SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Electoral Boundaries
robin orton

13-09-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:
[...] a new seat which may be called Dulwich and Sydenham or Dulwich and Forest Hill [...]

So far as I can see, the Boundary Commission plumps unquestioningly for 'Dulwich and Sydenham' - more seemly really, given that FH is merely a 19th century suburb of Sydenham, as I'm sure everyone recognizes.

I think it is unfortunate that those of us in Sydenham and FH wards are still going to be in a constitutency straddling borough boundaries (but different boroughs this time). No doubt this is inevitable given the terms of reference of the review, but I still think it is wrong in principle.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

13-09-2011 02:35 PM

We got a better deal out of it than some parts of the UK. The Boundary Commission is proposing that Salford and Manchester become a seat. That is a controversial decision and George Osborne loses his seat.

While the new Dulwich and Sydenham seat crosses borough boundaries, it's more locally focused than the current seats of Lewisham West and Penge (the latter goes back to Beckenham) and Dulwich and West Norwood. (The Lambeth side goes to a new Brixton seat)

JohnPaschoud

07-10-2011 09:35 AM

This area (the old Lewisham West constituency) suffered one of the greatest changes in the last boundaries review - which only came into effect at the 2010 elections. People who care about these things (probably a minority of us, but...) have only just really got used to that. The Boundary Commission initial proposals (far from set in stone!) involve yet another change for us, just as radical. AFAICS their main driver for imposing this on us is that they started at the bottom (of the map of London) and found they could fit 3 MPs neatly into the borough of Bromley!

Another disadvantage of "Dulwich and Sydenham" would be that the area most of us know as Forest Hill would be lost in the middle. People in Sydenham might fancy the idea of being 'twinned' with Dulwich - but I bet they'd be seen as the poor relations!

Despite the problems of straddling the borders of Lewisham and Bromley, there's a reasonable level of demographic consistency across most of the current Lewisham West & Penge constituency. An alternative with minimal change would be just to add Crofton Park ward to the current constituency. This would put us in the range of acceptable population. It's likely (under any proposal) that the other 2 constituencies in Lewisham would then also include parts of neighbouring boroughs.

Is the Forest Hill Soc intending to make representations to the BC? What's the consensus of their members? Are any other local groups (apart from us 'usual suspects' in the political parties) intending to get involved?

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does Everyone Know? Electoral Register ForTiger 0 4,505 18-11-2015 08:12 AM
Last Post: ForTiger