SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Duncombe Hill?
hoona

12-07-2011 04:07 PM

Hi there, I'd love some advice on Duncombe Hill. A friend may be moving from north London and has seen somewhere on Duncombe Hill. As I'm the other side of SE23 I don't know much about the road. Is it nice? Friendly? Any anti-social behaviour probs?
Thanks!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mgmonkey

12-07-2011 05:22 PM

You have Blythe Hill Park at the end of it, which is great for views and kids, (if you like kids).

The Chandos Pub is at the Brockley Rise end which when I lived in the area I visited once and never visited again. Tis a bit rough, but not scary rough. Screaming out for a refurb.

The parade of shops and restaraunts are good to have. Post Office, Le Querce Italian Restaraunt, a good Turkish takeaway a couple of greasy spoon cafes.

Always felt ok around there when we were renting in the area and would happily have bought round there if we hadn't ended up in another part of SE23. Nearest train station Honor Oak Park, but also not far from Crofton Park and what that has to offer too,

hoona

12-07-2011 05:33 PM

Thanks - do you know if the Brockley Rise end is okay? That's the bit she's looking at. Really appreciate your response.

mgmonkey

12-07-2011 05:42 PM

Nice period properties on the road itself.

It depends on how close to the end it is I suppose, as it can be quite busy with cars on Brockley Rise at that point as there is a mini roundabout and quite a few buses passing through, (on Brockley Rise). I think there are a couple of car mechanic garages right at the end, not sure if they might be noisy or not.

I recall someone from the road posting on here before. Hopefully they'll give their tuppenceworth,

The Grange Gem

12-07-2011 06:15 PM

Hoona
I delivered leaflets in SE23 for 5 years. I always felt comfortable on Duncombe Hill and its overtly a good middle class road. Brockley Rise is a bit of a mixture but I had no problems there either.

hoona

12-07-2011 06:43 PM

Thanks everyone. Will pass on the info.

megan

12-07-2011 06:55 PM

Hello I live on Duncombe Hill have done for 11 years. Really lovely friendly street. Which side are they moving to I'm on the wrong side don't have access to the private park! But at the top of the road is Blythe Hill so still lucky. Restaurant wise you have Babur which is lovely and Le Querce and Honor Oak mini high street is a 4 minute walk. Parking isn't to bad on Duncombe Hill either.

Hope they like it

rmurraywest

12-07-2011 08:27 PM

I live on St German's nearby, and we've never had any trouble. The Honor Oak is a nice pub, Le Querce, as mentioned, is amazing, and Dalmain and William of York, the nearest schools, are very well regarded. The chemist and the Jenner are other useful additions.

squashst

12-07-2011 09:52 PM

And the Babur (with the Tiger) is a good (albeit pricier than the norm) Indian Restaurant. In the HOP parade there is soon to open the Hills & Parkes deli. Oh and there is the Try Tapas bar in the same parade. You'll be 5 mins or so away from the Brockley Jack pub which has a small theatre / film nights. Good transport connections of course from HOP with the Overground as well as National Rail.

Poppy9560

12-07-2011 10:04 PM

Duncombe Hill is a lovely road - if you want a nice pub the Blythe Hill Tavern is a short walk away and Blythe Hill Fields is lovely. I appreciate the "greenness" around here Smile
It is good for transport and the local shops have all you need - I tend to either get the bus to/from Lewisham for Sainsbury's or walk over the hill to tesco or walk to Lewisham if feeling energetic) You could also get the train to Surry Quays for Asda or to Canary Wharf or Croydon for Waitrose - plenty of choice. If you want a gym look at St Dunstans - think it is £25 per month for classes, use of gym and swimming. Only drawback is it is out of school hours only if you don't work I guess

shimmysister

18-08-2011 08:22 PM

I would love to live in Duncombe Hill if there was somewhere within our budget for sale. Is the private park for residents on duncombe Hill and Lowther Hill does anyone know. I would assume there could be a big charge every month for maintaining it.

psyche9

19-08-2011 05:19 AM

I would love to live there - if I had more money it would be my street of choice. Great views .. well, maybe not so much lower down but even then, just a 2 or 3 minute walk to one of the prettiest and highest park views in London; nearer than i am now to one of the best, according to the Curry Club, Indian restaurants in UK, and to one of the best pubs - CAMRA award winning Blythe Hill Tavern. Nice row of shops/food places at Brockley Rise : the Tai Wu, the Turkish takeawy, the cafe on the corner that does nice breakfasts, the flower shop, Le Querce (several friends say is best Italian in south east London), plus useful stuff like Post office, big newagent, late night shops, old fashioned china shop, barber is good (husband goes), good transport links .... are you kidding, what's it like?

Woody R

12-08-2014 01:27 PM

It's not really anything to do with your question, but when i lived in Ackroyd road in the 1960's, we used to come down Duncombe hill , with books on top of a roller skate, i suppose, if we had thought about it, we invented the first skateboard.

We also made " Soapbox trolleys " which we made out of planks of wood and old pram wheels.

We made one, one weekend, but forgot to fit a brake on it, we intended to turn it into the old bomb site, at the bottom of Duncombe hill, but unfortunately, as i was sitting on the back facing up the hill, my legs got trapped underneath, which resulted in me getting the nails in my foot, happy days.

Also, up on the right hand side, going up Duncombe hill, was a very large house, which had been empty for many years, it really was a very huge errie place, it frightened the life out of us when we were kids, we used to dare each other to go in there. They actually used this house in the Michael Caine film Funeral in Berlin. All the actors and cast stayed at what was then, the St Germans Hotel

Poppy9560

12-08-2014 02:30 PM

I walk along there most days and if I win the lottery would love to live there. Have you seen the house for sale for almost £1million????????? It's basically a quite large semi...........

Jane_D

13-08-2014 03:05 PM

I love the road and that private park, but just under a million for an ordinary semi beggars belief. I can't find an advert for that, only for a couple of flats which are fairly reasonably priced (relatively speaking).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Found: ELC Bee rattle at Duncombe Hill Littlebelka 1 3,216 23-06-2012 11:05 AM
Last Post: Littlebelka