SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Stillness head and deputy retiring
chantelle

05-06-2011 02:47 PM

We were very keen on Stillness for our son to start 2012/13 reception. However the school has now advertised that it is recruiting both a new head and deputy due to retirement. Do any parents have any thoughts on what this means for the school? My impression is that the head's leadership and ethos were crucial to the school's success. What happens now?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pebble

05-06-2011 07:52 PM

Don't worry - the Head post is being filled by an outstanding teacher - can't say more than that

chantelle

06-06-2011 08:45 PM

that's good to hear. I'm going to visit next week and will hopefully get a decent feel for the place. one thing that's a bit of a pain is the breakfast club and after school club being run through the ackroyd centre ... you can't have everything though!

Londondrz

07-06-2011 07:26 AM

The Head and Deputy give direction but the front line staff are the people your children interact with on a daily basis.

pebble

07-06-2011 08:22 AM

Yes, the success at Stillness is the strong and stable team of staff they have.

rmurraywest

07-06-2011 10:05 AM

I've no idea how teaching recruitment works - but I've just seen the TES at work, and the head's job is advertised with a closing date of the week after next - do they usually do that if someone already has the job? If not, I hope that the posts on here are not putting good candidates off applying?

pebble

07-06-2011 05:45 PM

mere formality

justathought

15-06-2011 06:43 AM

Hi there, just wondered why after school club at Ackroyd is a pain? Only asking as my kids are going to the nursery there and I am paranoid. Is your comment related to the distance from the school perhaps or the quality of the care! Thanks in advance.

Sherwood

15-06-2011 08:20 AM

I imagine this is only temporary because the school had a fire and some of the buildings are being rebuilt.

chantelle

15-06-2011 09:08 PM

my comment on Ackroyd was only to do with the distance from school and additional staff and children for my child to get to know - it seems to have a good reputation and you'd know better than me! It just sounds a lot to me to add to a 4 year old's day, from day one of starting school.

Honor Oak Mum

16-06-2011 09:44 PM

Hello - My son has been going to Acorn After School Club for over a year and loves it there. The staff are very friendly and they have lots of activities, including weekly drama classes. The staff will pick the children up from school - so not too much of a faff. They also run good holiday play schemes with trips out to adventure playgrounds , cinema etc. As you can guess, I'm a bit of a fan!
By the way - they have appointed an excellent Deputy Head who is a very experienced and effective teacher at the school. The Head is staying on until Christmas whilst they appoint her replacement.

charles941

16-06-2011 10:56 PM

Is this anything to do with a long standing teacher called Pooley?
The thing is she would be about 83 now which is wrong. Somaybe what is actually the case is the one after her and she is very dead indeed.

rmurraywest

17-06-2011 03:06 PM

That's so nice to hear about the afterschool club - my dd has her place confirmed there for Jan (from Dalmain, not Stillness). So glad your son enjoys it Honor Oak Mum.

chantelle

17-06-2011 04:05 PM

thanks Honor Oak Mum. I met the head today for a tour of the school and she said her replacement will be from outside but as you say they have appointed a teacher as the new deputy. We still need to visit Dalmain but so far have a good feeling for Stillness.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields