SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
WH Smith & Post Office, Forest Hill
Scorpion

15-11-2007 06:25 PM

What do I think?

Well, I think WHS should move/close down, and that some other, better company should move in and use the space.
But wait! That CAN'T happen, can it? Becuase OUR Post Office will be in THERE come February!
EEK!!!!!!!!!!
It USED TO BE better years ago, but not for last few years IMHO.

Personally, I can't see how WHS will cope with the new influx of customers who will enter, come February when Forest Hill Post Office CLOSES DOWN!
Where will they all queue up?
How will the staff serve them? (they hardly manage now)
and how will WHS maintain their range of products?
I mean,its not exactly a large store, is it?

I stopped using the store a while ago, because of lack of staff, professionalism, customer service etc (ie, being told at 5.10 pm (when they will close at 5.30pm) that "I can't sell you a paper now because I have to count/batch them up for return etc" or total ignorance/lack of interest when asked about their loyalty card - 10 minutes later - "call the number on your receipt".
Charming!

One thing REALLY getting "my goat" at the moment is, the Post Office - no sorry! - the PEOPLE'S POST OFFICE! - advertisements currently on TV! Jeez! Seeing as how so many PO's have been shut down (and continue to be shut down) all over the country, how the hell do they justify spending ? thousands of ?'s on the celebrity's they have appearing in their current ad's?

TOTALY SHAMEFULL! (of BOTH "businesses")

Yours Disgustedly

Sue

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

29-11-2007 03:59 PM

Time will no doubt tell, but after my experience today I would anticipate severe problems for many of us in accessing the post office service on the first floor with any ease or speed. The lift is not really a lift, but a platform which goes up and down, similar to going up in a fork lift truck (as I would imagine it to be!). I used it today and it was painfully slow. You have to keep a finger on the button when in the lift, otherwise it stops. As its basic engineering it's probably more reliable than a proper lift, and will probably do the basic job, however I can visualise people with prams queuing up to use it, and causing a log jam elsewhere in the shop, also with people with mobility issues, or just loads of parcels to post. The staff have already received complaints apparently. To me it just seems more appropriate for occasional use rather than the workhorse item it surely needs to be.

brian

29-11-2007 05:08 PM

I agree very low morale at WHS for some years. I am amazed at has not been closed as cannot believe it makes a profit.
On Sats meant to open at 9am ( which is minimum 1 hour later than other paper shops locally ) but rarely open on time.
Hopefully the joint post office will mean WHS still stays in SE 23.

david.lathwell

30-11-2007 01:39 PM

Hi - I've just joined the forum. I think that this branch is in desperate need of a refurb when the PO opens. And the fact that they have now competely removed their CD section now upstairs, makes me want to go there even less!

However, if this is of interest to you, if you have a clubcard, you can get 200 points (?2) when you spend ?5.
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/vouchers/bo...CS2007.htm

sydenham74

30-11-2007 08:36 PM

I would agree with what's been said about this shop up thread, shabby and cluttered. If the post office move means a refurb' this will be a positive thing.

I rarely use it, I think one of the last times I went in, there was a scuffle between a shoplifter, shoplifter's friend and the security guard at the doorway, effectly trapping customers in the shop until the guard manoeuvred the shoplifter out the way.

Not the best FH shopping experience I've ever had.

thenutfield

30-11-2007 10:29 PM

As the starter of this thread I thought i should do more than just grumble, so I have emailed WH Smith. See below (actually, that is just more grumbling, isnt it?!)
I will post any response I get.

Dear Sir/Madam
I am writing to express my concern at the general condition of the Forest Hill branch of WH Smith. In general, your stores are well stocked, well maintained and the staff are helpful. I am sorry to say that this is not my (or others') experience of the Forest Hill branch.

The shop appears generally run-down and shabby, it is poorly stocked and the staff seem to be suffering with very low morale. I have been told at least half an hour before closing that they have run out of newspapers - when papers are clearly visible - only to find out later that this is because they have already batched them up as 'unsold'.
I have not experienced this myself, but I have been told that sometimes the store does not open on time.

The shop is on 2 floors but the customer 'lift' is no more than a goods lift and not suitable for providing proper access to the 1st floor.

I understand that the Post Office is due to be relocated into this store (on the 1st floor) in the near future. Is this opportunity going to be used to refurbish the store generally?

As a town centre, Forest Hill is struggling a bit at the moment to sustain decent shops. I and many others are keen to support our local WH Smith, but you are not making it very easy for us!

I look forward to your comments

michael

02-12-2007 04:12 PM

In case anybody reads the News Shopper I have been slightly misquoted. I did not 'welcome the plans' to move the post office into WHSmith. I am pleased that with all the other post office closures happening we are keeping a local branch, but it is a shame that such a busy local post office is being squeezed into the top floor of WHSmith.

roz

03-12-2007 08:49 AM

I was wondering about that, Michael.......

thenutfield

15-12-2007 11:00 PM

thenutfield wrote:
As the starter of this thread I thought i should do more than just grumble, so I have emailed WH Smith. See below (actually, that is just more grumbling, isnt it?!)
I will post any response I get.

Dear Sir/Madam
I am writing to express my concern at the general condition of the Forest Hill branch of WH Smith. In general, your stores are well stocked, well maintained and the staff are helpful. I am sorry to say that this is not my (or others') experience of the Forest Hill branch.

