SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
People With Choldren Suffer The Most Under The Coalition
Bcm

25-06-2011 01:33 PM

The space before the question mark was always the give away ;-)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jgdoherty

25-06-2011 02:48 PM

robin orton

You are correct as Roz did raise a point about a persistance whereby some people think they have a "right to have financial and societal superiority over us".

This is a substantially differrent expression from your response which advocated the "need to have a degree of 'societal superiority' in that they need to command respect".

There is an older argument about motivation and different tiers of need, a not insignificant part of which is self awareness, self-esteem, social recognition and accomplishment. I do not recall a need for societal superiority being defined as a positive motivator.

But, in review, perhaps this is all much too intense for our local forum. Perhaps we should follow your recomendation and let someone close the thread.

And then we'd be only one step way from closing the forum.

For clarity and to avoid mis-representtion, I certainly was not advocating the use of the side door to prevent any expression of views.

I welcome your call for Antediluvians of the world to unite.

Do let us know what colour of hats you plan to wear.

rshdunlop

25-06-2011 06:01 PM

Is anyone else confused about what jgdoherty is actually objecting too in this thread? I'm not saying he's not making a valid point, I'm just not sure what that point actually is.

rshdunlop

25-06-2011 11:52 PM

Correction: *to*

robin orton

26-06-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:
There is an older argument about motivation and different tiers of need, a not insignificant part of which is self awareness, self-esteem, social recognition and accomplishment. I do not recall a need for societal superiority being defined as a positive motivator.

Is that Maslow's hierarchy of needs and all that? I don't think the monarchy should be defended on the basis that it's good for HM's self-esteem! On the other hand some antediluvians might argue that her 'societal (how about 'social'?) superiority' was good for us, that 'knowing your place' can sometimes make you feel better about yourself.

jon14

27-06-2011 09:26 AM

I quite often find myself wondering what jhgdoherty is really trying to say.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields