SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Hello, Moving to FH soon
Nathan

13-02-2008 09:47 PM

Hello all,

Myself and my wife are moving to FH soon (as soon as our solicitor gets off his expensively rested behind and sorts out some paperwork) and I have been encouraged by the frequency and variety of posts on this forum. Gives the impression of a good community.

Am a tad concerned by the woes of the trains tho. We thought moving away from Putney Bridge and the dreaded District Line would enrich our lives with hassle free travel. Perhaps there is simply no such thing for us commuters any more.

Sounds like soon there will be one more 'sardine' to pack into a random train between 7am and 9am to London Bridge.

Anyhoo... Just thought I would say hello and try to leech some more info on the area before the move... (any day now Mr Solicitor!)

All the best

Nathan

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

13-02-2008 10:00 PM

If you are living in Putney then you will probably need to seek out the posh estate, Horniman Heights (not my term I hasten to add, one an estate agent invented), from there only a role down the hill into Dulwich proper (rather than UDB, no doubt others can explain this term). Horniman Heights is to posh to have a train station, or a pub, or a post office, and even our off license has gone now. If you want some real SE London then we also have plenty to offer.

Check out the other forum here for what locals think of our community - currently we think that we can best be described as the short lived BBC soap opera Eldorado

BD - Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Nathan

13-02-2008 10:04 PM

baggydave wrote:
If you are living in Putney then you will probably need to seek out the posh estate...

Shoulda said, am in an ex authority place, can't afford to live in Putney or at least get anything over a 1/2 bed flat. Really want some outside space. There are some ropey areas in Putney/Fulham

Am originally from Belfast so would stand out in a posh estate like a polar bear in the jungle (Lost still doin my head in) FWIW we are moving off Standstead road

Nathan

13-02-2008 10:05 PM

lol at Eldorado... quality drama.

robwinton

13-02-2008 11:54 PM

We too were in Putney before moving here, and I must say that (and I will probably take a lot of flack about this here, I know) however bad the train crush is here, it doesn't quite reach the standards of Putney trains (we lived on the Barnes end so were slightly better off than some)

I would not be unduly worried about this. You've made a good choice

davidl

14-02-2008 11:30 AM

I can agree with Rob - you've made a good choice. And it's good to see another Belfast native joining the ranks of se23 - we're a small but vocal minority.

Trains aren't bad from Forest Hill station (especially compared to the SW London commute or to Honor Oak Park, Brockley or New Cross Gate). Sometimes they may be crowded, but on the plus side they're above ground and have opening windows.

Andy

14-02-2008 11:49 AM

Depending whereabouts off Stanstead you may find Catford/Catford Bridge closer. The train service is quite reliable but we are packed in like pilchards at peak time. Catford is not posh enough for sardines.

Nathan

14-02-2008 11:53 AM

Andy wrote:
Depending whereabouts off Stanstead you may find Catford/Catford Bridge closer.

Up the top end - closer to FH station so it is there that I shall squeeze in, ta for the top tho!

davidl wrote:
it's good to see another Belfast native joining the ranks of se23 - we're a small but vocal minority.

No surprise there Smile Am actually a Bangor man, but mention Bangor over here and most people think you are welsh Smile [/quote]

davidl

14-02-2008 12:36 PM

Nathan wrote:
No surprise there Smile Am actually a Bangor man, but mention Bangor over here and most people think you are welsh Smile

Ah - Bangor, the heart of the North Down Riviera...

[stopping now before it all gets too parochial and we start talking about Tayto crisps, soda farls and brown lemonade]

BarCar

14-02-2008 01:07 PM

Nathan wrote:
Am actually a Bangor man.

Is that Bangor before or after they ruined the seafront with the marina? That is of course the point in the town's history when it started going to the dogs IMHO. Of course we posh bathers would take the waters at Ballyholme anyway so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much.

davidl wrote:
stopping now before it all gets too parochial and we start talking about Tayto crisps, soda farls and brown lemonade

Ah - such reverie - Tayto Smokey Bacon crisps - I once had an entire box imported along with many litres of Club Orange - not my finest dietary moment for sure but certainly worth it

This thread is perhaps now a little "beyond se23"...

Nathan

14-02-2008 02:25 PM

BarCar wrote:
Is that Bangor before or after they ruined the seafront with the marina?

Bit of both really, been there before during and after. Ballyhome you say, spent many an evening down that way, my auld fella lives round there

BarCar wrote:
Is that Bangor before or after they ruined the seafront with the marina?
This thread is perhaps now a little "beyond se23"...

We need our own sub forum... Thumbsup

davidl

14-02-2008 02:42 PM

Ah, Ballyholme - have had the odd pint down that way myself.

Maybe the new Forest Hill Pools could be designed in the style of the sadly-missed Pickie Pool? Nothing like bathing in the open air with the breeze coming off the lough in the midst of a traditional Irish summer. Could be just the thing for Forest Hill - an alternative to Brockwell Lido (see what I did there, making it local again?)

robwinton

14-02-2008 04:17 PM

too late - you've been "beyonded"

Nathan

14-02-2008 05:07 PM

robwinton wrote:
too late - you've been "beyonded"

Gash, first post and I am upsetting the apple cart.

robwinton

14-02-2008 05:25 PM

Nathan wrote:
Gash, first post and I am upsetting the apple cart.

yup, you are on probation now having sponsored thread drift

better watch out!

"Keep it clean,
Keep it free,
Keep it SE23"
Laugh

Sherwood

14-02-2008 08:44 PM

If you can hold out until 2010, the ELL will bring additional 12 (I think) trains per hour (to New Cross Gate).

PVP

15-02-2008 09:41 AM

Brown lemonade? You don't think your mam was tricking you into thinking old tea was in fact fizzy pop?

davidl

15-02-2008 10:37 AM

pvp wrote:
Brown lemonade? You don't think your mam was tricking you into thinking old tea was in fact fizzy pop?

Ah, yes. If you haven't tried it, you really ought to. Looks like watery coke, tastes like "normal" white lemonade. There's a useful wiki entry which explains it much better than I would. I am not sure that the shipyard explanation is anything more than urban legend, though.

AMFM

15-02-2008 01:44 PM

davidl wrote:

pvp wrote:

Ah, yes. If you haven't tried it, you really ought to. Looks like watery coke, tastes like "normal" white lemonade. There's a useful wiki entry which explains it much better than I would. I am not sure that the shipyard explanation is anything more than urban legend, though.

Is brown lemonade the same as red lemonade? I'm from Ireland, just south of the border and this is the first time I've ever heard of brown lemonade - even though my mother's from Belfast and I went to uni there!

davidl

15-02-2008 02:21 PM

At risk of sounding facetious - it's slightly different, being brown in colour rather than red. The idea is pretty much the same, though. I had a friend from south of the border who asked the same thing and was convinced that we were probably talking about the same thing, until I brought a bottle of the Belfast variant back after a trip home. Funnily enough, after a ferret of the interweb, I can't find any pics to illustrate the difference.

Has to be said, I'm not all that surprised that you didn't come across it, since it's not one of those things that you'll find being served in bars - you'll find it in shops, though. I think that the creeping march of Coca-Cola capitalism probably means that its days are numbered in any case.

Probably worth asking your mum if she remembers it.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields