SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
High Paid Council Tennants should be evicted
michael

13-06-2011 05:26 PM

jgdoherty certainly puts some of this in perspective. But the article in the Telegraph that first kicked this off was referring to a Whitehall report rather than Westminster Council.

I don't see why on the face of it a household with four individuals earning £25k each needs a council house (or Housing Association property) rather than renting privately. I suspect that the vast majority of young people earning £25k per year live in private rented accommodation or part buy/part rent. I say young in contrast to most households with pensioners who will be earning less than £25k per person but they may already have paid off their mortgage. I see no reason for somebody with assets of £250k+ to automatically get a council house instead. The whole situation is complicated by individual circumstances and household size and income is just one part of the equation.

In a similar way I was appalled at the headline More than 90,000 live in 'inherited' council homes but when I think about it, I expect that most of these were one partner inheriting from their dead spouse, and I can't think of anything worse than turfing them out. But that does not mean there is not an issue (at a much lower rate) with children who have their own home inheriting a council house - that does not seem quite right.

Any change needs careful consideration, both to protect people already in subsidised housing, and to make sure the system is fair to all.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: High Paid Council Tennants should be evicted - michael - 13-06-2011 05:26 PM