SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Wine
christianna

28-02-2008 01:35 PM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > habibi]

Agree re Piat D'or although it seems to have improved a little with the remarketing it went through.

Don't knock Greek or Cypriot wines just because you got rubbish on holiday! There are several good ones out there.

http://www.greekwine.gr/frames/index.html

This link lists several wines which have all won awards including Ktima Gerovasiliou '90 1990 Bordeaux, amongst the eight best wines in the world!

Nuff said!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

28-02-2008 08:56 PM

I'll drink Piat D'or only if Robwinton says its OK.

Otherwise for me its still in the BLue Nun/Liebfraumilch/Mateus Rose/Cinzano Bianco category, ie something I used to take to student parties and then refused to drink, preferring to drink what other people brought along....

robwinton

28-02-2008 09:25 PM

heh! :-)

Once upon a time I was party to a wine tasting where the great and the good of the wine business competed in a wine tasting quiz for charity (Wine Relief, the wine business arm of Comic Relief).

Each section consisted of tasting a wine and answering four questions on it. In one round, a mystery wine (white) was tasted and no-one picked it as a cheap entry level wine. The average guess was that it was worth twice the price, and some said more. The wine, unsurprisingly, was Le Piat D'Or.

Now, blind tastings are notoriously difficult, but it probably says something that they didn't "expectorate" immediately.

I don't think I'd go so far as to recommend it, but in the scheme of things I think there are wines that are much worse.

However, I WOULD recommend Greek wines (it isn't all Retsina after all), but there again, you need to pick and choose.

PVP

29-02-2008 10:57 AM

I spend several weeks in Greece every year, always had much pleasure drinking whatever the local / seasonal wine was.

Sherwood

29-02-2008 12:14 PM

The Greeks should know a thing or two about wine.
I think they have been making it for 3,000 years!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields