SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next > Last »
Forest Hill in the Times property section
Beavis

09-06-2012 06:55 PM

Hello. I've just moved to Forest Hill, but grew up in Lewisham and lived in various SEs all my life. Delighted to finally be in my favourite bit of the world.
This is my first post here: I just wanted to say that I am truly amazed anyone could have anything against a very nice, independent, wonderfully, carefully crafted cafe [note: contains art gallery] offering its services to those who fancy it. If it's wanted it will thrive. If not it will fall. Also I'm afraid it really isn't that expensive by current going rates. It's just that money seems to have got smaller.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

10-06-2012 08:05 AM

I've looked back at
My own posts to see the extent to which I have 'moaned' or 'complained'/ slagged off Canvas and Cream and other than comment about the pricing and comments they made on their website, and what appears to be a local obsession with the rich and famous, I can't find much at all in respect of 'slagging it off'. I have however noticed my own reference to it being a nice place, that we actually do go in there, that I think diversity is good etc. Its a pity people don't properly read and comment on the actual posts rather than be sidetracked and misled by the inaccurate mob hysteria that follows. Kind of a waste of a thread.

poolsneighbour

10-06-2012 08:30 AM

Then why create the negative post in the first place? People on here need to stop being so forthright and opinonated on everything and just calm down! If you were praising C&C then why start going on about how much you dislike it now?! Back tracking!

roz

10-06-2012 08:51 AM

I gave the positive comments at the same time as the criticism. How is that backtracking? People should read what posts actually say, not what they think they say.

nottinghillbilly

10-06-2012 10:49 PM

I Totally agree with BeavisThumbup

decords

11-06-2012 09:23 AM

The reason why you can’t see them Roz is because some of your posts have been deleted.

People didn’t think they saw them, they did see them.

roz

11-06-2012 06:50 PM

I dont think any posts Ive made on this thread have been deleted. Not sure how or why you would think that.

rshdunlop

11-06-2012 07:33 PM

There were some posts removed from the pools thread, but not this one, as far as I can tell.

lacb

12-06-2012 10:10 AM

Don't know about removed, but some posts, not sure but may include Roz's, have been moved to another thread:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...001&page=1

I am guessing because Norfolk was mentioned :-)

Cheeky

14-06-2012 06:15 PM

An unnecessarily negative comment made by Roz about C&C has in the past been removed from this forum I agree Decords.

Deano

14-06-2012 08:17 PM

Shall we give Roz a break? I think she's tried to show some contrition and whereas none of us agree with her, she does have a right to say if she think it's expensive and select. No doubt the owners have a market that they're aiming at and it isn't supposed to be a greasy spoon. We went to Canvas and Cream purely to see if what Roz said was true - so it's actually generating custom! It was closed so we had to go to teapot - which was nice.

oryx

15-06-2012 10:39 PM

Hear, hear, Deano! Everyone should be able to say what they think on here, within the obvious boundaries re. abuse and so on. It all makes for healthy debate.

For the record, I thought roz made some very good points.

Deano

30-06-2012 04:48 AM

Finally got to go to Canvas and Cream last night to see for myself. I have to say I think it is a fantastic addition to Forest Hill. The atmosphere was like a Parisian cafe and I didn't find prices on any way unreasonable. In fact I thought they were just right. We paid 30 quid a head for three delicious courses, drinks and service which is what you'd pay at Dartmouth Tandoori (which I like very much too). I thought how wonderful it was to sit in a quality restaurant at 11pm on a Friday in Forest Hill with the front open onto the south circular. The more of these types of establishments in forest hill the better.

Southlonder

01-07-2012 07:46 AM

assume you are joking about overlooking the south circular...! That is the one thing the FH does NOT have going for it.

ABC

01-07-2012 09:44 AM

Yes. Quite. The south circular does spoil it somewhat. As does the occasionally slow service. People often talk about the road as if it is an insurmountable obstacle getting in the way of the area's long-foretold gentrification. Not that I think you said this. But I wonder if this is true. There are of course plenty of places in South London with heavy traffic which still manage to keep up appearances. There has to be something worth the upkeep though. It seems to me that the central station area needs a really good rethink because it is such a natural focal point. Not that station redevelopment is always worth it but I think that in this case it really would lift the place if done sensitively.
Something else that seems to signal a more pleasant neighbourhood is a bookshop. Obviously lots of different kinds of people read and I think bookshops actually have a quietly enriching effect on communities. A room without books is like a body without a soul. The same applies to communities in my humble opinion.

nottinghillbilly

01-07-2012 02:41 PM

Hear Hear re; books and bookshops!
and no....WH Smith handy though it is does NOT qualify as a bookshop.Smile

robin orton

01-07-2012 03:02 PM

I agree a bookshop would posh the town centre up a bit. But I can't believe it would be commercially viable. Many years ago there was, briefly, a not-bad second hand bookshop in Dartmouth Road, but it didn't last long - and that was before the days of Amazon, Abebooks etc. I'd have thought that the long-established Kirkdale and Dulwich bookshops would between them have mopped up most of however much there is left of the SE23 market.

Deano

01-07-2012 04:19 PM

I wasn't actually joking about the south circular! It didn't seem that busy on Friday night and apart from the busses it wasn't too noisy. You could see the Capitol and you could have been in any swanky suburb. I agree with the comments about the station area. It makes Forest Hill look scruffy and unappealing. The swimming pool seems to have solves the empty shop crisis on Dartmouth road for the time being which is a positive.

jgdoherty

01-07-2012 05:56 PM

Opportunity or Threat - what does the South Circular bring to SE23.

Is it a ribbon development opportunity and therefore new business should see good access and a welcoming community as being a major plus points only tempered by reduced parking facility brought about the widely hated Red Route restrictions.

Or is it to be viewed as a huge threat in what it may or may not bring to SE23 as exampled by the perceived threat that the Domino's Pizza proposal has engendered at 120 Stanstead Road.

In my naivety I had not considered what has been rather forcefully put to me over recent days, that if the branding associated with that proposal had been Pizza Express and not Domino's Pizza, many of the objections would not have emerged and the proposal would be warmly welcomed.

The area needs an eclectic mix of business, both new and old, with an acknowledged acceptance that not everything will be welcomed by everyone.

The real risk is to reject this moderated acceptance and to create a cultural and commercial desert.

Sibelius

01-07-2012 08:29 PM

jgdoherty, if it had been a Pizza Express it would have meant a decent sit-down restaurant, not a take-away-only using up far too much un-needed space of a nice-looking building and the other factors Dominos had against it (bike noise, the amount of other pizza delivery firms we already have, etc). That's all.
I hesitated adding to this particular thread re this point but in fact it is 'on-message', as a few people on here seem to want to make some sort of statement about their perception of 'class' in this area, or turn valid discussions about what we simply want into huge generalisations about snobbery etc, for no reason other than to push an argument whenever there is any mention that our local areas are doing 'alright' for themselves. It's dull.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BBC Programme- property management firm operating in Forest Hill roz 2 7,224 04-05-2011 06:13 AM
Last Post: roz