SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Politically Motivated Teachers
jon14

05-07-2011 01:08 PM

It looks even worse when you look at the transcript.

Ed: These strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are still going on. But parents and the public have been let down by both sides because the government has acted in a reckless and provocative manner. After today’s disruption, I urge both sides to put aside the rhetoric, get round the negotiating table and stop it happening again.

Q: I listened to your speech in Wrexham where you talked about the Labour Party being a movement. A lot of people in that that movement are the people who are on strike today and they’ll be looking at you and thinking ‘Well, You’re describing these strikes as wrong. Why aren’t you giving us more leadership as the leader of the Labour movement?’
Ed: At a time when negotiations are still going on I do believe these strikes are wrong. And that’s why I say both sides should, after today’s disruption, get round the negotiating table, put aside the rhetoric, and sort the problem out. Because the public and parents have been let down by both sides. The government has acted in a reckless and provocative manner.

Q: I spoke to Francis Maude before I came here and the tone he was striking was a very conciliatory one. Do you there’s a difference between the words they are saying in public and the attitudes they strike in private behind the negotiations. Are the negotiations in good faith would you say?
Ed: What I say is that the strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are still going on. But the government has acted in a reckless and provocative manner in the way it has gone about these issues. After today’s disruption, I urge both sides to get round the negotiating table, put aside the rhetoric, and stop this kind of thing happening again.

Q: It’s a statement you’ve made publicly, and you’ve made to me and this will be broadcast, obviously, but have you spoken privately to any union leaders and expressed your view to them on a personal level, would you say?
Ed: What I say in public and in private, to everybody involved in this, is get round the negotiating table, put aside the rhetoric, and stop this kind of action happening again. These strikes are wrong because negotiations are still going on. But parents and the public have been let down by the government as well, who’ve acted in a reckless and provocative manner.

Q: You’re a parent. I’m a parent. People who will be watching this are parents. Has it affected you personally, this action? Has it affected your family, your friends, I mean. What is the net effect of that going to be on parents having to take a day off work today?
Ed: I think parents up and down the country have been affected by this action, and it’s wrong at a time when negotiations are still going on. Parents have been let down by both sides because the government has acted in a reckless and provocative manner. I think that both sides should, after today’s disruption, get round the negotiating table, put aside the rhetoric, and stop this kind of thing happening again.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Politically Motivated Teachers - brian - 30-06-2011, 11:01 AM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - brian - 30-06-2011, 12:28 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - brian - 30-06-2011, 04:34 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - roz - 30-06-2011, 10:56 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - brian - 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - brian - 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - sandy - 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - roz - 01-07-2011, 08:41 PM
RE: Politically Motivated Teachers - roz - 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM