SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (15): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Central
Sherwood

30-08-2008 04:33 PM

I called into Scotchbrooks today. They confirmed that the Forest Hill branch is closing this weekend.

The mamager said he actually worked for Berkeley Homes. He said that the building work is now held up until the planning appeal is determined. The application for revision will not change the external appearance, but it will alter the position of the internal services. So they cannot continue until the application for revised planning permission is determined.

He said that there is demand for the one bedroom flats. This demand is coming from elderly people currently living in larger houses/2 or 3 bedroom flatswho want to downsize. So allowing the change would free up the larger properties anyway.

Anyway we have that skeleton until the appeal is determined.

Curiously, I thought the one bedroom flats close to the railway station would be ideal for professional people working in the city centre.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

30-08-2008 06:21 PM

If that is correct let them finish it

nasaroc

31-08-2008 11:35 AM

Sherwood - surely you should have asked what type of hallucinatory drugs the Scotchbrook manager was on!!

Of course many elderly people want to downsize. But the ones described by the Scotchbrook manager are either desperate to use their Freedom Passes - or they are in need of immediate psychiatric help.

Downsizing is largely about saving money - so why would you want to move into a wildly overpriced flat when you could get a home for half the price just round the corner? And if your working life is coming to an end and you will be spending more time at home, why would you choose to live in a noisy, cramped space next to a railway when you could enjoy space as well as peace and quiet just five minutes away?

Did he also explain that the reason that Scotchbrooks was shutting was nothing to do the downturn in housing sales (or a failure to sell the Berkeley Homes block) but because a wicked elf had put a magic spell on the shop which meant that customers turned into pumpkins as soon as they entered the premises?

brian

31-08-2008 11:51 AM

It is very sad as they were one of the old established agents of Forest Hill , along with Stanfords. I thought one of the new ones would go sooner.
Guess they put half their eggs in one basket, always a dodgy thing to do. Surely we must feel sorry for the staff, I know estate agents generate little sympathybut they are fellow citizens.
I also think it strange they are going for the retirement market. I thoight thatn was for the likes of McCartney and Stone. I agree older people like to be near transport links but not that near.
Passed about 1 hour ago the Old Scotchbrooks and two elderly gentlemen in situ. I assume they think retired people like dealing with fellow over 60's

Sherwood

31-08-2008 01:50 PM

I only reported what I was told. It would be a curious thing to make up. Surely we would prefer to have an influx of wealthy yuppies! But does it really matter who wants to buy the one bedroom flats?
These eldery people might see a business opportunity to buy flats that will be in demand when the East London Line opens in 2010.
The value of properties in Deptford increased dramatically when the DLR opened up.
Also these properties might well suit elderly people being near to the shops and a pub!
Anyway I would prefer to see the development completed as soon as possible. FH traders must prefer to see more customers moving in.

The worrying thing is not which estate agent shop is closing, but it is a sign of things to come as at last admitted by our Chancellor - the current one not the brilliant one who was in charge for the previous ten years.

brian

31-08-2008 02:38 PM

Hi Sherwood I agree with you.

The sign outside today still says 1, 2 and 3 bedroom flats.

I assume you are being sarcastic about our ex Chancellor

Sherwood

31-08-2008 03:44 PM

Brian,

I expect that if they can sell the 2 bedroom flats, they will.
Why do you think I am being sarcastic? Unsure
Gordon Brown was the best Chancellor we had between 1997 & 2007! Rofl

roz

31-08-2008 09:32 PM

Clearly I have been amiss in only finding out about Scotchbrooks today (see other thread).

The planning appeal is a cause for concern and something which needs to be kept an eye on. However I'm not sure whether a business case for smaller flats is enough to win an appeal on its own but its not unheard of.

Does anyone know what proportion of the flats have actually been purchased off plan? It may also be that many of those who have paid a deposit have decided to forfeit this rather than proceed as they may not be able to secure mortgages given that values have fallen and lending has been tightened up. I would also be deeply suspicious about any view of elderly people chasing after one beds such as these. They are not adapted flats and are likely to have higher than average service charges, and I can't see people on reduced income being wildly attracted to this type of property, particularly as the main clientele is likely to be mid to late 30's with a potential clash of lifestyle. As someone has pointed out, the values are also not what you would expect this sector of the community to pay.

The fact that the work is now on hold until the appeal is held is also of concern. Does anyone know the timescale for this? This can take up to 6 months in a fair wind. What does this mean for the road closure timetable and for the affordable housing provision. And what happens if they do not get this. Loads of questions!
Leaving a frame like this will not do its fabric any good as it will incur weather damage and its construction value will drop further.
I have been dealing with developers in Docklands who have just abandoned a partially completed building and laid off all of their workers as they cannot afford to complete the building.

I hope this autumn sees some sort of housing market rescue package like we had in the early 90's as something needs to be done to at least keep the market ticking over for the next few years.

Londondrz

01-09-2008 09:09 AM

I always thought that when it came to retirement those who could sell their homes would do so, make a tidy profit and retire to the country. Obviously not then, I guess a pokey 1 bed flat overlooking a railway line is the way to goUnsure

Rikke

01-09-2008 09:42 AM

The sign on the building site has now been amended and says 1 and 2 bed flats. I didn't think this had been agreed by the Council? Still no workers on the site

blushingsnail

01-09-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:
The sign on the building site has now been amended and says 1 and 2 bed flats. I didn't think this had been agreed by the Council? Still no workers on the site

There were never any 3-bedroom flats in the development. The reference to 3-bedrooms was a mistake in the marketing materials, hence the correction.

The second planning application (and the one Berkeley Homes are currently appealing) was to reduce the number of 2-bed flats and increase the number of 1-beds.

brian

01-09-2008 10:52 AM

Walking past the site daily I am beginning to think the council should let them build more 1 bedroom if they promise to finish.

ForestGump

01-09-2008 11:32 AM

The website for Forest Hill Central also advertises only 1 or 2 bedrooms, mind you that's all they've built so far.

How many 3 bedroom flats were proposed?

loca

01-09-2008 12:15 PM

They are still selling the 3 bed at ?500-

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-2...1&tr_t=buy

brian

01-09-2008 12:56 PM

Must admit looks good but still a bit pricey

Londondrz

01-09-2008 01:03 PM

Waaaaay overpriced for the area.

thenutfield

01-09-2008 01:49 PM

from the sales blurb

In accordance with local planning requirements (Section 106 Agreement), the owner of any of the apartments within the development is required to covenant not to apply for (unless the occupant is the holder of a disabled person's badge issued pursuant to Section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970) a permit to park a vehicle in a place designated in an order made under Section 45(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 for the use of residents or businesses in the locality of the land.

does this mean the council are planning to introduce a parking permit scheme round there?

thenutfield

01-09-2008 01:51 PM

...also from the sales blurb

Your attention is drawn to the fact that it may not be possible to provide the branded products as referred to in the specification. In such cases, a similar alternative will be provided. Berkeley Homes reserves the right to make these changes as required.

ie you think you are buying a luxury 2-bed flat.....you end up with a concrete skeleton!

blushingsnail

01-09-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:
does this mean the council are planning to introduce a parking permit scheme round there?

Hindsley's Place is already a controlled parking zone.

brian

06-09-2008 10:49 AM

Brand new board up at site with Robert Stanford's details. I hope they know what they are doing as FHC does not drag them down as well as they are , in my opinion , our best local agent.

Pages (15): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Central School brian 2 8,262 06-03-2008 02:42 PM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming