lender my flat is going down in price but i was expecting to make a 25% profit in the next 2 years so i'm not going to pay my mortgage until prices go up again.

i think ill squat in it!

gingernuts

09-09-2008 02:58 PM

I wonder if there are any covenants on the land fobidding half built structures?

brian

09-09-2008 03:02 PM

I agree. Surely when the council signed the planning permissiomn there was an agreement that work was done in a prescribed time . If not surely this is a lesson for the future.
Not sure squatting there would be comfortable especially in this weather

Sherwood

09-09-2008 09:34 PM

If they leave it much longer someone will slap a preservation order on it!

michael

09-09-2008 10:41 PM

I was speaking to somebody about the possibility of a section 215 demand for them to tidy up the site and make it look more presentable. The council is currently using a similar tactic for the ex-bakers on Dartmouth Road. It is a complete eyesore, so section 215 would seem a good way to move forward.

michael

12-09-2008 09:55 AM

There were loads of police around the site on Wednesday evening, proving that leaving a site in this state will attract crime and anti-social behaviour.

Berkeley Homes should return to the site and continue with the work they can do. The two plans have no external differences, and only 10 out of the 70 flats are directly affected. Clearly they could continue work and make the site more presentable, and less prone to crime and anti-social behaviour, if they were not deliberately doing this in the hope of forcing the council and community to accept their more profitable plans.

koza

12-09-2008 04:37 PM

varied coloured lights on each floor is a simple but very effective solution to cheering the place up at night and deterring vandals.

Happysnapper

12-09-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:
There were loads of police around the site on Wednesday evening, proving that leaving a site in this state will attract crime and anti-social behaviour.

Not only police, but a police helicopter overhead as well....

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

13-09-2008 10:12 PM

All the more reason to give them the planning permission they want and let them get on with the building work.

Zeus

14-09-2008 01:32 PM

That would mean blackmail works!

baggydave

08-10-2008 11:45 PM

Whats the best thing about the view from the Southbank? That you can't see the Southbank. Not that I agree as the 50s architecture has some brave new world attraction to it.

But I like the poster up at what was Scotchbrooks showing the views around Forest Hill - the thing they don't show is the horrid skeletal frame that you can see beyond the station.

Happysnapper

11-11-2008 02:11 PM

Empty skeleton
Grey, concrete eyesore
Forest Hill Central

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Baboonery

11-11-2008 04:44 PM

Built at the wrong time
Silver bones blackened with rain
You could be home now

michael

27-11-2008 10:53 AM

Good News / Bad News

Bad News
Berkeley Homes won their appeal against Lewisham and now have permission for a block of prodominently 1 bed flats.

Good News
They have indicated that they intend to restart building work soon.

Let's hope they also reduce the prices.

PVP

27-11-2008 11:08 AM

I would say on balance the good news far outweighs the bad news. With more 1 beds we can get more young people who will hopfully frequent the improving bar / pub scene in FH.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Central School brian 2 8,306 06-03-2008 02:42 PM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming