SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Forest Hill in the Times property section
roz

30-05-2012 08:20 PM

I also take issue with the statement about moving out of the area before the kids get to secondary school age, as things are changing around here for the better. Sydenham Girls is getting a huge capital investment, the results are improving and its status is growing. You can still stay in Forest Hill whilst your teenagers go to Prendergast , Kingsdale, Forest Hill Boys, or many of the other booming secondary schools around here or even the Langley Park lot which is actually only 20 minutes drive away, or if the mood takes you some of the Harris Schools if they take your fancy, although not mine I have to say. Personally I dont want to have to move out of the area. I am keen that my children go to local secondary schools and have local friends and I dont have to traipse around London or Kent to parents evenings. I have a friend who was big on Catholic schools, has her 4 kids all over the place and get up at 5am to get them all to the right places. Thats not the life I want for us or our children. If we move, it will be for other reasons, and not just for the so called better schools. The grass is always greener.

I see Mr Coulson, by now our most famous resident, has been invited to partake in Scottish hospitality this evening.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

30-05-2012 08:21 PM

And again, why on earth are Nigella etc continuously talked about like they are the best thing for Forest Hill? We have plenty more jewels in the crown; who needs a couple of washed up pseudo Tories?

MightyMouse

07-06-2012 01:03 PM

All I know is that Forest Hill is clearly a very popular place to be right now. I've been trying to find a flat to rent there since the beginning of the year, on and off, and more seriously for the last two months. However, if you're not the first to view somewhere you won't get it - and as I have just discovered to my cost, even when you're down to have the first viewing of somewhere someone may come along and beat you to it by taking it without even viewing it first. Angry

I'm still keen to live there - the place seems to have a very vibrant community feel about it, and this website only reinforces that - but man, it's not easy to get in. Sad

sydenhamcentral

07-06-2012 11:18 PM

A famous art collector comes to a business in Forest Hill and buys the entire collection of a new artists work for exhibition in one of Londons most famous galleries.

It doesn't matter if they are Tories or not Roz. It's news and it's positive for Forest Hill, the high street, Canvas & Cream, a business which, along with others, has given a real boost to the area, and the artist.

How about a bit or prise rather than daft mud slinging politics eh?

Blimey, I don't even live there and I feel proud of the place.

roz

08-06-2012 05:43 AM

Canvas and Cream has given a real boost to the area. Have they? Or are they simply cashing in on the hard work and achievements of others' hard work? It's a nice looking caff, don't get me wrong , but everyone I know whose been there says how expensive it is and that they can't really afford to go back. Would prefer to see something more inclusive and less elitist than somewhere who seems to state openly that it only wants the right sort of people to hire its venue. I doubt if David Hockney would support that sort of thing- he's a lot more egalitarian.
More down to earth. Sustainability is the main key to regeneration not obscure self indulgent art created for the elite to amuse itself with, nor the Saatchis.
There are plenty more jewels in our crown: why focus on the more odious side?

Tinkerbell

08-06-2012 07:42 AM

Would you have rather seen Dominos moving into the unit? They are, after all, very "down to earth" and inclusive, and all. Can't accuse the soggy dough 'n tomato sauce outlets of being elitist. And there are a gazillion of those in SE23 already. Or are we allowed to have a bit of variety for everyone?

This is a local business, drawing on the skills of e.g. local artists from Havelock Walk, a therapy business etc. Last time I walked past, all I could see was SE23 folks, having a coffee, chatting, eating. Clearly, the elite amusing themselves then...?

roz

08-06-2012 08:29 AM

I have never frequented a Dominos so no not necessarily my ideal business however better than an empty unit which this has been for years. You might have seen myself and my family in there if you walked past: we have been in. The coffee and cake are very nice but at over £25 for that one Sunday and around , we estimated, £40 for the most simplest of lunches ,it's not somewhere we can afford to go regularly. It's a cafe. I think
most of us expect a cafe outing to be affordable. If we want to spend that much money the offer would have to be more substantial and special, such as a pub lunch. £40 is probably the upper limits of our monthly entertainment budget in these constrained times. If se23 folk can afford it , great but from my and my friends experience its out of the reach of most of us.That's what I
mean about elitist. Let's hope pockets remain deep around here for some time then if this is to stay in business as its not good if local people feel priced out of town.

rshdunlop

08-06-2012 08:33 AM

Is it not elitist of you to say that those of us who can afford to eat in places like Canvas and Cream should not be able to do so?

It's not a cafe. It is a restaurant. There are plenty of cafes in Forest Hill now. A few places to have a slightly more special meal are to be welcomed. I had an anniversary lunch with my husband in C and C last month, and a birthday lunch at the Sylvan Post with all the family last weekend. Previously we would never have gone to FH for special occasions. Now we do, and spend money in other local businesses while we are there.

Your post is nonsensical, roz. Because it doesn't suit you, the place has no merit?

This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 08:40 AM by rshdunlop.

michael

08-06-2012 08:37 AM

Canvas and Cream is not always my first choice of cafes in Forest Hill, mainly because it isn't ideal with a child (let alone three of them), but that's fine with me. If it were the only cafe in Forest Hill I would be a little upset that it might not be inclusive enough to cater for my precise needs, but we have many good cafes in Forest Hill, each catering for a slightly different market.

The way Canvas and Cream have linked between the high street and Havelock Walk artists, with a gallery and studios in the rear, is exactly right for the location. The quality of the interior is great, and making Forest Hill a destination for London's arts elite, does no harm at all. And if it does meet with David Hockney's exacting vision for our town centre, then he is welcome to open his own art gallery/cafe.

Cheeky

08-06-2012 09:05 AM

Wow, you've really surpassed yourself this time Roz, stop knocking new places opening up in the area, some opinions should be kept to yourself (believe me my sharp tongue is regularly held on to very tightly), you should be ashamed of yourself.

There's plenty of places in FH covering all price brackets, stop publicly knocking the decent places YOU think don't have a place in OUR community. I will happily pay a little extra for the ambiance, surroundings and higher quality food and drink that can be found there and I've no doubt many others would too so please be quiet.

roz

08-06-2012 09:16 AM

I'll let David know.

Diversity is good however my concern remains about pricing and whether this will prove to be sustainable in the long run once the novelty factor wears off. I remain concerned about cultural elitism and would suggest that more effort is made to demonstrate inclusion and not the opposite. I can think of plenty of good examples, the Blue Mountain in East Dulwich, the Hill Station in Telegraph Hill for instance , the Poetry Cafe in Covent Garden. I'm not a stranger to 'arty' places and think that somehow giving an impression of aiming for a restricted clientele isn't great for business.

roz

08-06-2012 09:27 AM

Dear Cheeky, this is a public forum. I believe most opinions exc racist and abusive are encouraged. Somehow I dont think preventing debate and discussion by telling people to 'be quiet' is playing the game. Where have I knocked lots of places opening up exactly?

Perhaps as someone who has lived here a long time I don't particularly like being told I should be grateful when Nigella turns up to flash the cash.

Cheeky

08-06-2012 09:40 AM

You forgot one. You slagging off local businesses trying to make a go of things also isn't great for business.

roz

08-06-2012 09:47 AM

Suggest that they start to take the community with them. That might help.

Cheeky

08-06-2012 09:47 AM

Yes your personal vendetta against C&C has not gone unnoticed.

rshdunlop

08-06-2012 09:51 AM

roz - why do you assume C and C are not taking the community with them? On the basis of the opinion of you and your friends? That's not a very wide ranging sample.

You have consistently complained about new businesses - the coffee shops are too expensive, nowhere to park the buggy, not child friendly (with the exception of the Tea Pot), the new pools are, according to you on another thread, a wasted opportunity (and this is before they have even opened). You are entitled to your opinion, of course, I'm just responding to your query above about when you've slagged off other businesses.

roz

08-06-2012 10:09 AM

Oh. I hadnt realised that adding opinions on places , usually adding to already existing threads, directly equated to 'slagging off' , or complaining. In which case, perhaps we should abolish the entire website , should someone inadvertently sayi something negative about anything at all.

dartmouth

08-06-2012 10:20 AM

Its mind boggling that some narrow minded people on this forum would actually moan about an empty premises being occupied by an original, independent, community minded business like Canvas and Cream. In one breath there is talk about empty premises needing to be occupied but then in the next, the business owners who put their faith in Forest Hill as a good place to set up their business venture are criticised for the price of their tea and cake!?

VARIETY is the key to any successful and bustling town centre and VARIETY is what we are now finally getting. There are now places to eat, drink and be merry for ALL price ranges and tastes so what is the point in moaning about one particular business when it doesnt suit YOUR particular taste. Furthermore, I would welcome any good publicity for Forest Hill such as the type we have seen recently with Nigella-gate. The point is that Forest Hill is now attracting attention from the wider world whilst still managing to offer great ammenities for the entire spectrum of the local community. This is a GREAT thing.

If Canvas and Cream is too expensive for you Roz, then go somewhere else. There are plenty of us who will use it and enjoy spending what spare pennies we have in enjoying a great new addition to the town centre.

roz

08-06-2012 10:23 AM

I think people forget how much I love that bric a brac shop next to the Capitol. It really encourages footfall like nothing else in the area, apart from the Horniman of course. As a postcode we must by now have the best storage in the UK , judging by the rate these boxes seem to fly out of there.. Z

gingernuts

08-06-2012 10:27 AM

Interesting debate - since when was this a communist state where refeshment establishments must cater for the wider community?Personally I like diversity (whether it be posh cake shop or working man's cafe) and perfer a running business in the High Street rather than an empty shop space - even a Dominos Pizza would be better than an empty space in this area. I find it incredible that anyone would knock a business that is showing some level of success - especailly in these difficult times.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BBC Programme- property management firm operating in Forest Hill roz 2 7,335 04-05-2011 07:13 AM
Last Post: roz