The shop appears generally run-down and shabby, it is poorly stocked and the staff seem to be suffering with very low morale. I have been told at least half an hour before closing that they have run out of newspapers - when papers are clearly visible - only to find out later that this is because they have already batched them up as 'unsold'.
I have not experienced this myself, but I have been told that sometimes the store does not open on time.

The shop is on 2 floors but the customer 'lift' is no more than a goods lift and not suitable for providing proper access to the 1st floor.

I understand that the Post Office is due to be relocated into this store (on the 1st floor) in the near future. Is this opportunity going to be used to refurbish the store generally?

As a town centre, Forest Hill is struggling a bit at the moment to sustain decent shops. I and many others are keen to support our local WH Smith, but you are not making it very easy for us!

I look forward to your comments

by the way - Smiths never bothered to reply to this. tut tut.

multisync

16-12-2007 12:31 PM

I agree with you about WHSmith,only last week I went to purchase a book on DIY.I asked the assistant where Icould find DIY books over there she said Isadly looked for them,where I asked again.She took me to a pile of books on the floor,all the same title,I did mean the DIY section,she said thats all we have
Quite sad considering its so near Christmas!

shzl400

16-12-2007 12:40 PM

Their assistants seem to have barely a brain cell between them. Yesterday I was looking for a book that I know Smiths have on special offer. The yokel behind the counter looked it up on his computer and said no, they didn't have any. I was just on my way out of the shop when I spotted a whole stack of them....

Sandy67

16-12-2007 01:04 PM

i didnt know about the post office moving or shutting Huh

but im grateful for the info ...

it seems rather silly to locate it on the first floor if they must put it in smiths .

Scorpion

18-02-2008 10:03 PM

I will start by apologising, BUT, I had an absoultely despairing (?) time in Forest Hill's new "Post Office" today. My first visit to WH Smith's/Post Office venture in dear old Forest Hill SE23.
My last PO visit was last Tuesday 12th Feb, one day before they TOTALLY shut down for good Ohmy

I will also end with an apology, right now I think, because otherwise, I will rant on endlessly.

Why oh why?!

I am speechless YET full of......... complaints!

I dare not say a word beyond the last one that is oh so important......... FEEDBACK!
I really am so annoyed and disappointed (I knew I would be, from months ago when IT was announced) and I wonder ............... what do YOU think?!

Feedback? Please

Sue,
still extremely disappointed, shocked and mourning the loss of a great service (and a lifeline to many people within the area)

bigjulie

19-02-2008 09:13 AM

Nice balloons...Smart lift....I am trying to be positive

Downside? it's all a bit small

Mrjamon

19-02-2008 09:42 AM

I like it, still does the same job. Looks cleaner and smarter.

roz

19-02-2008 12:19 PM

I have to say that early concerns have not materialised, but then it hasn't been busy when I was in. I am pleased to see that the staff have a better attitude to customers than the previous bunch as there were frequent screaming rows in the old place. Smiths seem to have reorganised the rest of the shop so it looks a lot better also.
Time will tell.....

nevermodern

19-02-2008 01:01 PM

I popped in there and it seemed pleasantly busy. Clean and tidy and modern.

nevermodern

19-02-2008 01:02 PM

What made your experience so bad, Scorps?

Red67

19-02-2008 02:37 PM

roz wrote:
I have to say that early concerns have not materialised, but then it hasn't been busy when I was in. I am pleased to see that the staff have a better attitude to customers than the previous bunch as there were frequent screaming rows in the old place. Smiths seem to have reorganised the rest of the shop so it looks a lot better also.
Time will tell.....

have to agree with you roz; i have only been in once so far but was actually pleasantly surprised - think it might have a positive effect on Smiths all round as well, and lord knows that place needs it..... maybe we're being wildly optimistic!
There were a few people grumbling about having to use the stairs but there is a lift for those who need it.....

brian

19-02-2008 02:40 PM

Are we being a bit hard.
I think the solution we have now is the only way we were going to retain both WHS and Post Office.
It is amazing to see that WHS still open , whenever I go in it is very quiet.
Maybe this is not ideal but would have been far worse to lose either or both institutions

Quite honestly I am amazed at the number of people who still seem dependent on Post Office
Stamps and other items available all over and Pensions and other benifits have been paid into bank accounts for years

Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Direct tel no for post office at 295 Stanstead Rd? ladywotlunches 2 4,563 24-04-2020 11:30 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Post Office open? NannaBloom 8 7,241 23-04-2020 04:01 PM
Last Post: NannaBloom
  Post Office @ WH Smith Mr_Numbers 7 10,232 08-08-2014 05:41 PM
Last Post: jenros
  Planning: Old Post Office on Devonshire Road Cidered 18 27,913 05-02-2013 07:57 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Forest Hill Delivery Office Gaz 13 27,667 24-10-2012 09:07 AM
Last Post: isaglanzer
  Old post office sorting depot, Devonshire Road bella 8 11,470 13-07-2011 10:02 AM
Last Post: blushingsnail
  Old Post Office on Devonshire Road snoopy 2 6,062 02-07-2010 05:45 PM
Last Post: snoopy
  Honor Oak Post Office - Good News! Tersie 0 4,125 07-05-2008 01:44 PM
Last Post: Tersie
  Dartmouth Road Post Office Police Action 27/09/07? admin 0 4,667 14-10-2007 08:40 PM
Last Post: admin